New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Sights For Leopards........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking ahead to '06 has anyone put a tritium front sight on their cat rifle ? I'm thinking (a dangerous thing) that at the edge of dark it might make all the difference. Does anyone know a 'smith who might do the work ?..........JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I just used a good low power scope with good light transmission effiency.

In my case it wasn't seeing the sights (cross hairs in this case) but seeing the cat well enough place the shot. It was dusk and the cat was in a dark "hole" under some cover. If I hadn't had the scope, we would have had to turn on the lights to make him out and chanced spooking him.

I'd go wih a scope. If you want the tritium sights as a back-up, that might be something. Some who've followed-up wounded leopards might comments on tritium sights in that regard.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ

You'll handicap yourself with anything but a good scope. You'll also make the PH very nervous.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree a scope is best for those Leopards from a blind, you need that light gathering quality..I like the 3X Leupolds or a 1x4 on 1 or 2X....

But to answer your question Jim Brockman can fix you up...208-934-5050

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
JJ, I am taking a Leupold with a lighted recticle fine red dot have it with a German four post...The dot is the finest aiming sight I have ever used...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,Mark,Ray and Reteever,

Thanks I agree that a good scope is the #1 way to go. I am thinking if the scope goes teats up during the hunt I'd have a back-up.

In 1989 I was tasked with trying to shoot whitetail off the runways at the Beckley Airport. It was fenced in but the deer came in anyway. Over a 3 month myself and another State Trooper shot 68 deer. We went down to the local CocaCola plant and got 2 old Coke machines and took the can racks out of them and hung the deer in them to cool/age. It worked pretty well. It was all nighttime shooting. We tried several combinations of sights and rifles so I've done some low light work.

At the end of the three months we couldn't give a deer away and noticed no real reduction in the numbers of deer. I guess when a plane hits a deer it plays hell with the parts.

Well anyway I was thinking of night sights as a back up. Ray thanks for Jims number..........JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new scope for my 9.3x62, a lot with low light shooting in mind. I opted for a Helia 1-6X with a 42 mm reticle and illuminated dot. Seems like the best of two worlds -good light transmission and enough magnification.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On your rifle I would judst use a good scope with a lighted ret. If you plan a head and get the permits you may be able to bring in a police type riot gun with night sights in place.
Check with your PH, If he has to follow up on a wounded cat he may not want you involved.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about the Trijicon Accupoint scopes? These give you the best of both worlds: a conventional 1.25-4x or 3-9x scope with a Tritium aiming point which means no on/off switch and no batteries - it is lit 24/7. I am planning on buying one of each and I can't help but think that the 3-9x would be outstanding on a leopard rifle.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
JJ, I am taking a Leupold with a lighted recticle fine red dot have it with a German four post...The dot is the finest aiming sight I have ever used...

Mike

Mike

Is this the reticle you are discussing:

I would be interested in knowing how you find it. Preferably before your safar next year. Wink

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitrox:

That looks like the reticle on my Helia.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my country - Argentina - we hunt jabali (feral hog) in the night. It's legal and common practice. For this type of hunt I use Schimdt Und Bender 6x42 (fixed)or Zeiss or Herter & Reuss, with similar magnification. With this telescopic sights do you have a handicap for to see the animal in the last hours of light.
Good Hunting.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't want or like gimmick reticles, batteries or anything else that can go wrong...I like the KISS principle, so a plain 3X Leupold is still my choice of DGR scopes....

I agree you need a back up iron sight on any rifle, especially if you wound a Leopard, then you can snatch the scope off for follow up...I would recommend a standard 3/32 Ivory bead with a pop up night sigt as an option...I just like the 3/32 Ivory, its never failed me..but the red dealy bobs from NECG work real well also. I just put one on my new 416 Rem I just built and we'll see how it holds up and how it works...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle.
Of all the illiminated reticles I like it the best, wether turned on or off, at low or high power I like it the best.
It works perfectly good as a daytime scope as well. I have it mounted on my 9,3x74R double.
I used it on all my plains game in Zim.
Like Ray I do not want a reticle that is dependent upon a battery. The circle dot works good even when turned off.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
... so a plain 3X Leupold is still my choice of DGR scopes....

I hate to be hard on the elderly Smiler Smiler, but the Leup 3x has been discontinued for more than 20 years.

However, Leupold does offer a 2.5x28mm ultralight scope. http://www.leupold.com

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote