New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fairgame is the devil
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful tusks!!! I would love see a photo of the entire elephant, and read about the details of your hunt. Congratulation's!!!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The staining on those tusks is fabulous. Lot's of character. Congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Has no one found a scale yet? bewildered Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, now that you are back in "civilization", did you ever put those tusks on a scale??

I can't see them weighing less than 80-85 lbs, very possibly more. But then again, I'm not exactly the world's foremost expert on judging ivory... hilbily

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Confused Something is not right here ...

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I left the tusks in Munyamadzis camp, there is no scale in the camp. I am sure Andrew will chime in when he knows what they weigh.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
So 505, what's the story? Those tusks are fantastic. But, to take a bull like that on a lechwe hunt, leaves a lot to be told.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
The elephant was found dead in a pan on Andrews place in the Luangwa while we were there. They are unbelievable when you put your hands on them. And to think, Andrew told ZAWA "no thanks" when they offered him a handfull of Ele permits this year. He said he just didn't see the point because he wasn't confident he could take a 100 pounder. cuckoo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification, Brad. Lovely ivory, regardless of how it came about.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad, so sad. I would bet they are about 70 and 74 with the measurements given. It will all come down to the size of the nerve cavity. I think they could range anywhere from 55 to 75 each with those measurements. I sure wouldnt want to try and guess the weight on the hoof. How do you ph's judge the weight on a live animal? If my assumption is right and the range is at least as wide as my estimate, it could mean the difference between a very happy and a pissed off client. In my mind any ele over 50 lbs is nothing to be disgruntled about. There are those who dont think the same, have spent a bostload of money, and have done it several times. I dont envy you guys at times like that. So again, how do you do it?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I hear what you are saying, and have no doubt there are "hunters" out there that would shoot that ele, be speechless when they laid their hands on those massive tusks, then turn their noses up when they were weighed and didn't meet their expectation. However, that would be a shame and would put a name to much of what is wrong with those who take part in this sport. I went by my brothers on Saturday and held the big tusks that came from the Save last year (60lbs), and although they are great tusks, they don't look or feel like they even came from the same species.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, hunting has become very much a "numbers" game, hasn't it? I'm as guilty as the next person, but I think a lot of it comes from safari literature. I can think of at least one prominent writer, who never seems to omit the measurements on trophies taken. Sets expectations for (less experienced?) hunters. In the end, it is such a question of luck, being at the right place at the right time. But I guess I also have to plead guilty to a feeling of awe and desire faced with a really good trophy.

- mike

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
I stand by my original statement that they are beautiful, Brad, weight-be-damned.

Now the question for me becomes: What happens to the ivory? Do they go to the gov't or what? I have no idea the policy on "pick-ups" in any African countries.

And are we ever going to get the story on the new double?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
THAT IS ONE MOTHER OF A WARTHOG WELL DONE jumping

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
How do you ph's judge the weight on a live animal?

It differs from area to area, but is Zimbabwe one of the formulas is:

LxC-5=W

Where L represents length(in feet) of tusk protruding from the lip, C represents circumference of tusk(in inches) at the lip, the output "W" is the weight in pounds.

The "-5" that is subtracted from the total when the ivory has a normal taper and is not too broomed off.

Obviously adjustments are made for tusks that are very broomed, or tusks that don't carry their weight out to the tips.

Then their other considerations such as shop of tusk's cross section(round or oval) and size of nerve(usually larger in young animals.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Looking at the picture (and note the longest measure 2m) I would say that there is probably 1.2m coming out from the lip and the circumference here was 48cm. Inside the lip was 50cm.

So what is that in inches and pounds?

Note the nerve cavity was fairly shallow.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
And are we ever going to get the story on the new double?

You mean this one?

Andrews Krieghoff 470NE, it is rare I find a gun that fits me and this one it like my broken in hat (only prettier). I am working this next week to figure out how to get it back to the states, hopefully when I get through that Andrew will not have realized what a fool he is for letting this rifle go.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Looking at the picture (and note the longest measure 2m) I would say that there is probably 1.2m coming out from the lip and the circumference here was 48cm. Inside the lip was 50cm.

Note the nerve cavity was fairly shallow.

4 feet and 19 inches. Using the Zim formula that works out to 71 pounds(4x19-5).

But this formula is for Zim and is just a guideline. The formula may be way off for Zambia.

BTW, IIIRC, PHC said that the Luangwa's elephants had long thin East Africa type ivory. I guess this elephant didn't get the memo.
Big Grin

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

120cm = 3.94 feet x 18.9" (48cm) = 74.47 lbs
74.47 - 10% = 67,02 Lb

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Only issue I see with your math is that you are using circumference where the original formula called for diameter.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Big Grin wicked EU way - that is for a pair Wink

***my bad - therefore 3.94 x 6.01 = 23.68 lb naah bewildered

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Only issue I see with your math is that you are using circumference where the original formula called for diameter.

It was supposed to be circumference, not diameter, I went back and fixed it.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have carried a 50lb pack in my early days but I could not of carried one of those tusks for very long.

Brad and I (in the building industry) sort of agreed around mid 70's to 80 pounds. I am not an elephant hunter so your guess is as good as mine.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand by my estimate of 70 and 74. I am basing this mostly on the circumference. I am certainly no expert and not even journeyman as you would say in the trades. I have seen many ele but only shot one myself. I find the price a bit steep for us working stiffs so it might be the only one I shoot as well. That dosnt mean I cant tag along for backup and I think I am a fair estimate when it comes to this. Of course having the circumference and length given really makes it fairly simple. Even then there is a large margin for error and that is where experience comes in. Maybe Will, one of the phs like Buzz, or one of you guys who have shot multiple elephant can chime in here and add some of that.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, As far as bringing the double home, why sweat it until next year? You know you want to go back so just plan the trip end and rifle import to come together at the same time. Or are you afraid Andrew really will change his mind? Big Grin

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the PH knows what each of his trackers weigh, then compare the tusks w/ the smallest guy and then the biggest.
That'll tell you if it's closer to 70lbs or 90lbs.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
A simple "exploratory" hunt to the Kafue and a quick trip to "see" the Luangwa turns into a new double and more than I can afford. Please post current mortgage rates and referral on good Family Law attorney. No scale in camp, please post best estimate.

since your wife is an lawyer, good luck on finding someone to represent you! and if you keep this hot streak up, you are going to need a good lawyer. however having spent time in hunting camp with the 2 of you, i think you are safe. if there was ever a wife more supportive of a husband's hunting passion than your wife, i surely haven't met her.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote