Notify
Tools

Re: Handgun Hunting-No More in SA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
Quote:

So much for someday using my .500 Linebaugh. Well, like you said, there are other countries.

Russ

Yea, I was planning on taking my 500 Linebaugh with me next year. Does anybody have a site where we can read the regs on bringing a hunting handgun to SA?

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anybody wants to handgun hunt Africa after July 1st, I suggest that you pick a different country other than South Africa. The regs are changing. No more Thompson Contenders or Encores, unless you have the serial # on both the frame and the barrel. I just got an email from Anne at Air 2000 and she told me that my Taurus Raging Bull was turned down due to it not being a "custom made hunting handgun" whatever that means. Also, if you are thinking about bringing a Remington XP 100 or savage Striker, forget it. They are considered to be "hand carbines". Thank you South Africa!! My trip planned for August just died.

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
So much for someday using my .500 Linebaugh. Well, like you said, there are other countries.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know , does the barrel and frame have to have the same serial number? I just paid a hefty deposit for a handgun hunt for RSA in May, am I screwed or what?

Posts: 273 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel and the frame must have the same serial #

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just have the ser# stamped or etched into the barrel thats all.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAC, Look at the posts on the Handgun Hunting forum. Apparently it is a 45 caliber max. Is that not the stupidest regulation you ever heard of???

one of us
posted Hide Post
ya exp since the best hanguns start at 45 and go up from there

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My comment will likely provoke an outpouring of conflicting opinions like the discussion of using a 45-70 for Cape buffalo, but I have to admit that this new regulation does not bother me -- in fact, I tend to welcome it -- because I've always considered handgun hunting to be unsporting for large game anyway, say anything larger than a deer-sized (maybe 300 pounds live body weight) animal.

I admit that my opinion may be colored by the fact that I've never been much interested in owning or shooting handguns -- I did own a Ruger .22 autoloader once, but traded it on a Remington 700 in .270 Winchester.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lloyd, How do you feel about archery hunting large game?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Lloyd, How do you feel about archery hunting large game?

The same way as I feel about handgun hunting -- I think it is unsporting because it is unfair to the animals. They deserve to be killed as quickly and with as few shots as possible with high-intensity rifle bullets.

Again, I admit that my view is no doubt colored by the fact that I have been uninterested in archery since I was about 14 years old.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've just spoken to Insp Conroy who is the top cop in charge of forearm import/export at JIA. He tells me that they have decided that from July 1st ALL firearms bought into the country have to have the serial number stamped on the barrel, the frame and the action. As "most" rifles don't have a frame as such they expect to see the serial number stamped on BOTH the action and the barrel on ALL firearms.

He also tells me that overseas hunters are no longer allowed to bring in a handgun for reasons of self defence and that (as other posters have said) the only handguns allowed for hunting are less than .45 calibre and revolvers.

He tells me that the up to date info is now on their website (just do a search)

I'll talk to PHASA today and see what they say. This act still seems to be changing from day to day, but I would expect the serial number thing to remain unchanged however I'm not so sure about the handgun thing. I'll see if I can discover anything else today and will post the news asap.

But if anyone is coming over soon with rifles, I'd at least suggest that they get their rifles re-stamped to show serial numbers on both barrel and action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got an email from my PH and was told an import permit may be obtained and bringing more than one hanggun will be OK.

Posts: 273 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I have not picked up on any of this. Given what you are saying, every firearm in SA will need re-stamping......that ain't gonna happen.

I did read in the act or regs that numbers will be written on something (tape, tag) and affixed to the firearm while it is still in the country. I will try and forage thru the hundreds of pages of claptrap.
Also, the cops cannot make up their own rules. They have to operate within the act and it's regs and what we need to do is get the clowns to commit to a policy in writing.
I will start working on this with SAGA, SAACA and Martin Hood.

Sorry I did not get to meet you last week with Jason. I was going to be there but had to rush away to Barcelona.

Cheers,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
TJC, please get me Anne @ air 2000 contact details.
Send me a PM. If we have specifics we can follow up and try and stop this crap.
As a matter of interest, the firearms registry is at a standstill in this country. Half of them have been arrested/suspended for corruption, the rest should be hung for arrogance and incompetence.
Welcome to the government the USA helped put into power

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I just went to the website and the FAQ re: visiting hunters haven't been updated since 5/11/00. Just what would you recommend searching for?

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldsarge, I tried the website approach and found the same as you-NOTHING. serial #'s on rifle barrels, too??? this is getting better by the minute.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I understanding this correctly - all long guns must have the serial number on two or more locations. If so what kind of stamping or marking will surfice for these people. Also if transit thru JBerg will the guns be checked?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be goddamned if I'm going to have my Browning Safari rifles stamped on the barrel to satisfy some stuffed shirt!!!

Plenty of other places to hunt other than SA!!!

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'll be goddamned if I'm going to have my Browning Safari rifles stamped on the barrel to satisfy some stuffed shirt!!!

Plenty of other places to hunt other than SA!!!

AMEN to that!!!

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I spoke to insp Conroy this morning, and he told me that ALL rifles fron 1/7/04 will need to have the serial number stamped on the bolt, barrel and receiver.....no exceptions.

I then spoke to PHASA who told me that they have a meeting within the next 48 hours to try to sort it out. But at the moment the comments of Insp Conroy stand. That's the facts right now.

The problem is that they move the goalposts from one hour to the next. All i can do is try to keep on top of the situation and report things as they are at that moment. For those of you who are coming over in the next few weeks I can only suggest you watch this forum and more to the point keep in close contact with your own outfitters.... they're the guys you're paying your money to.

.500 Yes we must get together for a beer or two sometime. Jason hunted the ass off that client. But that's why I pay him so much money!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion: Everyone take a deep breath. I'm sure there is a lot of conflicting info that will be floating around about this. We seem to have had these types of threads on here before concerning some change in some regulation in some African country. A lot of messages get posted to the affect of "he said" then "she said", etc. Soon enough the facts will emerge. Let's not forget the recent hub bub we had concerning the in-transit issue that came up about South Africa. Let's just don't all start crying "the sky is falling" before all the facts are in.

My personal opinion, and I have no basis in fact to base it on, is that something is screwy with this. Somehow, I just don't see South Africa turning away foreign hunters over some goofy law or regulation like this. I suspect that some one has misread or misinterpreted something somewhere.

Also, is this new requirement actually in the new firearms regulations or is it something that the cops just decided to enact themselves? That wouldn't fly in the USA but I don't know how the SA legal system works. My question here is based upon Shakari's post which stated, "I've just spoken to Insp Conroy who is the top cop in charge of forearm import/export at JIA. He tells me that they have decided< !--color--> that from July 1st ALL firearms bought into the country have to have the serial number stamped on the barrel, the frame and the action."

Now, please, I'm not trying to make anyone mad here or to start an argument. I'm just trying to throw out some ideas and to also suggest that we all don't over react about this until the facts can be discerned.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
This is a VERBAL only from a Police contact we have .....

As Steve [ Shakari ] says,

Watch this space as the situation is fluid dependant upon whom you talk to .... this is Africa you know at the end of the day it sometimes depends upon whom you are lucky or unlucky to deal with upon arrival on any given day ... KEEP TAKING THE TABLETS and smile when you greet the man at the desk

Peter

==============================

I called the cop guy we know he comfirmed that all hunting rifles will be stamped at JHB INT on arrival. They will have a person on duty who will do it in front of the owners. They will be using the existing serial number of the gun but just marking it on all the other loose parts or detactable parts. Also the hand guns allowed in will be only for hunting and not self defence.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I can only speak for myself, but my information comes from people who SHOULD know of what they speak. Inspector Conroy is in charge of firearms importations, so I would hope the man would know his own regulations. After calming down,and scrapping my handgun hunting plans, I am now going to order a barrel stamp set from Midway @29.95 and have my friend who is an engraver put the serial # on my rifle barrels, just like they want. Seems like a Hell of a lot to go through, but I have been looking forward to this hunt for too long to kiss it goodbye for something this foolish. That said, however, my next African hunt will not be in South Africa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Just a suggestion: Everyone take a deep breath. I'm sure there is a lot of conflicting info that will be floating around about this. We seem to have had these types of threads on here before concerning some change in some regulation in some African country. A lot of messages get posted to the affect of "he said" then "she said", etc. Soon enough the facts will emerge. Let's not forget the recent hub bub we had concerning the in-transit issue that came up about South Africa. Let's just don't all start crying "the sky is falling" before all the facts are in

Hear hear. It was Shakari and AIR2000 that got everyone agitated about the 21 day advance permit a few months ago, and that turned out to be a chicken little act. While it might be some legal wanker's dream to serialize every part (remember the Luger?), that's just not practical today. British and other best guns were made with numbers on the major parts, so no problem there. But 90% of the world hunts with bolt action rifles and the international standard is to put the serial number on the action, the barrel being a consumable item. I don't see what fraud or crime one could commit based on an unnumbered barrel, despite the fact that for many years SA law DEFINED the barrel to be the firearm, the action being a mere appendage. The world's firearms manufacturers are not going to change their practice because some minor African country says so. And a lot of hunters are NOT going to have some half literate person inscribe a number on their pet Safari rifle's barrel with a Dremel tool in an airport. Forget it.

As far as handgun hunting, I don't see any advantage to the SA Govt to turning these folks away..although there aren't too many African countries left where you can do it. Namibia is a no no. Zambia with a lot of advance paperwork. Not sure about Zimbabwe, I don't think so.

So let's wait and see what really happens. Meanwhile, don't put down a deposit, nobody's going to steal your hunt with this up in the air. Tell your PH you'll pay him the deposit when you clear customs. He should understand.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Guys, the police in this country do as they damn well please and at the end of the day seem to answer to nobody except their ANC political masters.
This new act is causing chaos already, and it is only being officially implemented 1 July.
Steve and Air 2000 were not just whistling Dixie when they soke about the 21 day permit issue. It was in the regs and is still in the regs. The only difference is that since we howled about it, they added a discretionary clause. What is still in the regs is that every person temporarily importing a firearm "may" be required to submit fingerprints and material from his country indicating competency, ownership and permission to take the firearm out of country and a bunch of other stuff. ( I think that pic's, fingerprints etc should be mandatory, you yanks are a shifty lot) Again, after protest they added a discretionary clause. But it is all still in the regs chapt 6, sect 61,-66.
There is nothing in the regs requiring this stamping issue of existing weapons. What this stamping will affect is the manufacture, replacement or repair of firearms, because everything now has to be numbered - actions, barrels, slides etc. So whereas before, if you had your weapon barrel replaced you applied to have the old one scrapped and the new one to have the old number, now you have to go through the whole rigmarole of applying for a new barrel to be licenced. Now when you apply for the licence it will have to reflect the barrel#, action# and if the bolt is replaced, that # as well.
We tried to get the idiots to see logic, but politics held sway. But again, some topcops have decided on a course and will enforce it until challenged in court, and then use taxpayer money to fight the case.
Moves are afoot to bring an injunction against the cops and solicit the help of the minister of tourism to get some semblance of sanity going.

Our SABS are also climbing into the fray for weapons imported into SA over the past few years. They want to proof every one of those firearms and have called on the owners to bring them in, alternatively, they will get the contact details from the police register and contact the owners and suggest they bring them in. This is voluntary (yeah right) at this stage, but who is prepared to put money down that it suddenly becomes mandatory and for a fat fee.

one of us
posted Hide Post
500 Nitro, What do you think the best course of action for us would be. Do we serial # the barrels, or just hope we get around this when we get to Joburg? Thanks, Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

<<drunken stupor mode, on>>

Yeahhhhhhhh!!! You GO, man!!! Tell it like it is!!! *hic* Don't take any of that "You gotta mess up your guns" crap! *hic* Way to go, man! RIGHT ON!!!

<<drunken stupor mode, off>>

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, stone cold sober, RET.

You've got a Searcy on order, don't you? What if SA decides that they want you to permanently weld a large orange flag on the front of it, maybe to allow the police to spot you better if you decide to go on a sniper spree?

If I'm given the choice of disfiguring fine rifles, and quite likely destroying a lot of their value, or hunting somewhere else, I'll choose the latter option.

Africa is a big place.

Then again, I could always take a Remington or a 45-70.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, you misunderstood my humor. I'm totally behind you 100 percent. I was saying, about MYSELF, as if in a drunken stupor, "Yeah, go get 'em!" You know... attaboy? That kind of thing.

Just my way of piping in when I had nothing else to say.

I'm with you; I'd never defile any of my firearms for the sake of someone's bureaucratic whim. Nope, no way.

Oh, and, um... I WISH I had a Searcy on order!

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification.

I was sure I'd read you had put a deposit on a Searcy. My mistake.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
That's me with the Searcy .470 on order... also known often to be in a drunken stupor.

Interestingly, I hunted in RSA with a guy who had a Remington 742. I asked him how he got it in the country and he said he paid $100 to the police. His buddy had two rifles in .375 H&H caliber. It cost him $100 extra, too. I wonder where that money went?

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Oh no, I'm being attacked bt Russ again!....think I'll just go and slit my wrists!

All I can say is that the powers that be just keep on changing the rules. I've spoken to Insp Conroy who is the the top cop at JIA (whether Russ likes it or not) and I've spoken to PHASA and to local gundealers and am told the following:

Insp Conroy:- From 1/7/04 ALL rifles coming into RSA will need to have their serial number stamped on the barrel, action and bolt. If they don't then they will not be allowed in. The requirement is in the act which is on the website. No more- no less.

PHASA: Yes it is bloody stupid, and we're trying to get a meeting with the powers that be to discuss things. Until then we're not prepared to issue a statement. The act is available on the SAPS website and until things change they'll remain the same.

My comment: Yes it is bloody silly and extremely unreasonable, but I for one have had my firearms engraved as per the requirement. I'm in and out of RSA like a yo-yo and although I don't like this anymore than anyone else, I can't afford to be without my rifles. What the rest of the forum do is entirely up to them. Russ: If you disapprove of my posts or of Air 2000 or of the act, I suggest you tell the person, company or Government concerned......I'm sure that once they hear of your disapproval, they'll all commit hari-kari and then you can rule the world and make whatever laws you wish.

Until then, I'll try to help the hunting fraternity in general and my clients in particular with this as much as I can. All I can do is keep my ear to the ground and report what I'm told by the various parties.....Just because I'm the messenger, It's no reason shoot me. All I'm doing, is reporting the current situation as it stands at that moment in time.....which appears to be a hell of a lot more than PHASA or most outfitters or agents are doing.

If someone/anyone doesn't like that, then they don't have to read the posts.

Incidentally, the 21 day advance notice of a few months ago, wasn't a "chicken little act" it was what the SAPS were telling us what was required AT THAT TIME......but as I said in a previous post, I don't have a crystal ball and I'm not psychic, so I can't see into the future to know what the next weeks requirements will be.

One last point is that I don't have any interest in Air 2000, but I will be using their services for the foreseeable future (at full price) as I've also just been told by Insp Conroy, PHASA and a local gundealer that the new firearms import form is ten......yes ten pages long. Christ knows what they can find to fill ten pages, but that's the CURRENT situation.

If I hear any more news, from PHASA or the SAPS I'll post it.....if that's alright with you Russ. :

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I leave soon for s.a. All I can say is this--after all I have read on gun laws on this website---this is definately going to be my one and only trip to s.a., thats if I dont decide to change my mind and not even go this time. Would I like to go shoot African game?? Sure. I can also go and shoot grizzly bear, moose, elk, caribu and more and have just as good a time and probably more because I won't have to do "the dance" as hard. The facists can stick it as far as I'm concerned...

Posts: 318 | Location: People's Republic of New York | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
TJC, perhaps the best option is to have the numbers etched on in fine typeface in an unobstrusive place. We are still seeking clarification but with this bunch of arrogant goons it could take awhile.
I notice that both my pre'64's already have the serial number scribed onto their bolts.
We have a few interesting issues when this act comes into being on the 1st. One issue is the rstriction except for certain exemtions on the maximum amount of primers and or ammo one can legally possess. The goons in power cannot tell us if we immiediately become criminals when the act comes in if we are over the limit, or whether there is a phase in period allowing us to apply for the permits which will allow us to be over the minimums.

posted Hide Post
Expect for hunters about to fly out, I really don't see what the fuss is about. If the regulations say serial number to be on action barrel and bolt, then either do it or hunt else where.

The whole world is getting deeper and deeper into red tape espcially where firearms are concerned. A lot of it is stupid, but thats the same in every walk of life.

For the travelling hunter this one minor ones...I bet their are plenty of Canadians who who glad engrave such information on their bolts and barrels if it meant they could easily transit the US as the once could.

Now the devil maybe in the detail, but if the serial number can be stamped in very small type face as per 500Nitro, I don't see why it would devalue a firearm; just think how small/unobtrusive proof marks are or even hall marks on jewelry for that matter. Now if the Act stipulates similar stamping as on my CZ550, then people with fine firearms can complain!

For the resident gunowner in RSA I can see that this serial number requirement is only the tip of the iceberg and there is a whole host of other red tape stemming off it, so its those guys I feel sorry for.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That's me with the Searcy .470 on order... also known often to be in a drunken stupor.

Interestingly, I hunted in RSA with a guy who had a Remington 742. I asked him how he got it in the country and he said he paid $100 to the police. His buddy had two rifles in .375 H&H caliber. It cost him $100 extra, too. I wonder where that money went?

I knew it was one sotty old curmudgeon on this site - and Atkinson already has his Searcy! Do you have the nostrils to handle a 470, Judge?

Perhaps this Act is just a way for the SA gov't to raise the airport coppers compensation level without actually giving them a pay raise.

The next question is, does the serial number bullshit apply if I'm just flying thru Joberg to Namibia or elsewhere?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

(3) A firearm that is temporarily imported or in-transit through the Republic of
South Africa which does not have a manufacturer�s serial number stamped on
the barrel, frame or the receiver of the firearm or which has a manufacturer�s
serial number stamped on the barrel or the receiver of the firearm that
duplicates with a similar make, model, type and calibre firearm that appears
on the Central Firearms Register, must be allocated with a unique firearm
identification number by the Registrar and such number must be affixed to
the firearm in the form of a tag securely affixed to the firearm and that
number must remain on the firearm for the period that the firearm remains in
the Republic of South Africa.

Inspector Conroy may be the top cop but he can't read. The act, qouted verbatim above, clearly states that firearms temporarily imported (as in "by visiting hunters") must have a unique number stamped on either the barrel, OR the receiver, OR the frame. If it were inclusive, the remedy doesn't make sense (ie affixing a tag to a gun that has the marking only on the receiver, for example).

When I lived in SA, nobody below the rank of Captain in the SAP had any real sway. Major was better. I don't even know where an "Inspector" ranks. I think Shakari is talking to someone too low down in the ranks.

The gunshops are reacting to the other part of the act, applicable to guns PERMANENTLY imported. There, the act is clear that the number has to be on BOTH the bbl and the receiver/frame. Note the very clear wording in this case.

Quote:

28. (1) Any permanently imported firearm which does not have a manufacturer�s
serial number or which has a manufacturer�s serial number that duplicates
with a similar make, model, type and calibre firearm that appears on the
Central Firearms Register, must for the purpose of its licensing in the Republic
of South Africa, have the additional identification mark determined by the
Registrar under section 23(4) of the Act, stamped on the barrel and the
frame, or the barrel and the receiver of the firearm in accordance with the
provisions of this regulation

So go hunt, guys. Piss on me if you get into trouble, but my reading is the worst that can happen is they will put a sticker on your gun.

Remember, you read it here!

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

Your post is the first thing I've seen that makes sense. I think there may be some confusion some times as to what applies to citizens of South Africa as opposed to visiting foreigners. Somebody reads or hears part of a story and then jumps to conclusions or generalizations. It makes sense that for visiting hunters the SA government just wants to make sure that there is an identifying serial number on the weapon. There is a big difference between temporarily imported and permanently imported.

Just my two cents....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote