Notify
Tools

Booking Agents for Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted
Merry Christmas!

A trip to Namibia is on the table and I am starting to poke around a bit about who is who over there. Can anyone recommend a reputable booking agent (from personal experience please)?

thanks in advance

James

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend an I hunted with Jan du Plessis at Sebra Safaris. We had a great hunt with him, and the food and accommodations were also great. Jan does not use a booking agent, but you can contact him directly at sebra@iway.na. Several other members have also hunted with Jan and give him good recommendations.

This is about the time of their summer break so he may be on the coast with his family, so it may take a little time to get a response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second hunting with Jan. I went with him for my first trip in '07. Great experience, Took some great trophies, and the entire family was wonderful.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I had a look online and they look like they are operating in some nice country. I noticed that their farm is on a conservancy .....was it perimeter fenced? Thanks again for the info.

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
contact Hentie van Heerden

http://www.vanheerdensafaris.com/

He has some great concessions.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BCJames:
Thanks guys. I had a look online and they look like they are operating in some nice country. I noticed that their farm is on a conservancy .....was it perimeter fenced? Thanks again for the info.

I hunted at Sebra this past May.....

No high fence, cattle fences yes.

Had a good time.

As stated he's probably away right now. I set my hunt up about this time last year and we finalised things in January.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
thanks Jan, I will have a look.

Dinsdale, what was your opinion on the fence height? .....I have seen some pretty tall "cattle" fences.

Thanks guys

James

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Jan's cattle fences are as standard as you would find anywhere in North America. His land is not high fenced. The Conservancy is huge and game is plentiful. The du Plessis are fantastic hosts as well.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Our own Greg Brownlee and his firm book for a great outfit in Namibia that I hunted with about three years ago. Stupendous area, great people, stellar hunting....and at prices reminiscent of a decade ago.

Trust me, you will not be disappointed! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fence height?

Before or after the new cattle herd guy ran a cow herd right over the top in front of Jan and I?

He wasn't too happy with that dude.

Seen it coming like a train wreck.

LOL

Just regular 4 strand......we had to open gates a couple times here and there depending on what and where we hunted.Its down in spots around the his perimeter, animals are held by a series of boreholes both on windmills and solar. No cattle back on the property where we mostly hunted. Looked for Steenbok in the grassy area closer to lodge where the cattle are.

Shares his border with his dads place, another outfitter (Shona), another farm as I understand it.

Mike who posts here as "m3taco" is a good guy to talk too about Sebra......client and friend of Jan.

I would consider it an easy relaxing hunt. We glassed quite a bit and made a few stalks off of it. Did some walking to see what we'd kick up. Drove some and set up a shot from a short walk if we spotted something.

I think Jan hunts smart, doesn't waste time, and looks for good opportunities.A very honest guy to deal with.

We didn't hunt mid day and went back to camp for lunch except if on animals. I went for a couple mile walk then to look around and spot birds on most days.

I did a 10 day booking with 8 full hunting days. Shot Hartmann Zebra,Klipspringer,Steenbok,2 Gemsbok,Jackel off Sebra....travelled about an hour to take 2 Springbok off a distant relatives place (again cattle and horse ranch low fence). Lots of Gemsbok of very good quality around, Springbok on other ranch were very good and we had 2 in a quick hunt.Lots of Klipspringer and more Steenbok than I expected. Seen Hartmanns several times, just a few Warthog.

Seen some dead Kudu from rabies and I would have a talk if that was a high priority IMO.

Blew 2 chances at Hyena in daylight.....both my fault.....what a dope. First I had an empty chamber as I'm just not used to having an empty gun. Been 6 or 7 years since I hunted that way with another outfitter and should have practiced that more. Click instead of a bang.I was so damn surprised to spot that animal I totally forgot I was empty.

Second chance we set up a electronic caller at dusk where we seen them the first time and I took a tight shot over a large tree limb just a few yards in front of the Hyena.Dumped it right off the rock it was on and a 3 meter drop. Lots of blood and the next day we tried tracking it up with the trail petering out in the rocks. Damn. Made a very good effort IMO for a recovery.

Has good loaner rifles if required (Ruger fan with Leupold). He would fit in good here and doesn't like Blasers, including mine. Didn't like my scope choice either....but back peddled to say Kahles is OK(3.5-10x50) but Swarovski isn't (I had a spare 270 barrel and Swaro scope). Can't please em' all. rotflmo

Put two in a Gemsbok as first shot was a little far back and knew it right away, everything else dropped with in 20 meters of one shot except the Hyena. 30-06 with 180gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws.

Trophies went to recommended taxidermy for dip and pack in 2 months(August 1st). Sat there for 3 months. Went to freight folks(Pronto) in mid Nov and are now waiting for a plane ride and paperwork is complete. Holiday there and the month off til' mid Jan. is holding things up. Expect them mid to late January I hope.

I pre-researched prices for all that and came in VERY close to estimates given. I wanted the Zebra and packing a few skulls, horns, and small capes doesn't add anything to the administration end and just a third to freight costs.

Meals are outstanding, camp is comfortable. I'd rate it a very good experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jan's place is a cattle ranch. The fences are 3-strand smooth wire (they don't seem to use barbed wire like here in the US) and about 3.5 to 4 ft. high. If I remember correctly, it is about 22,000 hectares. His father's ranch is adjacent and we hunted on it also. He has lots of gemsbok, kudu, and Hartmann's mountain zebra. He can also take you on other ranches in the area. We saw big leopard tracks every day and I plan to go back to hunt one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Omujeve Hunting Safaris. They don't have an agent.
I hunted plains game with them in May 2013. GREAT OUTFIT!!!! GREAT ACCOMADATIONS & FOOD.
I think they have access to 5,000,000 acres.
They will be at the Dallas Safari Club show in January.

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
We saw big leopard tracks every day and I plan to go back to hunt one.

Same here on the tracks.

We hung a bunch of baits and another member on here took a cat this year in July or August, but I don't have any details.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BCJames:

As mentioned above, I'm pretty good friends with Jan & Mariesje with Sebra Hunts Safaris. Been going there every year since 2008. This year I was with them for about 7 weeks. Went over with a friend of mine for his first African safari, then stayed over for another friend and his daughter for their first safari, then my wife came over and she and I hunted to finish out our time.

As mentioned earlier, you can book directly with them and not have to work through a booking agent.

They only book between 8-10 "hunts" a year. You, or your group will be the only people on their property for the duration of your hunt so, you and your hunting desires/styles are personally catered to. Because he is a small family operation, he doesn't go to the "big shows" in the US. Therefore he doesn't have the associated overhead that gets charged back to the clients they book. Daily 1x1 is $300. 2x1 is $250 and observer is $150.

Between his and his father's adjoining farm, they hunt on approximately 50K US acres. His father also has several other farms that don't join the main farm that add another 20K US acres. All of their farms are all low-fenced (waist high), non-barbed wire. This fence style is enough for the cattle to "honor" it (most of the time) and still low enough for the elephants to step over it when passing through. All hunts are free-range, fair chase. They have a series of bore holes (wells) to hold/attract game. They do NOT supplemental feed.

Nearly all of the game farms in that area are part of the 650K acre Loxodonta Africana conservancy. Jan does do some hunting on some neighboring farms that are high-fenced for species that may no be on his property. These properties are over 10K acres and the only time you even see a fence is when you enter.

With the current Leopard permitting process in Namibia, Jan always get at least one permit and sometimes two a year and fills what he gets. This year he had a guy coming in behind us for a 21-day hunt and part of what we were doing was pre-baiting for him. When we left we had 3-4 different cat on baits and the guy ended up with a very nice tom. Side note - Jan spotted big male lion tracks on the property for the first time in over 20 years.

As mentioned above, the kudu in most of NW Namibia have been hit hard by a strain of rabies specific to kudu. For some reason it only effects the very old bulls and not the cows or younger bulls. That said, while the numbers are down, there are still some damn fine bulls on the property. I took a true 60" in 2013 and my wife took one just a hair under 60" in 2012 and I think every other kudu taken this year was better than 56". Typical gemsbok bulls 38-41. Cows, 40+. steinbok, klipspringer, damara dik-dik and mountain zebra are the most prevalent PG on the properties. There are warthog, but the winter of 2014 was colder than normal and they were hit hard so trophy boar numbers were down this year.

Another good guy and property is Shona Hunting Adventures - Johann & Vera Veldsman. It boarders Jan's place to the NE. I''ve not hunted with them but spent time with them socially, seen their facilities and wandered their property a little. Jan and Johann are long time friends and occasionally PH for each other if needed and the other is available.

If you book a hunt with Sebra, one of things I've done is put together a "Planning Guide" that takes you through everything you need to know - from airlines and routing recommendations, documentation and permits, shots, visas, kit, where to stay in Windhoek, rental cars if you decide to do some side sight-seeing etc. I update it every year with current info, and I'm a local phone call away here in the US. Just to be clear, I don't get a fee or any other consideration/compensation from them. I did it because they are my friends and I grew up an a farm and understand his desire to pass the farm on to his son (fourth generation on the property). Also, they don't travel to the US and don't have direct familiarity with the requirements for getting there and back.

They have limited/sporadic internet connectivity and sometimes it may take a couple of days to get a response to emails sent so, if you do email them don't get too worried if it takes a couple of days to get a reply. If you PM me with your email address I'll send you a copy of their flier with prices and can answer most questions you have. Bookings dates and money are handled directly with them.

There are a number of PH's/Outfitters that enjoy a similar solid reputation here on AR so, you're likely to have a good experience with one of them as well.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
thanks to all who have commented...a ton of great feedback here.

m3taco: pm sent

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried to tag on a visit/ hunt in the Kalahari Desert along with a traditional pg hunt in NE Namibia? Is this idea feasible or logistically more effort than its worth?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BC:

PM received - have the flier on a thumb drive somewhere that I'll dig up in the morning and email to you.

Regarding your question on a "Kalahari", most of Namibia is part of the Kalahari. If you want to get into the deep desert, rent a car in Windhoek and drive over to the Skeleton Coast and Swakopmund/Walvis Bay. About a 4-5 hour drive. That puts you in the Namib Desert with a number of great things to do/see. Can also drive down to Sossusvlei (6-7 hr drive) or farther south to the second largest canyon on the planet - Fish River Canyon (7-8 hr drive).

Econo class rental car will run you about $50 US /day and fuel about $5 US /gal.

We usually rent a car and drive around for a week to ten days every year (except the first) and other then driving on the other side of the road and remembering to limit your driving to day light hours only (no national 911 phone system and other factors) it is a piece of cake.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM on my Namibia 2005 trip.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
BCJames,

I would recommend Jan Westdyk of African Rosette Safaris (http://www.africanrosette.com/). I have hunted with him in Mozambique and, most recently, Namibia. Jan is excellent all around and I am certain can help you with just about whatever you'd like.

He does hunting in both the Kalahari and Khomas Hochland dependent upon what you'd like. All trips are free-range, fair chase.

If you'd like any more info or some pictures from my trip please feel free to send a PM.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:

Second that. He is an AR member and a fine hunter. Good bloke to boot,

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:

Second that. He is an AR member and a fine hunter. Good bloke to boot,

Sir, I book for several Namibian outfitters - and have been there a couple of times too. Frankly, Hentie is as good as they come. Consider contacting him, or I can help you with some additional info too.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what type of hunt you were looking for, PG or DG or maybe a combination. Talking to a "GOOD" booking agent will help you find out what's available and what interests you. I've used Mark Young here on AR and Jack Atcheson & Sons and both did an outstanding job. As for as outfitters, look at Jamy Traut, Van Heerden Safaris, one you might look at is Stephan Jacobs (SMJ Safaris). He doesn't do much advertising in the USA. Hunts in the Nyae- Nyae conservancy along with private land. Namibia has a lot to offer, the Caprivi, Hereoland-Ondjou conservancy with the Bushman, desert. Has good roads and very friendly.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I have to echo the thoughts of Dale, Rhys, Dinsdale, Ann and M3taco regarding Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris. I hunted with Jan in 2012 and 2013 and only skipped 2014 due to knee surgery. I'm already booked for June 2015. If you book with Jan, you WILL be going back to hunt with him again in future years. Here's my kudu from 2012:

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Hentie. MY son and I hunted with him a few years ago and had a great time. We dealt directly with him, no middle man. Good luck.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. I was a bit low on detail as to what I am looking for ( still figuring some parts of that out). As it stands now we are looking at a PG hunt For this trip. Low fence. It will be my wife and I along with my parents. Also possibly looking at bringing an 8 and 9 yr old along as we'll.....which adds a bit of complexity. Would appreciate the opportunity to due some tourist stuff while we r there like a park tour and a trip to the coast.

So lots of stuff to consider, but it looks like a number of very qualified outfitters have been mentioned here. I have contacted all those mentioned to get a dialogue going.

Thanks again to all those who have posted and PM'd. AR is quite a resource!

James

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
I have to echo the thoughts of Dale, Rhys, Dinsdale, Ann and M3taco regarding Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris. I hunted with Jan in 2012 and 2013 and only skipped 2014 due to knee surgery. I'm already booked for June 2015. If you book with Jan, you WILL be going back to hunt with him again in future years. Here's my kudu from 2012:

Nice Kudu, Bud!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would personally never hunt with an outfitter who charges trophy fees on a sliding scale. Lot's of good one's who do not. Research is half the fun IMO.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BCJames:
Good stuff. I was a bit low on detail as to what I am looking for ( still figuring some parts of that out). As it stands now we are looking at a PG hunt For this trip. Low fence. It will be my wife and I along with my parents. Also possibly looking at bringing an 8 and 9 yr old along as we'll.....which adds a bit of complexity. Would appreciate the opportunity to do some tourist stuff while we are there like a park tour and a trip to the coast.

So lots of stuff to consider, but it looks like a number of very qualified outfitters have been mentioned here. I have contacted all those mentioned to get a dialogue going.

Thanks again to all those who have posted and PM'd. AR is quite a resource!

James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BC I got to stop and do a little sight seeing in the Kalahari while I was in Namibia. My guide also drove me and the family to Sossusvlei for the day for no charge. On the way home when the hour was late they called a friend who owned a nearby lodge Lapa Lange who gave us 2 bungalows for the night. Again for no charge. They also opened their restaurant for steak dinner and drinks when we rolled in late a night. I posted a full hunt report that covers my entire trip. here....

I would recommend Omujeve to anyone. http://forums.accuratereloadin...881065191#2881065191

Posts: 65 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote