THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cameroon shuts down rainforest flights

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cameroon shuts down rainforest flights
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
Cameroon has shut down the single charter aircraft flying into the rain forest - all four outfitters are affected. The only alternative is a 2 day, overnight drive in or out, and it is not a pleasant trip.

Apparently the air charter company is a CAR registered company and is not registered in Cameroon. The government has issued repeated warnings, which were ignored, resulting in the shut down on Thursday 15 June. This shutdown stranded existing hunters already in the rain forest camps, as well as those hunters arriving in Douala to begin their safari (me). There is no other air charter option.

I ended up spending 4 nights and 5 days at a hotel in Douala hoping that the air charter situation would be resolved - no luck. The only option was the drive in and out, costing 4 hunting days, on top of 2 days lost remaining in Douala.

I spoke with clients and PH forced to make the 2 day drive out. It was not enjoyable, nor was the overnight at the $9.00 hotel enroute.

After consulting repeatedly with our operator and PH in the rain forest, we decided to cancel our hunt and change our return flights to Paris and on to the U.S. We are now back home.

All the above is what information I was able to gain on the ground in Cameroon and I believe it to be reasonably accurate. This has effectively brought a halt to any further rain forest Bongo hunts this season.

Also, be advised that when you apply for your Cameroon firearms permit before your travel begins, insure that if you are taking a custom caliber rifle that you place the caliber as indicated on the rifle barrel on your permit request and that the headstamp on all your ammunition matches that caliber. I saw an incident of ammunition being confiscated due to the fact that the custom caliber ammunition headstamp was different than the rifle caliber engraving.

After hunting Africa annually for over 20 years, this is a first for me. Neither we nor our outfitter did anything wrong, it is simply OIA (Only In Africa).

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That is too damn bad. Our luggage had to be sent by vehicle from Douala to camp. The flight arrived in Douala on Sunday, the luggage arrived in camp on Thursday. We were told the drive from Douala to camp was horrendous. Apparently it is a tar road initially but quickly becomes a dirt road in a loose sense for the majority of the trip. In contrast the air charter was an hour and 45 minute flight on a Piper Cheyenne.

I can also appreciate the gun issues. Having taken rifles and ammo to Cameroon once, I would never do it again. It is expensive, time consuming and a bit nerve wracking. We left ammo for the outfitter and I was quizzed at length whether we in fact used all the ammo on the trip. The fact that the questioning took place in the bowels of the airport, in a hot room with several policemen was disconcerting to say the least. I was able to convince them that I could not remove the mercury recoil reducer from the stock since it showed up on the x-ray and concerned them too.

Really sorry to hear about the charter and canceled trip, I know you and your son were looking forward to it.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation in Cameroon with grounded charters and gun issues. It is easily the most difficult country I have hunted in when traveling with firearms. And one of the most expensive when you are talking charter flights! I wish you all the best in getting rebooked for next year...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Do I get the impression that they are trying their best to stop hunting there??

What a shame!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I never got that impression. My sense was more that it was the typical African bureaucracy and lack of organization, perhaps a bit on steroids compared to some other African countries.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You think you have seen greed, graft, and inefficiency in southern African countries. You ain't seen nothing unless you have tried Cameroon. When I did my hunt with Cam Craig in northern Cameroon, his forest self guided hunts depended on vehicle transfers fro Yaoundé to the jumping off point, IIRC. It was still quicker than the overnight Yaoundé stay, 16 hour train ride, and 3-4 hour truck ride to the jump off point beyond N'goundere for the mountain LDE hunts.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give each hunter a Suzuki Samarai and it's two days of offroading before and after the hunt. Adds the tales of travail just getting in and out to the story Wink

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10565 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
In Feb of this year I was stuck in N'goundare for an extra day because Camair wasn't flying.

The gun and ammo import/export process is like nothing I've seen in. Any other country. Rounds counted and headstamps checked, multiple times. I had a couple of different brands in the same box which confused at least one inspector.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also had issues with both charter and gun import.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seems old CAR officials are teaching well their neighbour ....

some may remember the race inside Mpoko airport in Bangui to catch the first charter flight of the way or wait the day ... not that much of lounge there ...i think at the end they had a Dornier that avoided the line up ...

Posts: 1877 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the plane they were using was based out of the CAR...

For all of my issues with what happened to me a few weeks ago, I suspect this has more to do with the charter company and its relationship with the government than with hunting or safety.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Mike Jines. I don't think they are trying to shut down hunting, just the typical western African country without a clue in promoting tourism and travel to their country. Instead, they just want to extract dollars from you at every opportunity... mostly for themselves. ADAT...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That really sucks. Things have really changed there. When we went to Cameroon in '07 we flew from Douala to camp in an 18 seat plane. On arrival in Douala we just gave our tickets and passports to the operator's meet/greet guy. In about 15 minute he returned with everything and we were on the way to the hotel. Going back home was a little more complicated but I didn't have to deal with any officials at all. I'm assuming Faro West had the right people greased to make it go smoothly. I certainly did't give money to anyone other than the meet/greet guy and it was well worth it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
I am (Lion Hunter) Mike's son in law and was with him on this trip. Thanks Mike Jines for the info provided prior - I hope to use this on our return trip. A couple add-on's to Mike's comments:

* I had my ammo taken upon arrival. My rifle was a .458 B&M, originally owned by Michael McCourry of B&M. My rifle was engraved .458 B&M / .300 RUM. My permit stated .458 B&M; the headstamps on my ammo were .300 RUM - the officer didn't like that, even after a heated 30 minute discussion with our Faro Lobeke handler. Ultimately, he took my ammo, a photo of my passport and securely locked up my ammo (put under his desk) and said I could get it back upon departure from Cameroon (which I did).
* The process to clear our firearms (and my ammo debacle) lasted 3 hours.
* The Ibis Hotel in Douala is actually nice. The rooms are very small, but the food is good and the bar is adequate with a large screen TV. Staff is very friendly. Security is present throughout the hotel.
* Leaving Douala, we had to clear our firearms in the same room, it sounds like, as Mike Jines, in the bowels of the airport. We had to leave our passport with an officer before proceeding to the "hot room." In the room, they checked our permit against something, I don't recall, but we never had to show our firearms. Luckily, when we got back to the original officer, he had our passports. He felt not losing them for 15 minutes deserved a tip. Nope.
* In speaking with two groups of clients (and one PH) heading out of the forest via the road (one group with Mayo, the other Faro), the road is really not an option if you can avoid. These groups had to take the road, as they were in camp when word came down of no more charter flights. 17 hours on the dirt road on day 1, overnight in Bertoua, then 10+ hours on a tar road back to Douala. More than 1 dozen "road blocks," all seeking money or beverage etc...

Ultimately, we chose to cancel and come back another day. I don't blame Faro for this.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very sorry the trip did not pan out. Two last thoughts. One, we stayed at the Star Land Hotel. It was very nice. Had a great Italian food restaurant next door. Two, I would never take rifles to Cameroon again. Period.

[On the issue of having to give up your Passport, as I mentioned when we arrived my luggage including the rifles did not arrive. I had to leave my Passport with the local agent in Douala for him to clear the rifles when they arrived after we left for the jungle. Then my Passport was sent to me with the rifles by the courier that drove four days later. A bit unnerving but I put it in the category of, if you got no choice, you got no problem. All worked out.]

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I take it there are no aircraft available for private charters?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why they didn't try to fly the clients commercial to Yaoundé and then drive. That would save a third of the trip which isn't nothing.
In my trips to Cameroon I never had the troubles others indicate here. I must be lucky or they are very unlucky.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Jorge-
No, there are no other private aircraft available for hire.

bwanamrm-
Yes, charging $5,000 per passenger RT for the 1.5-2 hour charter is ridiculous but that is the reality. Most expensive air charter I've ever flown in Africa, by far.

I appreciate all the comments. We are about to start negotiating our re-booking for 2018. Time frame available is May 1-15. Anyone have rain forest experience at that time?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with a May hunting date is the chance of a lack of rain. The hunting in the rain forest is good year round if you have rain.

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
The problem with a May hunting date is the chance of a lack of rain. The hunting in the rain forest is good year round if you have rain.

+1, I would think later is better. That said, bongo is pretty much a snap even with marginal amounts of rain. Buffalo and elephant, much different story without rain.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks, you guys confirmed my concern - a lack of rain in early May, which is why we had the end of June this year. That is the only opening in 2018, otherwise we'll have to wait until 2019. At my age I don't like waiting - Heh-Heh! Eeker

Beau and I will talk it over and see what Pierre has to say.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but late May wasn't good for rain this year either.

I got out on June 1. We had only one real rain storm in two weeks, and maybe 2-3 days of sprinkles in that time.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I started on May 20, 2016 and had several big storms over two weeks' time.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 years of experience in CAR has given me something never before June ...

in Bangui we had rain every day at 6pm but in May not that much ...

unless there is the salines already for Bongo if it is a littly dry wont be that easy ...

Posts: 1877 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=821

No Air Charters Available for Cameroon Forest Hunters

(posted June 26, 2017)

If you are getting ready to board a plane to Cameroon for a southern forest hunt, be aware that the only charter company in the country has been shut down. Hunters will have to make a two-day drive between Douala and their hunting camps on both ends of their hunt.

Two Hunting Report subscribers just returning from Cameroon have contacted us about this situation. One spent several days in Douala waiting for the problem to be settled and spoke with hunters who arrived after taking the long drive from camp. He decided to return to the United States rather than attempt the arduous drive. The second subscriber actually experienced the drive first-hand. He says conditions vary from "OK" to "absolutely horrible." His PH, who has traveled through numerous African countries, told him it is the worst driving experience he has had. Obstacles include large rocks, holes, mud and even ditches in which vehicles get stuck. The hunter reported seeing six wrecked vehicles, several in serious incidents with logging trucks. He also reports having to go through six road blocks or check points where they were asked to "share" any alcoholic beverages in their possession. Safari operators admit that the drive is not pleasant, but it is a drive most of them make themselves when opening and closing camps for the season and they all know the route and challenges well.

The reason for the lack of charter services in Cameroon is that the only charter company in the country has been unable to fly its one and only plane since last Christmas, supposedly for lack of a pilot. At the urging of operators to resolve the issue, they have been leasing the services of a charter company from Central African Republic. The Cameroonian company has blamed the one from CAR for recent delays and sudden cancellations, but has not refunded operators for flights clients did not take. Now it has been shut down by the Cameroonian government because the company from CAR is not registered in Cameroon and does not have permits to operate there.

According to one safari operator we corresponded with, the Cameroon charter company plans to purchase a new and larger plane for the 2018 season. But the continuing problem here is the monopoly this company holds. An entire industry is held hostage by a company that cannot even operate its own plane for lack of a pilot. How is buying a larger plane going to solve that problem?

This charter is already exceedingly expensive, adding significant costs to a hunt. The best solution would be for the Cameroon government to allow companies from outside Cameroon to operate there in some fashion. That competition would give the safari industry options for their clients and encourage more efficiency and better service by all those offering charter services.

For now, only hunters arriving for the tail end of the forest hunting season are affected. If you are one of them, you will have to choose whether to brave the long drive or postpone your hunt. Hopefully the situation will be resolved by the time the hunting conventions begin in early 2018. This situation is a perfect example of why all hunters should consider buying travel insurance covering trip interruption and cancellation.

Hunts in the northern part of Cameroon are not affected, as commercial flights operate in that region and the drives to camp are not long. But the forest hunting could see many hunters refuse to travel there without a charter service available. The solution is within the Cameroonian government's grasp, but they may not have the determination to fix the problem. We will continue to follow this issue in The Hunting Report. - Barbara Crown, Editor-in-Chief

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just landed a few hours ago in NY, flew in and out of Yaounde. Our camp is a 9hr drive (it was dry) from Yaounde - about 3.5 hours on tar road then a dirt road for the rest, so we drove in and out as planned. It is a long drive but not unbearable. No problem with clearing my rifle in and out of Yaounde. The Cops and Customs are FAR BETTER AND FAR LESS CORRUPT than the folks in Douala. But yes all your ducks have to be in a row, taking funny head stamped ammo and more or even less ammo as stamped on your gun permit is asking for it. I shot 4 animals including two of the prize species. Overall there doesn't seem to be too much rain this year which is making the hunting challenging. Report to follow when i get over my jet lag.

I did get pissed off that on my way back, they confiscated all my rechargeable batteries out of my hand luggage! Said it wasn't allowed on the plane. Going was no issue with the batteries!!!

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
DSC booth # 236
SCI booth # 1148

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to figure from the get go of this mess why these companies base their hunts out of Douala instead of Yaoundé. Common sense ( and a quick look at a Cameroon map)would seem to make a closer base to the hunt area a no- brainer. For sure the already outrageous charter fee should be lower from Yaoundé.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drove out with Geoffroy to Yaoundé years ago, and it was not a terrible drive. I have had much worse drives in other parts of Africa

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
We came and went on a Citation II, biz jet. Pretty slick (pun intended) landing that dude in the red forest mud. French pilot and co-pilot.

There was also a Chinese "Donyere", like a Cessna Caravan and an unmaintained Cessna 206 with Mayo Oldiri on the door.

It would be a perfect location for a major operator or two to acquire a charter aircraft and include that service for their clients, at cost plus. I hear that was Mayo's plan with the 206, but running costs, maintenance, etc were eating them alive and they gave it up.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=841

Cameroon Charter Flights to be Available for 2018

(posted December 15, 2017)

Hunters headed to the Cameroon forest this coming season will be happy to hear that charter flights should be available there again. You will remember our report that the charter airline used by hunting clients to access remote forest areas in Cameroon had cancelled flights unexpectedly near the end of the 2017 season. (See Article 4097). That left a number of hunters to choose between rescheduling or making an arduous two-day drive on either end of their hunt. Now, according to Pierre Guerrini of Faro Lobeke, forest operators are making plans with another charter company to service flights from Douala.

Guerrini says the agreement has not been finalized, but that the charter company, Air Service Cameroon, will bring a Dornier 228 to Douala if operators can commit to 21 flights, a requirement that will be easily met. Operators are negotiating the final arrangements over the coming weeks in order to have charter flight service agreements in place before the hunting conventions. Apparently, the company has permission to operate from the government, although it is not clear if the arrangement will be a monopoly, as in the past.

Guerrini says there is a possibility of arranging flights from Central African Republic, but that a route through Douala would be much better. "We will not be operating forest hunts unless we can fly clients in. I will be in Cameroon in coming weeks to work with the other operators to confirm details. Our arrangements will be 100% clear in time for the show season."

Hunters with forest safaris scheduled for this season should check in with their operators to confirm charter flight availability. They should also consider travel insurance to cover any flight cancellations or other mishaps that can lead to missed hunting days. - Justin Jones, Assistant Editor

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We drive all our clients to camp - 10 hr drive from Yaounde not too bad really and you get to see the countryside. Way cheaper too!

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
DSC booth # 1222 (January 4th to 7th)
SCI booth # 5297 (January 31st to February 3rd)

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be honest, to me the biggest issue was the lack of information regarding this.

Last year the first inclination that there might be an issue was being told that the charter “will” be there. Of course, it wasn’t.

I don’t have an issue with a long drive. I do have an issue with along drive that one pays for a transfer and then it gets included as hunting days.

I enjoyed hunting the rain forest. It is a unique experience. The getting there was a little less enjoyable though.