New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baker, OR big bore shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I attended the big bore shoot in Oregon this weekend and had a ball. There were about 30 competitors from all over the country. I saw at least 30 double rifles, and most were of English make. In addition there were another 15 combination guns and 10 or 12 big bore bolt rifles. Of the big and medium bore rifles present 10 or 12 were Westley Richards with a further sprinkling of Holland and Holland Royal grades, William Evans, Rigbys, Jeffery etc. There were only a couple of modern rifles including one Heym 9.3 X 74. My Searcy 470 and Geroge Hoening was there shooting his rotary actioned 9.3 X 74 double. Other notables in attendance were Buck Buckner and Keith Kearcher (match organizers), Chub Eastman and Jack O'Connors son Brad and his daughter Caroline.

The most impressive shooting performance was done by Bob Pearson of Georgia. He shot an 8 bore double by E. M. Reilly (sp.) and an original 600 Jeffery under-lever double. He handled those ultra big bores better than any other shooter even those shooting medium bore doubles. It was impressive watching him plant those big bore bullets side by side right between the eyes of the charging lion or into the kill zone of the running lion at 50 yards. An amazing performance and I would have to rate him as the best ultra big bore shooter I have ever seen. In addition it was obvious he has been to Africa and taken elephant and buff with the Jeffery 600.

Bob and his Reilly 8 bore.

With the 600 Jeffery.

A close up of the 600 Jeffery.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Walt,

It was a pleasure to meet you and all the others there.

I was impressed with all the guns and my eyes were sore from oggling them all.

The only thing more impressive than the size of the 8 bore shells (they looked like 40mm grenades, guys), was his shooting skills with his guns. He was showing a one hole group that he did with the 8 bore the day before when practicing. It wasn't a clover leaf, but one damn near symmetrical hole.

The down side was that one guy was selling a Cogswell 450/400 that looks to be the brother of my Coggy 475 NE. Might have been an expensive trip for me Roll Eyes .

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walt,
Sorry I missed it this year, but this Tanzania thing has kept me busy and on standby, also I have not been shooting or hunting much lately as my roping with my grandson has taken presidence it seems!Smiler I have not talked to Jim Brockman, but I am sure he will fill me in on the events.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What were he dates of this gathering? I live on the Oregon Coast and would be intrested in attending next year. Is there a website?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a terrific pair of rifles! What matches were shot and at what ranges?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geroge Hoening was there shooting his rotary actioned 9.3 X 74 double.

Do you have a picture of this double?

Just curious.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a pic of George Hoening's 9.3X74. The match is scheduled every other year and is by invitation only. Ray, we missed you.

The course of fire was quite complicated. They had one for combination guns that included both flying clays and a standing impala at 100 yds. The big bore bolt gun shoot was for 375 H&H and up had two shots at a standing lesser kudu at 150 yds, two shots at a full size running lion at 50 yds. and two shots from sitting position at a full size broadside buffalo target. The double rifle shoots were for double medium bores and another for double big bores (400 and up). The course included two shots at a charging lion that started 25 yds. away, two shots at the 50 yd running lion and then two shots free style at the buffalo target at 100 yds, followed by moving forward to 50 yards and two shots at a full size buffalo target that was facing you. The elephant shoot consisted of one round at a pop up full size elephant head at 50 yds (visible for 3 seconds then run for ward and two shots again at 25 yds again exposed for 3 seconds.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Here are a few pics of George's guns. the one is a vierling and is 22lr x 5.6 x50 x 20ga x 20ga. You switch from rifle to shotgun with a little lever and just roll the barrels over. I took these pics a while back when I wrote on article on George. He is probably the finest gun builder in existence; I have never met another builder who has put more thought or effort into making a firearm. In fact Boss shotguns bought one of his guns to put in their showroom. Also, several of the high-priced english builders use his stock machine to make their stocks.

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
BY the way, Owen Bartlett does the stocks and engraving. He is also a master of his trade.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you know Chris Onemus? He was supposed to be there and has a lot of very interesting vintage doubles and singles. At one time he owned one of Selous' rifles.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was this on Jeff Phillip's place?

His ranch is about twelve miles due east of Baker.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, the shoot was on the Baker Gun Club property next to the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. Jeff didn't make this shoot. I believe he was out of the country.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the best web site to view George Hoenig Rifles?

Has he his own site? I had thought he only built O/U.

The vierling sugguests to me that a straight SxS is possible.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote