Login/Join

one of us
posted
/

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Alf,

A masterpiece, from a time gone by...I hope all your shots will leave up to its reputation..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
What a classic! thumb

I hope it gives you a lot of great memories!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you guys on this forum. Showing all these classics has got me to not even want a new gun anymore. thumb

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Gotta love those .303's! You have quite a collection and I am as envious as always. Good show man!

Also, I have a No.4 Mk1 Lee-Enfield that someone half-heartedly shaped the stock on and I plan to restock it sooner or later. Would you mind if I got a few more photos of your African Enfields when the time comes?

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I believe the saying went "All you need for Africa is a .303 and a .404." That absolutely must be the .303 in question!

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
any pics of the oil bottle?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
It would be great for everyone to post the classic small bore african guns. I saw a WW Greener Mauser bolt in 303 once. I should have taken it home.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, how close is that magazine box/floorplate to a siamese mauser? It looks very similar.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF: thanks for the pictures. These are truly masterpieces. By the way, the picture you quote was "The Ghost and the Darkness", that being the lions´ names given by the natives, I understand.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF,

What a magnificent speciman! I have the Enfield Mark IV made in 1932 but strictly military and only fair condition. But does it ever shoot and IS fun to shoot. I get sub 1/2" at 50 yards with the peep sight using 165 grain non-corrosive "cheap" ammo (usually made in Pakistan in the 60-70's). And I can shoot it all day. ENJOY!

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Very nice piece Alf !

I have a very soft spot for the 303 maybe it is because it was the first rifle that I got and still ahve have or maybe it is because of all the animals 80% of them dropped on the spot with the old 303. Most of them were warties over a 100.

My enfield just love warties jumping

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 303's. Shot them at Bisley in my younger days, at ranges out to 800 yards. Of couse, this was in the days when real men did not wear ear protection. My ears used to ring for three days after a day of shooting at Bisley. I though this was normal! Half a day of shooting and half a day in the butts.
Those were the days.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Alf, I just wanted to compliment you not only on the "new toy", but also on the quality of the photo's. They should be in a new section of AR called "Hey! If your photo's aren't this good, don't post 'em"! thumb

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice rifles indeed....keep the pics coming

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, ALF. thumb

As always you have excellent taste!

There is an Australian company manufacturing Enfield actions anew though they have chosen to chamber their rifle in the 308 class of chamberings and not the fantastic old 303. thumbdown I hope that they make Lee Speed style sporters on their rifles instead of the No 4 style rifles that they make at present.

Congratulations again and good hunting with your new beauty!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats great looking rifle. Somehow the old guns have a certain charm and feel that none of the newly made rifles have! Would be interested to know what you paid for it!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,

I was thinking that the .303 in "Ghosts...." was a Lee-Medford (or is it Metford?) Anyway, what's the difference in that and a Lee-Enfield??

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
Alf,

I was thinking that the .303 in "Ghosts...." was a Lee-Medford (or is it Metford?) Anyway, what's the difference in that and a Lee-Enfield??

Rich Elliott

Metfords have a different BBL, plus a few other mecanical differences, but the actions are pretty much the same as the No1 (keep in mind though, that there are many variations of the No1). With any luck, someone who collects Lee-Enfields will be able to help with the finer points.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

Whichever rifle he had, the .303 was a tad on the dinky side for the problem he had at hand, eh?

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
quite a delight for you to reveal this m98-303. I like the style of the subtle shallow dropbox.

I would like to hunt with something very similar, the rimless .303 magnum cartridge gets me going for some reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first centerfire rifle was a # 1 Mark III that I bought for $9.95 plus shipping when I was a boy.
(Yes, Cordite had arrived by then Smiler)
I "sporterized" it and shortened the barrel to about 20 inches or so. Probably the reason I was hald deaf by the time I reached my 20's.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Alf

As usual, very very nice.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Is that the slant box .303NE that was reviewed in Magnum a couple of years ago? I too have a couple of .303 Sporters, they are lovely rifles to shoot and to take in the field

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Alf thanks for sharing with us part of your collection ,very intersting the mauser ,i love Mausers and i have quite a few but your two rifles are spectacular and almost new congratulations.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Beauties, thanks or sharing.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:

My rifle is one of the few Intermediate actioned 303's that never made it to England.

I must say it is wierd to hold a rifle in a true blue Brit caliber like 303 and then to have all else pure German down to the Mauser Oberndorf A/N on the left rail.

Thanks Alf,
Both rifles are very special. They should warm the cockles of any white hunter's black heart. Almost enough to cause me to swear off stainless barrels and synthetic stocks.

How in the world did you find these treasures?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BOING!!!
Very nice! My own is an Army/Navy CSL with some engraving and a nickel(?) plated butt. They are some of the nicest finished rifles of the factory made.
Dig the Mauser, too!! First non-Rigby slant box I've seen.
Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 40 | Location: Back in the USAAAA!!!!! | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote