THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A single shot for a leopard rifle ???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A single shot for a leopard rifle ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any negative thoughts about using a single shot rifle for a baited leopard hunt ? What's your thoughts ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
One lethal shot in 10 times better then poor shooting. And with a leopard accuracy is a must.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am ok with a single shot under baited conditions. My leopard rifle is a Ruger No.1 chambered .416 Rigby with a fast 300 grain.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine getting a second shot off at a leopard unless you're locked in combat with the cat. If I were going tomorrow, I would take my 9.3x74 single shot.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
No negative thoughts, planning on using my No 1 in 300 Win when I hunt leopard.

Do bring a shotgun in case there is a follow up sofa

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
None that I can think of. The likelihood of a second shot on a leopard is so slim (on bait or following up after the initial shot) that we are all basically shooting single shots regardless of how many bullets are in the gun.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

There is a very slim chance of getting a second shot if the leopard is hanging onto the tree as he dies. It is such a slim chance though that I would be very comfortable using a single shot. A good quality scope with a high end magnification of 6x at least with illuminated reticle would be a must in my opinion if I were to hunt another leopard.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see the point at all.

A bolt action is at lest as accurate as a single shot, usually more accurate, so why handicap yourself in the event you might need a second (or third) shot.

And what about the follow up? Are you going to fool around changing rifles? What if you follow up with a single shot and the leopard gets a tracker down and you miss with your first (and only) shot?

Merry Christmas.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
I don't see the point at all.

A bolt action is at lest as accurate as a single shot, usually more accurate, so why handicap yourself in the event you might need a second (or third) shot.

And what about the follow up? Are you going to fool around changing rifles? What if you follow up with a single shot and the leopard gets a tracker down and you miss with your first (and only) shot?

Merry Christmas.

A bolt action is at lest as accurate as a single shot, usually more accurate
I'll take a wild guess and say that he already has said single shot in hand and would like to use it on leopard. I would also guess that he has found it to me more than accurate enough. Keep in mind, most leopards are shot at fairly close range.

And what about the follow up? Are you going to fool around changing rifles?
Do you really expect him to use a scoped rifle chambered in a leopard cartridge(30-06, etc.) for a follow up? I would guess 95% of leopard hunters "fool around" and switch rifles in the event of a follow up. It is common to tote a shotgun or big bore for a wounded leopard.

I can imagine using a favorite deer rifle such as a 270 on a leopard, but I would want something bigger for the follow-up.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
And ya still wonder why PH's get hurt.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Frank:

Here's the perfect solution. A single shot rifle and a double barrel shot gun. They just happen to be in one unit in 12x12x9.3x74R. And, you don't have to change guns for a follow up... just remove the scope with the claw mount feature.

If an elephant walks by the blind, I reckon you can just quietly slip in a solid and shoot him in the head (for extra bait, I guess).

Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen people, you all don't know Frank, a second shot will NOT be needed. Which #1 Frank?

Merry Christmas Joyce and you too Frank! Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but single shot handguns for Leopard --

I see no downside at all. Just put the one shot where it's supposed to go.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a single shot would be just fine. You are only going to get one shot anyway. I shot mine with a 375H&H and trailed him with a 470NE.

http://i594.photobucket.com/al...oker1/IMG_0270-1.jpg

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The judge sent me a couple more pics of his drilling, & I must admit, it's the best leopard rifle that I've seen. Perfect for the first shot, & perfect for any follow up, if needed.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote