Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Swampin'
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Good luck and stay safe to all you guys that are going to get dumped on along north coastal Texas and Louisiana.

Stay safe.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, it is going to be an interesting evening for sure.

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Batten down the hatches. We're all thinking of you and praying for your safety.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
You have been in my mind as I watched Ike head towards Texas...

Good luck and be safe...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
It just began to rain here now. Thanks for the hope.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Good luck guys.

For those interested here's a live news feed from KHOU:

http://www.khou.com/sharedcontent/video/makeASX.php?title=beloint_khou2&live=1

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stay safe...we had minor flooding in the panhandle of Florida and we were over 300 miles away!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. I have moved everything inside and we're sitting tight and hoping for the best. Hope to see you all tomorrow.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I spent the last two days boarding up windows and thinning out my trees. I'm about ready for a break! Winds are gusting here around 60, no rain, really strange. Storm surge is kicking Galvestons ass and all of the creeks and bayous are backing up. I am at 26 ft. elevation, hope its enough! Got plenty of gas for the generator and plenty of ammo for varmints. They caught some punks over in neighboring Kemah who decided to go shopping after the evac took place. They don't have to worry about the storm in the crossbar Hotel! Good luck to all my fellow members, we gonna need it!!! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PIERCE288
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

Illegitimi non carborundum

SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 159 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
This is definitely going to be an epic storm... Victoria ended up on the "clean" side. That is scant comfort when you realize how large this system is... prayers to those in it's direct path!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It's just starting to blow here now.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who know where it is, I live in Lynchburg near the ferry and the Battleship Texas. The ferry road has been under water for about 4 hours now. House is boarded up, generator is ready and so is the AR for any
would be looters. Lee440 I used my GPS to check my elevation, we are at 32ft. I sent the wife up Jersey Village way to a friends house. Wind has picked up and it has started raining. My cousin and his Browning Hi-power are forting up with me. Lee440 where in Houston are you? Be safe and keep your powder dry. Cool

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
my nephew and his wife just move to Houston with their new baby. my prayers are with them and all the rest of you fine folks.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Just some wind so far, and not too bad, yet. One weather guy has guessed the storm will pass on the western side of the county. (my side) Another weather guy has the storm going up the eastern side of our county. Suppose to still be a Cat 1, both are saying at sun up when it comes through.

Will just have to wait and see what happens in the AM. Got 276 rounds of 375 H&H for any miss guided varmits.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
The wind is becoming stronger at 11:35 tonight for us in on the central coast of Louisiana. Flooding is a problem. My home did not flood for Rita and I think I will be good again, however my business will have water. Hopefully we raised everything high enough. I am leaving for the Selous on Wednesday. Gustav and Ike surely tried to put a kink in my plans, thankfully I have a good partner and employees at work.

Galveston is going to be bad, hopefully everbody left.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Good luck to all of our Texan friends and their families, and Louisianans too.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thinkin' of you guys......... good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's moving on by, crappy day, lots of rain and wind, good day for drinking (which is how I spent my day)! Thanks to all for thinking about us! Smiler

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Just got a phone call from fellow AR member Lee440... They made it thru only wind damage and no serious water damage... Power may be out for a couple weeks or longer.. Was great to hear from a friend and good luck to the rest of fellow AR members in the Houstan area..

Mike & Cherie

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I am not living there now, BUT I will always consider Wharton home. Mama still lives there. She evacuated to Austin (mainly to see her newest grandchild) and as of 2 PM local time she was headed back. Of course Wharton was on the West/dry side.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
We lucked out again, no flooding in our home.

Our thoughts ans prayers are with everybody effected by Ike.

Ike Beachfront property (My front yard)

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Kingd, I am in Deer Park, so you're not too far away. We got really lucky, the power came back on at 9:30 pm. After Alicia it was two weeks! I had my gennie going, keeping all of the neighbors fridges and freezers alive, everyone swears they will buy a backup generator now, but I bet two months from now none of them will have done so! I lost a few big limbs off of my trees and some fence, but that is it, we dodged a bullet this time, If it had been a Cat 4, we would have looked like New Orleans after Katrina. Many of my neighbors were not so fortunate and lost parts of their roofs and got interior flooding from the ensuing rain, but all in all we have been blessed. I saw on the news that they are having a yacht sale in Galveston, over twenty 40-60 ft. cruisers and sailboats were deposited in the middle of I-45, completely blocking one side, the only thing that kept them there was the concrete divider down the center! Mother Nature showed us who is running things! Gonna be getting a bunch of chainsaw time in. Thanks to all who cared and good luck to my AR neighbors! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I remember I just arrived in Houston as Alicia hit. I was staying at the Hilton Hotel at Hobby airport.

Of course, Alicia was no where as strong as Ike, so our thoughts and prayer go to everyone in its path.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68596 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We made it through fine, just one small wind driven rain roof leak. Otherwise just tree limbs. We got our power back pretty quickly, and I'm sure it wouldn;t have happened if I hadn't gotten a generator Wed am. Hope all the rest of the Houston crowd make it as well as we did. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lee440,we got power on 9/18 and internet today. The eye went right over my house. I lost 20+ trees, some over 75' high. The Lord must have been my pilot 'cause the trees fell all around my house and not on it. My cousin and I went out in the eye and talked to our neighbor. It was a hell of a ride. My wife and son came back on Sunday. Wednesday night I got woken up by someone tripping over some plywood I had taken down. I hit the front yard with a light and my 45ACP. I'm not sure if it was the pistol or me in my shorts that scared them, but I heard them running thru the limbs to get away. Then Thursday night at 0130 somebody rang my front door bell and beat on my door. This time I was out with AR with 2 clips, light and laser sight. This time I saw them hauling ass down the street. I opted not to fire as they were no threat. Anyway we are back up and running, just got a landscape job courtesy of Ike. Hope everybody came out ok. Lee440 maybe we can get together for a shoot sometime. My son goes to DPJH.

Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Power back in Clute / my house after going on two weeks. A/C is grand stuff!!!! And our mosquitoes are horrid! God bless all the crews from MI to AL and to heck with oak trees!!!!

My pool is a pond now, but I think I understand the dugga boy thing -- did some soaking to cool off and drown mozzies. No wallow tho ...

Hey Greg!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Kingd, sounds good! If we can ever get the refinery back up and running. Been on 7/12's since july, no end in sight right now! I'll have to call in dead to get a day off! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Finally got power back on last Thursday 9/18 evening. Glad my little 6500 Onan kept the refrigerators and freezer going. Only sustained limb damage and a fence blown down.
By next year, we will have a standby NG fueled generator at the house!

There are still parts of Houston without power today. Galveston is allowing some residents back on the island to stay starting this morning. The Boliver area looks like most of the homes were just washed away. Pilings and all!

Hope all of you survived!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee, I hear ya. I am a telecom/data tech for a nationwide company and it has been elbows and assh^%$# since the wind stopped. I will post some pictures when I when I get the time. This is the first weekend I have off. I get to spend it cutting 1 1/2 acres of down trees in my back yard. If anybody needs some firewood cheap let me know. Rusty I have already got the go ahead from my boss on the NG standby generator for the house. She said how come we don't already have one. Nuff said. Lee I will PM you pretty soon with my contact info.

Submariner... Go NAVY!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in Tomball, just got power back late Tuesday/sometime Wednesday!
Now I can get the septic repaired!!!
Few other minor things damaged.
NO trees through house, like several of my neighbors, Thank God for that!!!
A friend lived on Galveston, says rotting animal corpses, people walking around in a daze...says he called in mortar attack in Vietnam that didn't do as much damage!
A friend in Gulfport, MS told me Thurs. that old 90 was already flooded in places
Just remember, Ike was a Cat 2!!!!

Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote