Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum legal caliber for DG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I have often heard it repeated that the .375 H&H is the minimum legal caliber for dangerous game in Africa. I was wondering how the .375 was selected. Is it based on bullet diameter, energy, both, or some other criteria? The reason I ask is because I was thinking about building a 9,3X64 Brenneke and was wondering if it would be legal for dangerous game.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you run a search on the topic, you will find a great deal of previous discussion ...

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It actually depends on the country and which animal you are referring to. For example, in Cameroon you have to have at least .354 for Group 1 game but that also includes animals like bongo, eland, roan, etc. not just lion, elephant, etc.

In several countries, the minimum for cats is .300 and most places the minimum for buffalo, elephant, etc. is .375 or 9.3 caliber. Each country has its own regulations and many of them are based upon a combination of muzzle energy and/or caliber. Namibia, for example, requires 5,400 joules or 3,983 ft. lbs. of energy for big game (which they define as buffalo, rhino, elephant, hippo and giraffe).

If you can be more specific as to which country and which game animal then you can get a precise answer...with the undestanding that the regs could change.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Yukon, I was thinking buffalo in either Tanzania, Zimbabwe, or South Africa.

Thank you for the information. It helps. I was thinking about building a new rifle and am just a bit bored with the .375 and wanted to try something else.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
posted Hide Post
This info is in regards to buffalo in the following countries...

Zim - at least 9.2mm and 5,300 joules (3,910 ft lbs) - this practically means .375 H&H or 9.3x64

Tanz - no minimum energy figure but caliber is .375

RSA - most provinces require .375 but some do not and rely on "common sense", no province requires energy minimums

Your PH may require something more but these are the govt. regs.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking about building a new rifle and am just a bit bored with the .375 and wanted to try something else.

.404, .416, .458... Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I've asked a number of PHs the question of where, ignoring legal requirements for the sake of conversation, they would draw the line.

They seem to draw it between the .300 magnums (won't penetrate both lungs on a buffalo) and the .338 magnum (will get double-lung penetration).

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any info on leopard, in Namibia in particular? I've been told by those that claim to know that .375 is the minimum. I have no problem using a .375, or my .416, which drives tacks, but that seems a bit overkill on a 180 lb. cat.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
They seem to draw it between the .300 magnums (won't penetrate both lungs on a buffalo) and the .338 magnum (will get double-lung penetration).

I know of one cape buff double lunged and killed with one shot from a .308 Winchester. It was shot on a professional hunt in Tanzania by a very petit lady friend of mine in the 1980's.

Not advocating it just mentioning it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Anyone have any info on leopard, in Namibia in particular? I've been told by those that claim to know that .375 is the minimum. I have no problem using a .375, or my .416, which drives tacks, but that seems a bit overkill on a 180 lb. cat.

Lavaca, I don't know what the exact law is in Namibia, but the plain old 30-06 with w 180 gr bullet is an excellent Leopard cartridge, and is legal for that purpose in Zimbabwe, with the 7mm(.284 cal) Rem Mag being the minimum for cats there. It would suprise me if the 270 Win up isn't legal for Leopard in Namibia, but you'd be better off getting in touch with your booking agent, or PH, if posible, to be sure! thumb

Dave Bush, the 9.3X64 is legal for dangerous game,including cape buffalo, and elephant in Zimbabwe,as is the 9.3X62, and 9.3X74R. The cats are legal with a 7mmRem Mag in Zim.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your PH could tell you about leopard in Namibia. I can look up the regs later today if you want them? You can also PM me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love how people tell you to search the topic, there alway a few that cant wait to tell you this and give you no info. NEWSFLASH there are about half the topics if not more that come up here evryday that have been discussed before, so if these peole want to ask again let them if they didnt there wouldn't be shit on here everyday.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

I believe that your source is misinformed. You can read the regulations on the Namibian Professional Hunter's Association website:

Hunting Laws

English Index Page

As suggested, this is a great topic to discuss with your PH, safari company, or booking agent in advance.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as overkill... It is dead or not... shot chui in Tanzania with my light rifle a 375H&H 300gr Hornady Round nose... DRT'd him at 40yds. with not a very big exit hole... Had another friend wound chui in Tanzania on a late season hunt was shooting a 30 cal. but for the life of him, he still can't figure how he wounded and did not kill it...
When I hunted ele for the first time I even wondered if the 458 Lott was to small when in tight of the bull eles!!!
I also look at it this way, do you want the minumum caliber in your hands when hunting DG!

Mike

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Charles, just as a point of order, I am fairly certain that the NAPHA website is wrong about the minimum caliber being 7mm. Lots of folks, including me, have used smaller bores than that on Namibian game. Hard to figure that NAPHA would get that wrong, but there you have it.

I also used a .338 Win. Mag. on lion, with full knowledge of and an official permit from the Namibian MET.

I had a better source on the Namibian hunting laws, but I can't remember what it was. If I do, I will post it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Charles, just as a point of order, I am fairly certain that the NAPHA website is wrong about the minimum caliber being 7mm. Lots of folks, including me, have used smaller bores than that on Namibian game. Hard to figure that NAPHA would get that wrong, but there you have it.

I also used a .338 Win. Mag. on lion, with full knowledge of and an official permit from the Namibian MET.

I had a better source on the Namibian hunting laws, but I can't remember what it was. If I do, I will post it.

I would love to see the better source when you find it. I agree that 7mm seems an odd requirement for plainsgame where you might be hunting Springbok or Damara Dik-Dik! It is weird that the professional hunter's association would have it wrong.

I do not think you need a .375 or a .416 for leopard. I think that they are in a different class for caliber selection than the other damgerous game, and a well-placed 30 caliber should be adequate. However, although I have hunted them I have not shot one so I will defer to those who have.

The question here was legal minimum not recommended caliber, and I think that someone was ill-informed about Namibia's restrictions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'd checked the NAPHA website, but what was confusing to me was the etc. after the list of various species since leopard wasn't listed specifically. I spoke with two Namibian PH's when I was there in June. One was quite comfortable with a .300 Win. Mag. The other said the minimum was .375. Given the AUSA's recent interest in the Lacey Act, I think I'd rather err on the safe side.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
The Namibian PH I hunted with thought the .30-06 was about perfect, so go figure!

If you shoot a .375 well I can't see how you could go wrong. Good luck!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Bored with the 375, eh?

I wonder what the guys that have been mauled are using. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a .375 on my one and so far only leopard. Killed him dead with one shot through the cat's meow.

Still, an '06 would have done as well.

Leopard aren't tough unless you make it that way by blowing the first shot. shame

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
As to leopard in Namibia, the regs state that the smallest minimum caliber for big game hunting (plains games is included in that category) is 7mm (.284) and the minimum energy level for leopard, lion and most plains game is 2,700 joules or 1,991 ft lbs. Larger game such as buff, ele, hippo, giraffe and rhino require 5,400 joules or 3,983 ft lbs.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I shot my first Leopard in Zimbabwe with a 375 with 260gr Nosler Partitions. Perfect heart/lung shot at PRECISELY 50 meters (from a blind and PH had actually MEASURED the distance from the bait to blind) through and through. Let out a terrible howl and whirled around and was gone. Enough RED blood to paint a house with. PH said it was perfect and he wouldn't go far. He sent me back to the truck and he and tracker went for Leopard. Found the cat backed up under a bush watching his backtrail about 50 Ft from the bait.
Second one was out of a tree with a 12ga Berreta with nickel plated OO. Dead when he hit the ground. So who knows. If I were to hunt another I would still probably use a 375. If a Leopard isn't tough I would be scared to hunt something that was. Any animal that can go 50ft and position himself to watch his back with literally no lungs and heart definately ain't no pussycat.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
The minimums required are one of the only flaws in the Namibian laws. There is no minimum for leopard specifically. I shot my firts leopard with a .243 Win and 100gr factory ammo (read cup & core bullets.) 7mm is a safe, selfimposed minimum, though 6.5 and even a .243 works well, but with stronger bullets. As on buffalo and the rest, only buffalo are mentioned as requiring 5400 J (about 3950 ft/ lbs) of muzzle energy, so legally you can hunt a elephant with a .22 LR.....

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hunting regs I quoted above are directly from the current Safari Guide regs for Namibia and that section was written by Dirk De Bod. 7mm is the minimum caliber for any big game and elephants are definitely not legal with a .22 but fall under the 5,400 joules as I stated. I don't live there but those are the stated regs plain and simple.

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Well, yukon, my info comes from MET's (Ministry of Environment & Tourism) reprint of the law that governs hunting and trophy hunting in particular. A lot of species are just not mentioned when minimums are discussed, elephant being one of them, which leaves it open to wheteher there is actually a law that governs which caliber/ energy has to be used on elephant. The 7mm is also only for eland, gemsbok, kudu and I think hartebeest. (Will try and find my copy and tell you on what page it is.) The same section also mentions that solid bullets may not be used on certain plainsgame, (mentioned by name), only used on thick skinned animals like elephant, buffalo. The mentioned animals exclude animals like klipspringer and dik dik, wheter intentional or by mistake I do not know, so contrary to popular belief, some PG may be shot with solids.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't surprise me to hear of conflicting info. It sounds like you are finding "loopholes" which may or may not exist. The regs from the current Safari Guide which has contributors like Don Heath, Craig Boddington, Peter Flack, Dirk De Bod, etc. is what I would trust...and they specifically mention elephant.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
It wouldn't surprise me to hear of conflicting info. It sounds like you are finding "loopholes" which may or may not exist. The regs from the current Safari Guide which has contributors like Don Heath, Craig Boddington, Peter Flack, Dirk De Bod, etc. is what I would trust...and they specifically mention elephant.

Karl is a PH and hunts there...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:

yukon delta, you are relying upon second hand sources, whereas Karl is consulting a digest/reprint of the law itself that the MET (the ministry with direct responsibility for hunting) has published.

The ministry's regulations are the last word. As characterized by Karl, they also jibe with my direct experience in Namibia.

Karl, I believe that I had an electronic copy of the digest/reprint that you mention at one time. But I can't find it. If you can post it, I would much appreciate it.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
So is Dirk De Bod and his info comes from the MWT (ministry of wildlife and tourism). Safari Press asked him and the others I mentioned to make a current resource.

The bottom line is that should trust what your PH tells you but it doesn't hurt to do some research. I know what my current research tells me and have quoted it directly. I just read it again and it clearly states what I said.

It's a bit silly to argue the fact that you might be able to shoot an elephant with a .22 anyway. Is Karl saying to come and try it with him? Of course not.

We all know of PH's and clients that have done this or that...doesn't mean it confirms to the regs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YKD, the laws not only of Namibia, but elsewhere, are frequently poorly written.

I believe that the key error in the information you cited, and on the NAPHA website (key because it might wrongly cause US hunters to leave their 6mm, .25 or 6.5mm rifles at home), is the statement that the 7mm is the minimum legal caliber for all plains game.

As I suggested earlier in this thread, and as Karl has confirmed, that is not so.

As for elephant and other DG, I agree that despite the apparent gaps in the law, common sense had better prevail.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to imply that the 7mm is for all plains game. The reg I quoted says the 7mm is the minimum for "big game". Now that seems to imply to many of us that it is large and even dangerous game but that doesn't seem to be their definition.

The regs I have do state the minimums for dik-dik, duiker, etc. to be an energy minimum of 1,350 joules or 996 ft. pounds.

The bottom line is I am just trying to help by posting from the source I have which has been trustworthy in my experience. I'm sure there are loopholes and conflicting info even among the various govt. agencies. That would just be normal.

I have never been to Namibia and don't have plans at this point so I defer to those who work there. I don't know it all but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once.

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a bit silly to argue the fact that you might be able to shoot an elephant with a .22 anyway. Is Karl saying to come and try it with him? Of course not.

Of course I am not advocating the use of small calibers on elephant, just trying to answer the question of what is LEGAL.

The following are from MET's reprint of the regulations, (Nature Conservation Ordinance 1975: No.4 of 1975.)

Restrictions in regard to firearms and capturing apparatus
42. (1) No person shall use a revolver, pistol or automatic fire-arm when hunting game or use a fire-arm of which the bullet has an energy at the muzzle of the barrel which is lower tahn the following when hunting the species of game indicated thereunder:
(a) 5400 joules: Buffalo
(b) 2700 joules: eland, kudu, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest, all species of exotic game.
(c) 1350 joules: springbok, duiker.
Provided that the Cabinet may for the purposes of this subsection by regulation diffrenciate between the caliber of different fire-arms in respect of different game.
(2) No person shall when hunting the species of game mentioned in subsection 1(b) or (c) use cartridges with bullets commonly known as solids.

In other words, elephant is never mentioned, neither are the other heavies like hippo and rhino. (Might be that when the law was drafted, trophy elephant hunting was not allowed in Namibia.)

A bit more confusion:
Definition of big game- in relation to huntable game, means the following species of game, namely buffalo, eland, oryx and kudu.
(Remember that there is a seperate catogory of PH in Namibia, called Big Game PH, that is the only ones allowed to hunt dangerous big game like elephant, hippo, buffalo, rhino, and also lion and croc., not to be confused with this term. See BGH prefix before name on NAPHA website, instead of usual HG (hunting guide), MHG (master hunting guide, PH (normal PH for plains game only.))

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karl. As I noted, the term "big game" is a little confusing as they use it. The data from Dirk from the MWT included elephant with buffalo, giraffe, etc. but I see your info does not.

By the way, is MWT and MET the same thing or completely different? I'm headed out the door for some halibut fishing so I'll check back in when I get back mid-week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting those excerpts, Karl. That is what I had seen before, but couldn't find or completely remember.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
quote:

Of course I am not advocating the use of small calibers on elephant, just trying to answer the question of what is LEGAL.

The following are from MET's reprint of the regulations, (Nature Conservation Ordinance 1975: No.4 of 1975.)

Restrictions in regard to firearms and capturing apparatus
42. (1) No person shall use a revolver, pistol or automatic fire-arm when hunting game or use a fire-arm of which the bullet has an energy at the muzzle of the barrel which is lower tahn the following when hunting the species of game indicated thereunder:
(a) 5400 joules: Buffalo
(b) 2700 joules: eland, kudu, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest, all species of exotic game.
(c) 1350 joules: springbok, duiker.
Provided that the Cabinet may for the purposes of this subsection by regulation diffrenciate between the caliber of different fire-arms in respect of different game.
(2) No person shall when hunting the species of game mentioned in subsection 1(b) or (c) use cartridges with bullets commonly known as solids.

In other words, elephant is never mentioned, neither are the other heavies like hippo and rhino. (Might be that when the law was drafted, trophy elephant hunting was not allowed in Namibia.)

A bit more confusion:
Definition of big game- in relation to huntable game, means the following species of game, namely buffalo, eland, oryx and kudu.
(Remember that there is a seperate catogory of PH in Namibia, called Big Game PH, that is the only ones allowed to hunt dangerous big game like elephant, hippo, buffalo, rhino, and also lion and croc., not to be confused with this term. See BGH prefix before name on NAPHA website, instead of usual HG (hunting guide), MHG (master hunting guide, PH (normal PH for plains game only.))

Karl, thanks for you help. Fifty-four hundred joules is about 4000 ft. lbs. My 9,3X62 Mauser with a 286 grain Wooleigh at about 2360 fps. would not make the cut for buffalo. However, a 286 grain Woodleigh at 2550 fps. from a 9,3X64 Brenneke would as long as there is not restriction as to bullet diameter.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will be OK in Tanzania, Zimbabwe and RSA with a 9.3x64, it is legal in all 3 countries except Tanzania and nobody cares in Tanzania, they use every imaginable caliber there, and now the local chiefs have all the say, meaning the game scouts have the say..In other words nothing has changed..In Zim a 9.3x62 is legal with a handload to bring it up to specs, the 9.3x64 is legal with factory stuff..In RSA some places a .375 is required, but again who's checking and almost all the Europeans use it as opposed to the .375.

I suppose one could make a case that why risk it and just use a .375 H&H and that may have some merit..Speaking only for myself and base on my experience in AFrica,I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Africans are a very practical lot and seem to place more emphisis on good shooting and the minimum caliber thing is much ignored so far.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote