THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    10 animals that have been hunted to extinction

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 animals that have been hunted to extinction
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.businessinsider.com...to-extinction-2013-1

Interesting old photos in attached link.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Interesting piece. Too bad it fails to mention that there were no real game laws on the books at the times of the animals' being "hunted" to extinction.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wooly mammoths hunted to extinction...I don't think so.
Another piece written by the antis.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate it Kathi...interesting stuff Cool

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
"Hunted to Extinction"?
The only hunting going on was for subsistence, depredation or commercial purposes.
Again we are labeled as the cause of all evils. Roll Eyes

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:
Interesting piece. Too bad it fails to mention that there were no real game laws on the books at the times of the animals' being "hunted" to extinction.

Most were hunted for food, and many were killed out for the exact purpose of making them extinct. All these things took place as is stated above when anything that was a food source was utilized, and the rest were killed to protect food supplies for people or the people themselves! And all were before any conservation laws were made to regulate the percentage that could be taken without endangering the long term availability of the renewable resource!

The American Bison was ordered wiped out by the government for no other reason than so the Indians could be kept under control on reservations.

Sport hunting has never made even one animal extinct since game laws have been in effect! Laws with bag limits that I might add that were asked for by sport hunters. Today the biggest danger to any species is MARKET hunting most of which is illegal.

Game animal laws are designed to maintain a renewable resource!

........................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Mac.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The American Bison was ordered wiped out by the government for no other reason than so the Indians could be kept under control on reservations.

While what Mac says above is valid to some extent...the truth is that hunter's bullets accounted for only 10-20% of the Bison that once roamed North America. Research reveals that the Bison herds were decimated by tubercullosis and brucellosis brought in by European cattle...those are the scientifically proven facts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
While what Mac says above is valid to some extent...the truth is that hunter's bullets accounted for only 10-20% of the Bison that once roamed North America. Research reveals that the Bison herds were decimated by tubercullosis and brucellosis brought in by European cattle...those are the scientifically proven facts.

Sorry Lane, but that is not proven fact. Too many people try to place blame where blame is not due. NO One has an actual figure on the numbers of buffalo in North America at ANY point in time, including YOU!

Buffalo east of the Mississippi were exterminated by 1832. Buffalo west of the Mississippi hung on longer, simply because of the Civil War, nothing more. Once that was over the killing took place daily. The buffalo did not have the chance to breed and rebuild their numbers. What people overlook, is that what happened to the buffalo, Was Not Hunting, it was a business and also it was a means of subduing the Plains Indians, PERIOD!!!!!

Thankfully buffalo did not become extinct, and all of the species that were listed as being hunted to extinction in this article, were species that never, even at their best levels were that populace.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Have you noticed how the lion was added as the last photo?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Number 11 is fast approaching:
White, heterosexual, Christian males that believe in the Bible, Constitution, Bill of Rights, own guns, hunt, believe that life begins at conception, and that marriage is between one man and one woman.
Bet this will stir the pot.
Cheers, all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
White, heterosexual, Christian males that believe in the Bible, Constitution, Bill of Rights, own guns, hunt, believe that life begins at conception, and that marriage is between one man and one woman.

WRONG, that one has already died out and there is no way it will brought back.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I was thinking the same thing. And notice the caption! Something about the photographer capturing human emotions on the faces of animals.

Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I was thinking the same thing. And notice the caption! Something about the photographer capturing human emotions on the faces of animals.

Roll Eyes

Was that Lambert or Mufasa? Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Cal,
tu2 tu2 tu2 Maybe for next year's DSC we can have T-Shirts made for this...with a last line of, "Get 'em while they're hot."

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal never a truer word spoken!

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some one ought to find that damn tree and burn it!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I don't doubt that human activity causes extinction in some cases, I really doubt most of these ten animals were extinct from "hunting."

Trapping and poisoning are not hunting.

Passenger pigeons are a very questionable case- despite being held up as the classic case of overhunting causing extinction. I've read somewhere that they had a very limited breeding ground and the fact that the area was being turned over to agriculture had more to do with this than market gunning.

Bison I am not so sure of what happened. I have heard that the herds were exterminated as a policy of the government to kill off the indians. I have also heard that the real killer was barbed wire fencing and keeping them from migrating. I have also hear the introduction of bovine TB being the major factor. As I have not seen a historian who can produce a government document saying "Kill the indians by exterminating the buffalo," I doubt that was the case. However, whatever the US government did do, the Canadians were not that friendly with us at that time, and why did their herds vanish as well? Somehow, I think the combination of factors, with habitat availability being the biggest factor, as it is now with the African species, is the major culprit. If a species is not that well adapted to its niche, or is overly specialized, evolutionary theory is pretty clear that it does not take much competition to drive it out.

The mammoth? Who has any clue as to why they are extinct. They died out well before recorded history, and while we can find evidence that they were hunted by humans, there is no proof that they were the only factor at play. In fact, I suspect that given the findings of mammoth in siberia, and the relative paucity of humans in siberia even now, that hunting mammoth was not the likely factor for extinction there.

The level of reporting that is passed off as "scientific journalism" is really poor. It is probably another example of the lack of critical thinking in today's undergraduate college environment; I don't want to think that all of the press is purely politically motivated.

Posts: 10989 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kathi.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Burkiana Faso and Benin the Bubal Hartebeest is live and well. Proof to follow soon Smiler

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Sorry Lane, but that is not proven fact. Too many people try to place blame where blame is not due. NO One has an actual figure on the numbers of buffalo in North America at ANY point in time, including YOU!

Buffalo east of the Mississippi were exterminated by 1832. Buffalo west of the Mississippi hung on longer, simply because of the Civil War, nothing more. Once that was over the killing took place daily. The buffalo did not have the chance to breed and rebuild their numbers. What people overlook, is that what happened to the buffalo, Was Not Hunting, it was a business and also it was a means of subduing the Plains Indians, PERIOD!!!!!

Thankfully buffalo did not become extinct, and all of the species that were listed as being hunted to extinction in this article, were species that never, even at their best levels were that populace.

Crazy - What Lane says is a proven fact, and widely accepted as "fact", via peer review.

If Lane cannot convince you of that, perhaps you can contact Dr. James Derr - the world's leading expert on the American Bison, from Texas A&M University. Ask him his what he thinks of Lane's assessment of the plight of the American Bison. Just sayin

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Crazy - What Lane says is a proven fact, and widely accepted as "fact", via peer review.

If Lane cannot convince you of that, perhaps you can contact Dr. James Derr - the world's leading expert on the American Bison, from Texas A&M University. Ask him his what he thinks of Lane's assessment of the plight of the American Bison. Just sayin!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote