THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Delta Beats Challenge To Ban On Safari Hunting Trophies

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delta Beats Challenge To Ban On Safari Hunting Trophies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sad day. Came across this article and wanted to share with everyone - http://www.law360.com/articles/804414.

"A Texas federal judge on Monday tossed a suit by a group of hunting, tourism and conservation organizations over Delta Air Lines Inc.'s decision to stop transporting big game trophies, rejecting claims that the airline’s updated policy flouts federal law prohibiting discrimination."

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sad day indeed. My latest shipment of trophies came last month from Life Form through Jo'burg to Istanbul and then on to LA on Turkish Airlines. Used Gideon Visser at Safari Cargo Systems. Everything arrived safe and sound. tu2 Screw Delta Airlines. thumbdown

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The past two shipments we had came b y ship.

Much cheaper too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.courthousenews.com/...ort-rhino-trophy.htm

Wednesday, June 08, 2016Last Update: 7:23 AM PT

Delta Airlines Need Not Transport Rhino Trophy
By DAVID LEE

DALLAS (CN) - A Texan who paid $350,000 to kill an endangered black rhino in Africa cannot sue Delta Airlines for refusing to ship his trophy home because it can ship whatever it chooses, so long as it applies to all passengers equally, a federal judge ruled.
U.S. District Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn said plaintiffs Corey Knowlton, Dallas Safari Club, et al. "misappl[y] the equal protection" common law principle that allows common carriers to refuse to ship items.
"Delta's policy bans its shipment of Big Five trophies. Obviously, it does not ban the hunting of Big Five game," the 20-page opinion states. "Such hunters are free to ship allowed cargo with Delta, including trophies of other game. Although, because Plaintiffs are hunters or other parties who benefit from the hunting of the Big Five, Delta's ban negatively affects them, that impact does not mean Delta's decision is unlawful or actionable."
Big Five trophies are the African lion, African elephant, African leopard, Cape buffalo and the white or black rhinoceros.
Knowlton made headlines in January 2014 when the Dallas Safari Club accepted his bid for a hunt and Namibia's Ministry of Environment and Tourism issued him a permit to kill the rhino. Despite criticism from animal rights groups and several death threats, Knowlton killed the rhino four months later.
Knowlton sued Delta in October 2015, a year after Delta enacted the Big Five ban in response to public outcry over Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer's killing a beloved lion named Cecil in Zimbabwe.
Knowlton accused Delta of robbing "wildlife habitat of its economic value, encouraging habitat conversion to agriculture, grazing, and industry, and undercutting range states' tried-and-true conservation strategy."
He claimed the ban "jeopardizes the benefits of tourist hunting and its centrality to conservation" in Africa.
Delta sought dismissal in January, calling it an "absurdity" for the plaintiffs to claim it must carry Big Five trophies if it carries other trophies.
"If it were true, an airline that accepted hunting shotguns as checked baggage would also have to accept AK-47s and grenade launchers," Delta's dismissal motion stated. "Not surprisingly, the case law rejects this position."
Lynn dismissed the claim of tortious interference Monday.
"Although plaintiffs correctly conclude that claims arising out of defamatory conduct would not usually relate to an airline's service, plaintiffs' tortious interference claim in this case does relate to Delta's services," the opinion states. "There is, in fact, no defamatory statement alleged. Delta merely altered the scope of its services by refusing to transport a designated kind of commodity - Big Five trophies. It never said the hunting or transport of such species was unlawful."
Lynn dismissed the case in its entirety.
Attorneys for the plaintiffs and Delta did not immediately respond to email messages requesting comment after hours Tuesday.
The other plaintiffs were the Houston Safari Club, Conservation Force, the Campfire Association and the Tanzania Hunting Operators Association.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
The past two shipments we had came b y ship.

Trophies from both my safaris came to Texas by ship with no problems.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The outcome was predictable.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
so someone explain to me, again, why hunters are still flying Delta to Africa??????

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because it beats walking...

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope Cory doesn't look for an alternative soon. This needs to go to the Fifth Circuit and once he has his trophy, it's moot.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I will henceforth avoid flying Delta, to the fullest extent possible.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Because it beats walking...

Last time I checked there were at least a dozen ways to get to Joburg, including direct flights on SAA. I haven't flown Delta for the last dozen safaris-and hope I never do again.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't flown Delta for the last dozen safaris-and hope I never do again.....

Same thing with me. You can fly SAA out of either New York or Dulles airport in VA (Washington DC suburb). I've flown out of JFK several times and never had a problem in NY with guns. It's my preferred route for flying to Africa.

The best thing about the NY flight is it's non stop and gets into Joberg early in the AM so you can make connections to countries other than RSA without going through the SAPS hassle.

Why hunters continue to support Delta when they have sided with the anti-hunters is beyond me.

With loyalty like this it's not hard to see why the antis are winning.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really stopped and considered everything you purchase and many of the items you have in your home, many of them come from a corporation that has either an anti-hunting and/or anti-gun agenda.

So just how far are you willing to go to stop supporting these organizations and individuals?

http://www.gunowners.org/fs0302.htm

coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always thought the delta hunting airline lawsuit was frivolous stupid litigation. Wasted membership dues and when I said that on AR I got criticized including being asked if I was an expert of common carrier law and where I went to law school.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...561036712#2561036712

Here is the list of airlines that boycott hunting trophies

No hunting trophies: Etihad Airways, KLM, Air Europa, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, Virgin America, Brussels Airlines, Qatar Airways, Air France, British Airways, IAG Cargo, Qantas, Singapore Airways, Austrian Airlines, Binter Canarias, JetBlue (no trophies nor CITES protected species), Comair, Hawaiian Airlines, CityJet, LOT Polish Airlines, Aer Lingus, Ethiopian Airlines, Iberia Airlines, Finnair (including no skins/hides), Vueling Airlines, Aeroméxico, FastJet, The Mediterrenean Shipping Company, ParcelForce, airberlin, Air Tahiti Nui, Royal Jordanian Air ("no hunting trophies of any kind").

No transport of the "Big Five": Air Canada, WestJet, CargoJet, American Airlines, United, Delta, Air New Zealand, Condor

Also:

Emirates (embargo on CITES Appendix I listed animals and plants; hunting trophies of elephant, rhino, tiger and lion)
Lufthansa Cargo (no trophies of the African fauna for carriage from Africa)
Swiss International Air Lines (no transport of CITES App I species; no lion parts of any kind)
SriLankan Airlines (no game/hunter trophies or any part of an animal killed in the wild or listed as endangered or protected)
Turkish Airlines (no hunting trophies, no shark fins, no raw/processed remains of live animals, no animals for research purposes, no dead animals, no infected live animals, no pregnant mammals, no rodents, no poisonous animals)

Like to see how many options this cuts down getting to Africa.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Perhaps bringing a trophy with you in the main cabin and declaring it your emotional support animal would work.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really stopped and considered everything you purchase and many of the items you have in your home, many of them come from a corporation that has either an anti-hunting and/or anti-gun agenda.

So just how far are you willing to go to stop supporting these organizations and individuals?

coffee

If I know the facts about a company I'm dealing with to be anti-hunting, pro gay/lesbian, etc I will find somewhere else to buy, or do without. Same goes for any Muslim entity....they aren't getting any of my money, period. I'll do without before stooping that low.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one more nail in the coffin of sports hunting, if you want my opinion.

Conservative values to include hunting, Christianity, (and most anything else that is traditional and decent) are being suppressed on multiple fronts by the so-called "progressives".

Witness the demise of the traditional/historical respect for many people who supported and died during the Civil War (i.e. the Confederate Flag). Now flying the Confederate Flag is considered one step below a hate crime. To hell with the southern heritage behind the symbol.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike: I'm not sure that your list is correct. My latest hunting trophies (including a shoulder mounted cape buffalo) came last month on Turkish Airlines via Jo-burg, to Istanbul and then on to LA. As stated above, I used Safari Cargo Systems, Gideon Visser, as my shipping agent. Big Grin In any event, I have had a number of my trophy shipments delivered via sea shipment, (again using Safari Cargo Systems), and if it comes to that then by sea it shall be. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:

coffee

If I know the facts about a company I'm dealing with to be anti-hunting, pro gay/lesbian, etc I will find somewhere else to buy, or do without. Same goes for any Muslim entity....they aren't getting any of my money, period. I'll do without before stooping that low.

Wow, what do you do for fuel then?

Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of our fuel locally comes from Alon Big Spring, TX, piped into the refinery via W TX oilfields. 100% WTI.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Mike: I'm not sure that your list is correct. My latest hunting trophies (including a shoulder mounted cape buffalo) came last month on Turkish Airlines via Jo-burg, to Istanbul and then on to LA. As stated above, I used Safari Cargo Systems, Gideon Visser, as my shipping agent. Big Grin In any event, I have had a number of my trophy shipments delivered via sea shipment, (again using Safari Cargo Systems), and if it comes to that then by sea it shall be. Big Grin

http://www.cargoforwarder.eu/2...ip-hunting-trophies/

http://aircargoworld.com/carri...ng-hunting-trophies/

But then I see this

https://www.change.org/p/turki...mal-hunting-trophies

http://www.jagdreisen-schrum.d...ine_embargo_list.pdf

Interesting to see the impact of beloved Cecil on the list - delta was all for transporting till big five trophies became akin to shark fin products.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=786

Conservation Force and Partners Appeal Dismissal of Suit Against Delta Air Lines

(posted July 13, 2016)

On Friday, Conservation Force, Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, CAMPFIRE Association (Zimbabwe), and the Tanzania Hunting Operators Association (TAHOA) filed a notice to appeal the dismissal of their suit against Delta Air Lines, Inc.

In December 2015, these plaintiffs sued Delta to compel an end to Delta’s illegal embargo on the transport of “Big Five” hunting trophies (African elephant, leopard, lion, rhino, and Cape buffalo). Delta imposed that embargo on August 3, 2015, following the media uproar over the hunt of “Cecil the lion.” The plaintiffs alleged that Delta’s embargo violates Delta’s duty of non-discrimination as a common carrier under federal common law and aviation law. They argued Delta is a common carrier which “holds itself out” to carry cargo including other hunting trophies. Because it holds itself out to carry a wide range of cargo, Delta cannot discriminate against Big Five hunters and their trophies.

In June, the court found for Delta and dismissed the plaintiffs’ complaint. The court held that a common carrier may limit its cargo to “items of its choosing,” including distinguishing between Big Five trophies and other hunting trophies. The plaintiffs are appealing the district court’s ruling because it takes too narrow a view of the common-law obligations of a common carrier.

“A public carrier cannot ‘cherrypick’ like Delta is doing,” said John J. Jackson, III, President of Conservation Force. “The legal duty exists to protect shippers and their cargo from discrimination. Otherwise, you have a situation like this, where Delta is carrying some hunting trophies but refusing the ones that are unpopular among Facebook activists. But a public carrier is not allowed to base its decisions on a popularity contest. Its job is to provide unbiased transport.” Plaintiffs will also appeal the dismissal of their tortious interference claim.

The plaintiffs brought this suit because Delta’s embargo damages the conservation incentives of safari hunting. According to Jackson, “Big Five hunting justifies the preservation of most Big Five habitat. It generates most funding for wildlife authorities. It underwrites most anti-poaching. And it contributes revenues and direct benefits, like meat, to rural communities most affected by the Big Five and other dangerous game. Delta’s embargo discourages Big Five hunting, and it reduces hunting revenues. The Big Five are the most at-risk from the loss of habitat, anti-poaching, and local tolerance that will result from reduced hunting revenues.”

The plaintiffs are appealing to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in New Orleans. For more information, contact Jackson at: (504) 837-1233 or cf@conservationforce.org.

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tenacity is always good! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
no pregnant mammals on Turkish???

Lots of women going to be pissed!

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing like losing twice in order to drive the point home.

Sorry guys, but Delta is hardly the problem in protecting our hunting rights.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Always thought the delta hunting airline lawsuit was frivolous stupid litigation. Wasted membership dues and when I said that on AR I got criticized including being asked if I was an expert of common carrier law and where I went to law school.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...561036712#2561036712

Here is the list of airlines that boycott hunting trophies

No hunting trophies: Etihad Airways, KLM, Air Europa, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, Virgin America, Brussels Airlines, Qatar Airways, Air France, British Airways, IAG Cargo, Qantas, Singapore Airways, Austrian Airlines, Binter Canarias, JetBlue (no trophies nor CITES protected species), Comair, Hawaiian Airlines, CityJet, LOT Polish Airlines, Aer Lingus, Ethiopian Airlines, Iberia Airlines, Finnair (including no skins/hides), Vueling Airlines, Aeroméxico, FastJet, The Mediterrenean Shipping Company, ParcelForce, airberlin, Air Tahiti Nui, Royal Jordanian Air ("no hunting trophies of any kind").

No transport of the "Big Five": Air Canada, WestJet, CargoJet, American Airlines, United, Delta, Air New Zealand, Condor

Also:

Emirates (embargo on CITES Appendix I listed animals and plants; hunting trophies of elephant, rhino, tiger and lion)
Lufthansa Cargo (no trophies of the African fauna for carriage from Africa)
Swiss International Air Lines (no transport of CITES App I species; no lion parts of any kind)
SriLankan Airlines (no game/hunter trophies or any part of an animal killed in the wild or listed as endangered or protected)
Turkish Airlines (no hunting trophies, no shark fins, no raw/processed remains of live animals, no animals for research purposes, no dead animals, no infected live animals, no pregnant mammals, no rodents, no poisonous animals)

Like to see how many options this cuts down getting to Africa.

Mike

LATAM (fka LAN and TAM)

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I was just rereading the spring 2016 edition of GameTrails. Karl Evans wrote "the black rhino hunt was accomplished, and trophy imported successfully." Therefore, I wonder where Knowlton suffered harm. Granted, Delta refused to transport the trophy, but alternatives remained.

Of course, I disagree with the ruling on its face, but legally, it seems appropriate. Granted, I have not read the filings. Knowlton may have had to pay more to receive the rhino, thus harm to him.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote