THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What gun is Saeed using in the 2003 Tanzania tape?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What gun is Saeed using in the 2003 Tanzania tape?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, last night I watched most of the Tanzania video, and am watching it again tonight. What is that long barreled rifle he is shooting? I thought he preferred a 375x416 Rigby, or was it 375x404 Jeffrey, it that what he is carrying?

Thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please someone correct me but I thought it was the 375/404 he built. I recall him describing it in a past thread. Perhaps a search would find that information.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I think it is the 404 wildcat...Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlelen,

The rifle is built by myself, based on a Dakota 76 action, and a Dan Lilja barrel finished at about 27 inches. The stock is from MPI, with brass pillars I made myself, as I did not have any of those aluminium pillars, so made these myself out of brass.

It is chambered for our own 375/404, and on this hunt we useds our own lathe turned copper bullets.

I also have my old 375/404, again built on a Dakota 76 action, but hase a shorter 23 inch barrel and a muzzle brake, and a McMillan stock.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I believe you are mistaken about this. If you get out your micrometer, you will find that you are shooting a larger bullet than .375.

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Will,

I hate to disappoint you, but the bullets we shot last year were all UNDER .375.

We made them all ourselves, on a small lathe that is not really fit for this sort of job.

Every single bullet is actually slightly different than any other. So I have to measure every single one.

Sizes we got varied from 0.372 all the way up to 0.377. So I checked every single one, and selected those that were 0.3745 to 0.3749, and used them in our loads for last year's hunt.

I have done the same for the bullets we made this year too.

WE have given up using this lathe, and are in the process of getting a better one for this purpose.

So, as you can see, one does not have to use a .375 caliber bullets for buffalo - even a smaller bullet will suffice

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If the bullets are produced in air-conditioned space, and then taken to the Tanganyika plains, the themal expansion of copper in that heat will show that actually the bullets are greater than .375 diameter, as I originally stated.

Please pack your micrometer and report back in September!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Will,

I leave all my engineering implements at home - Walter says I leave my brains there too when I go to Africa.

All I know is that if these bullets hit the animals in the right place, they die - Walter, again, has proven this to all of us.

Each time he misses, he says "no recoil"

He actually beleives I poad special, non lethal bullets for him to shoot.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It is a known fact that .416 diameter bullets result in less recoil, and better kills, than sub-.375 diameter bullets.

Assuming that you are a gentleman and would not load fake rounds for Walter, his explanation of "no recoil" is indeed proof that your bullets are greater than .375 in diameter.