Find
Notify
Tools

SA Cape Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted
Will be in RSA,Limpopo region for 14 days(last week of june first week of july) for specific plains game. My girlfirend will be going(her 2nd safari my 3rd), may have a chance for her to shoot a cow cape buffalo. My question is,what is a fair price for trophy fee on a cow cape buffalo??? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wesley

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
How long is a piece of string? Confused

Just about as difficult to reply to your question on reasonable cow buffalo trophy fees.

Most, [but I'm not implying 'all'!] cow buffalo shot in South Africa are somehow misfits from disease free buffalo breeding programs. To explain what is involved in breeding disease free buffalo is a very long story. But relevant to my reply it involves keeping and feeding and hopefully breeding buffalo in cages - or if you wish to be symantically more exact, very small camps. Some buffalo simply never want to become tame enough to thrive, and breed, under these conditions. Some cows prove to be sterile, for these and many other reasons a specific cow [or bull] buffalo may just not be worth holding and feeding in such a cage.

They are then typically released into a bigger, but by hunting standards still a small camp, and offered for hunting. These are used to people [as they have been fed daily in a cage] and some are indeed very dangerous!

There are a few places where game farms have herds of buffalo in which the owner may have identified a few very old, and no longer breeding cows. Such cows are worthless, unless hunted.

As I do not know where and with who you are hunting it would be inappropriate to publically speculate about hunting costs. Send me a PM and we can exchange further thoughts on this subject.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Cow buffalo in RSA will still expensive but not as expensive as a bull and the cow will be marked. In other words they will know the exact cow to be shot as she will basically be over the wall !

It also depends on where you will hunt her. Next or close to Kruger you will hunt normal buff and anywahre away from there will be disease free. Disease free means more money and expensive. The cows next to Kruger has been advertised from $2500.00 US roughly in a local magazine daily rates excluded so I expect anything over $3000 would be to high as a trophy fee.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Both Andrew and safari hunt have got it right. I arranged a cow last year for a local client up near Kruger. She was a reject from a disease free breeding program and it was at a price he could afford to pay.
Disease free critters are normally expensive and are the old non breeding stock.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote