New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline ammo box
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read some time ago, either on this forum or big game hunting, about a neat, lockable ammo box container. It was made / supplied by the Italian airline Alitalia. It met their, and other airline requirements for travelling with ammunition.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the link / thread.

Does anyone have leads to the information?

Thanks

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
robthom:

I have not seen the thread you referred to, but I use a Pelican 1200 case. It will hold 4-5 boxes of .375 or .458 depending on the manufacturer. It is lockable and darn indestructible. The down side is that it is a little bulky and heavy.

http://www.pelican.com http://www.cases4less.com

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
RCG's reply is the only thread that I remember. A few members really liked the pelican cases.......

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought an inexpensive metal cash box that locks and took out the plastic change tray.
Has worked for me and will again in Sept.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Harry - I just bought one today at WalMart for $10.00. It's not heavy and I know some of the airlines specify a metal box.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But WHICH airlines require a separate metal box? [Other than BA and Virgin Atlantic - per Pete.]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Four trips to Africa and I've only flown Delta and SAA on all of them. Pretty sure it was Delta. My theory is to use the metal box instead of plastic and there will be no question, should it even arise.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramrod:
Four trips to Africa and I've only flown Delta and SAA on all of them. Pretty sure it was Delta. My theory is to use the metal box instead of plastic and there will be no question, should it even arise.

I flew Delta and SAA with ammo in a locked plastic box. No one even wanted to look inside, and they did not ask how it was packed. They did ask if it was in my gun case, which was a no-no according to the Delta personnel (notwithstanding what their published rules may say).

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth ammo does not need to be in any locked box...It can be placed in your regular suitcase in factory cartons or any box that has cartridge seperators such as the factory boxes....It does need to be in a seperate container than your rifles..Some suggest a locked box in your gun case is Ok, but I have found that not to always be the case, depending on whos checking so I always carry ammo in my clothes luggage and guns and clothing, binocs, cameras in my Tuff case...In the tuff case be carefull of what you put in there, it should be recognizable in an X-ray or you will get a call to come to the baggage area and contact Customs or whoever....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As usual there is a ton of misinformation out there. If you want the real stuff, check out the TSA Website (URL below). Also, check the website for the airline you are using. I posted Delta's website below. Things haven't changed much if at all since May when I went to RSA. I flew Delta and then SAA. My ammo was packed in my rifle case. Check the websites below. That is a legal way to do it. If you want to go to the expense of getting another locking case, make it metal and small enough to pack in your checked luggage. I won't bother until I fly an airline that requires one.
For your convenience, I have posted the pertinent information from both websites below the URL for the website.

TSA Website

Following is a summary of key regulatory requirements to transport firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage:

* All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during the ticket counter check-in process.
* The firearm must be unloaded.
* The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container.
* The container must be locked.
* The passenger must provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared.
* Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
* Firearm magazines/clips do not satisfy the packaging requirement unless they provide a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
* The ammunition may also be located in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed as described above.
* Black powder and percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage.

Delta's website

Rifles
One rifle case containing:

* two or fewer rifles (with or without scopes)
* one shooting mat
* one small pistol tool kit
* noise suppressers
* 11 lbs. (approx. 5kgs) of ammunition

Cases containing more than two rifles will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
robthom,

I remember the thread you are on about, I think it was actually in the European Forum and it was one of our regulars who ended up being made to buy one while at the airport; Gatwick I think...

It was quite posh looking affair, but you'll find a metal cash box works just as well and comes in a variety of sizes. My only complaint is that they are a little heavy...

LHowell,

The company rules for both those airlines requires that the ammunition be packed in its "original containers and secured within a lockabe hardsided case"....

Before getting people to actually quote the rules, various staff of both airlines were happy to give their own interpretation of the rules...One assumed that "hardside case" meant the ammo had to be carried in a hard suitcase rather than say a holdall for instance...

Another suggested a locking plastic tackle type box would be ok, while soembody else thought that would not be secure enough, and the box should be metal.

As I mentioned above, I eventually used a metal cash box and that seemed to keep everybody happy.

Now, If you really want to confuse the airline staff, ask them what "original packaging" means as you load your own ammo.. Roll Eyes

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrkyhntr:
As usual there is a ton of misinformation out there.

The info as posted by patrkyhntr has been my experience.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote