Find
Notify
Tools

How to hang a zebra rug?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted
I will be moving into my new house soon and would like to hang my zebra rug on the wall.

I would like to know how some of you my have done this.

Do you simply nail through the felt or should I attach the rug to plywood then hang it? What type of nails, screws, ect. would you use?

Does anyone have a picture of a rug on the wall to show me what it might look like. I think I saw a picture here on this forum, but that was a while ago.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Go to a leather supply store and get some "D" rings. They can be stitched on the back of the rug by hand and the rug can be hunt on the wall.

Good luck.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rug is hung on the wall using staples. The staples go through the felt only and will hold in drywall and the holes are easily covered if you move it.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a staple gun with staples of th correct length depending on the wall surface...My skin has no backing but the staples are very hard to see.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred,
Where are the two D rings attached? Shoulder and hip?

Thanks

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always used small paneling nails or small finishing nails. Just drive them thru the edges of the rug. Don't drive them all the way in. Leave just a small amount of the head exposed to aid in removing them if you decide to move the rug at some time. The nails are all but invisible and you can find no damage to the skin. The D-rings would be okay until the skin started to sag between the rings.

/

Posts: 802 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray

By the neck? Your too kind.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one is making me laugh! I like the staple idea!..I have my zebra crudely nailed to the wall, along with black bear hides, moose hides, elk hides and some back skins from small SA antelope. A hammer and nail suits me, but the stapler, now that really suits me...! What a great idea...and so easy.

The part that makes me laugh though is Ray's murderous zebra hung by the neck. And then the question not asked (how to mount a zebra, or a bear for that matter).

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's important for a zebra to be well hung...

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank all of you for the information and the humor you have provided. I like the staple gun idea and most likely will give that a try. Thanks again.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could really retort to the mounting the zebra bit but screw it!

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
This how I hung my bear rug. Go to WalMart and buy a bunch of the one inch plastic rings in the craft section. Using 12# test fishing line , sew one every 12 or so inches along the top edge of your rug through the felt backing, but not necessarily through the skin itself, a couple of inches from the edge. Have (someone or two) hold your rug to the wall just how you want it to hang. Drive a nail in the dry wall and hang each ring. Worked great for my bear. Seems a bit more secure than just getting happy with the staple gun. I was dreading hanging it, but it took maybe 15 minutes or so. YMMV

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Zebra rug has been hanging since 1999, no problem; the biggest problem is that it took up 12 feet of wall space. I've hung bears with the head down with staples as well.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amosgreg,

I was wrong. It took 4 D-Rings. Right front leg, Right rear leg, Right front neck, and right lower stomach. The skin is 30 years old (mom-in-law purchased in Tanzania) and has been hanging for six years without any deformity and is easily removed for painting the wall.

I will send you a picture by E-Mail as I can't figure out how to add it to my post right now.

Fred

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fred!
I'll post the photo in this reply this weekend when I get back home for you.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray--I did not mean to offend you or anyone else by bringing up the aforementioned off-colored joke regarding zebra's.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote