THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Soft Case (Scoped Rifle) Recommendation

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soft Case (Scoped Rifle) Recommendation
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
What soft case do you guys like for your rifles? I guess I can't exactly throw my TuffPak into the back of whatever transportation we'll be using this summer, so I should probably pick up a good soft case that I can stow in my TuffPak. Just thought I'd see what you folks prefer.

Thanks (again).

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
J. W. Hulme makes a nice one.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
The boyt soft cases are excellent.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boyt, of course!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Russ in the tufpak you do not need a super case just somethig to hold it stable among clothes...I used those cases Cabelas sold for $10 dollars...New store opening and good for keeping out dust also.. IMOP

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Boyt. A good gun just seems to deserve a Boyt case.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I throw in my vote for the Boyt also... Mine is an old one but it's still tough as hell. Heavy canvas and an excellent heavy-duty brass zipper.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow... Boyt seems the way to go, eh?

Retreever: You're right, but I keep hearing about how folks pile things in the back and how a good soft case is required to give the rifle some protection. If I have the option, I'll just hang onto it, of course.

Sodakhntr: I'll take a look at what Hulme makes, too. Sure seems like Boyt gets most of the marks, though.

Thanks, folks.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at Boyt, then looked at the canvas cases from Cabelas. Could't see much difference and price is much cheaper ($50 versus about $80). Packed mine inside my TuffPak with clothing surronding it in the TuffSack and the rifle made it just fine to RSA. Here is the link to the Cabelas case.
Good luck,
Paul

Cabelas Canvas Case

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
Russel,

I have some of each and like both. The Hulme is more padded and "nicer" but costs more.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I have owned Boyt for a number of years but have never been overly impressed. Seem to wear quickly and zippers stick like hell. Just bought a couple of Red Oxx at the Houston Safari Club Convention. VERY impressed thusfar. thumb

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Boyt. I have been selling and using Boyt cases for 30 years. I have some that I bought for myself as supposed seconds some 25 yrs. ago and I still travel in them. Never have figured out why they were seconds. If you want a plain inexpensive case with padding then just get the Uncle Mike's ...works like a champ.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use any old soft case as it will take a beating. I like the cheaper canvas or a good used one from a pawn shop..Keep gun in soft case in the tuff pak..

Store your tuff pak at the Seacliff while your hunting along with whatever else you don't need, that saves weight on the charter flight, you can pick it up on the way out....

You will only need a soft case to protect the gun in the truck rack, but don't get one that is too thick as it won't fit in the racks...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Africase for sure. Used them for years, takes hard bumps, good canvas

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
As much as I hate to mention this - look at the Red-Oxx guncases. www.redoxx.com They are damn well made and can take tons of abuse. A little high in price, but you get what you pay for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BWN300MAG:
As much as I hate to mention this - look at the Red-Oxx guncases. www.redoxx.com They are damn well made and can take tons of abuse. A little high in price, but you get what you pay for.

Until two of you reminded me, I couldn't remember this company, but I had it in the back of my mind they made a case I was interested in (the Varmint Master).

Which one did you get, the Gun Runner or the Varmint Master? I see they have the "Flat Dog Gun Slip" now, too, which they "tested" in Zambia.

I'd rather get a soft case that will take a little abuse without coming apart. I'd heard good things about Red Oxx but, as I said, had forgotten their name.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ, Africase and Red OXX are very nice but a little pricey. I use Boyt simply because they do the job and are reasonably priced. Ray is right about thicknes for the gun rack. Any case will work as long as it is well padded and fairly well made. These cases will take a lot of abuse so dont sweat it too much. Get one you like. It propbably really dosnt make a difference in this case. The only thing to consider is canvas versus nylon but in Africa unless you are in the swamps it dosnt matter either.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris, here are my reasons why I'm not that keen on those cases - for travel in general, nor for Africa in particular.

They are primarily meant for storage purposes in cubbards and safes. They don't close properly (sooner or later the rifle will drop out). For use in car, they lack a zipper to be able to get hold of the gun and get rid of it again quickly. And, probably most important of all: they don't have a rugged outer layer (canvas or likewise) that protects the rifle against thorns, dust, bumpbs etc etc. They also lack carrying handles, and are just way too flimsy for my taste.

Cases that go to Africa are just about ready to ditch after a couple of weeks on the back of the truck. There are just tons of cases available at your local gun store/Walmart that don't cost more than 10-20$, that have a canvas outer (or cordura, if you absolutely must), and which you won't mind leaving in camp when you return home again. They'll be dusty as anything by that time.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Russell,
I have one of the Gun Runner models. Very tough, not a case you would want to leave behind after safari. If you have a nice wood stock on your rifle get some kind of slip (I would not pay for a high dollar Red-Oxx one, it is after all just a damn gun slip) for it though. The insulation of the case will rub off the finish. Plus Red-Oxx has a lifetime guarantee. You cannot beat that. I have the Gun Runer case, a Gator bag, and a simple backpack. I would own more of their stuff, if one of the co-owners was not such a prick. But hell, there are a bunch of good cases out there it really is just about what you like and can afford.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I went with the Hoyt at first, but if you have nice wood stocks, be careful. That brass zipper is like a magnet to fine wood and blued steel.

I Like my Bob Allen just as well. It was cheaper, had more padding and a very heavy duty nylon zipper.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Russell,

mho's advice is good. I ended up buying a soft case at the cooperative in Hoedspruit RSA for about 20 dollars and it has been just what I needed. The South Africans make good low-priced soft cases. The important things for me are: carrying handles, 3/4 or full length zipper to get it in and out easily, sturdy outer material with moderate padding. Too much padding just makes it bulky, probably won't fit into a truck mounted rack and the main concern is superficial scratches, not stock breaking protection. No need to spend a lot.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
... the main concern is superficial scratches, not stock breaking protection. No need to spend a lot.

This is good information, thanks. I really had gotten the idea that they just kind of pile rifles in the back of some Land Rover or whatever and went bouncing down dirt roads -- I had all kinds of visions of my scope being knocked off zero. If scratches are my main worry, then I won't be worried. My rifle is a shooter, not a collector piece. I'll now shop for a case accordingly.

Thanks very much.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Boyt for both rifle and shotgun, the quality seems "pretty good but not great". The two big factors for me were:
1. Exterior pocket for sectioned cleaning rod, bore guide, CLP/patches, Leupold lenspen, stock screwdriver. (One-piece rod and more gear stays in camp in the big hard case).
2. The zipper is on the top of the case, not the bottom. Long term, I don't want to risk my gun falling on concrete or rocks because the zipper failed or i forgot to zip it.
Works for me!

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel,
Your gun will always be in a gun rack within the soft case while in the truck, or in your hands...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used 2 of these. They really protect the gun nicely and have a dense closed cell foam muzzle protector in the nose, a feature I like very much. Fit in Tuffpak fine.
kolpin case

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote