THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    An other SCI show question from a rookie.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An other SCI show question from a rookie.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am probably going to attend the show I Las Vegas I February. My first SCI show so I need some guidance.
What are the evening/dinner receptions like, mostly seasoned and distinguished SCI members patting each others backs or would a newcomer knowing no one have a good time and not feel out of place?

Any AR member dinner/hang out planed as an alternative for evening entertainment?

Thanks for your in put an guidance!

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I attended 2 years ago was pretty much crowded, dark, handing out awards, speeches and such. The food was good and the entertainment was more than acceptable. Get there early unless you reserve a table cause most, if not all, seats are taken.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Klein:

There will be 600-700 (I'm guessing. There could be a heck of a lot more) people attending. Those who have reserved tables up front in the first one-fourth of the banquet room will mostly be in formal wear on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Most of those seated farther back at the non-reserved tables will be wearing what they wore during the day at the exhibition halls.

The food has been very good in Reno in recent years, which is surprising when you consider how difficult it must be to serve that many people almost simultaneously. Don't know how it will be in Las Vegas.

There are speeches and awards each night, to be sure, along with big-name entertainers, but the focus after dinner is the auction of premium hunts, firearms and artwork.

Some of those hunts and items will sell for amazingly steep prices and it can quite entertaining when two people with fat wallets want the same thing. However, about half of everyone there will leave when the auctions start.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of John Pomazi
posted Hide Post
I am also a rookie SCI attendee this year. We will be there from Tuesday thru the following Monday. Quite a week with the RMEF taking place at the Riviera as well as it being Super Bowl Sunday. For you veterans how many days would you say it takes to see everything. We got the four day pass because we have friends coming at various times thru the week and wanted to be able to go any day we wanted. Also as far as the auctions go how does it work. I don't really want to attend any of the dinners but am curious on what some of these hunts will go for. Is the only way to attend the auctions by paying to go to the dinner events? I would think you might be able to score a hunt at a bargain price at times. Is that not true? Don't plan on bidding on anything this year but was just curious on what they generally go for. Thanks.

John Pomazi
Hunt Nation
Cell: 503 539-3836
John@hunt-nation.com

Posts: 23 | Location: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: 26 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE AUCTIONS ARE OPEN TO EVENT ATTENDEES AFTER THE DINNER AND ENTERTAINMENT HAS BEEN COMPLETED!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the "daily" auctions. If any bargins are to be had this will be the place for them. You should have received a "daily" auction guide in the mail. If you see something interesting in it, try and contact the donor and get all the details prior to the Show. The auction items go at a quick pace, so not much time to ponder much, so prior homework is a must. The beer and popcorn are good and just getting to sit for a spell is always a welcome break. The daily auctions will have a schedule posted so you can look for the particular item you are interested in and attend accordingly. Have fun, enjoy.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by John Pomazi:
I am also a rookie SCI attendee this year. We will be there from Tuesday thru the following Monday. Quite a week with the RMEF taking place at the Riviera as well as it being Super Bowl Sunday. For you veterans how many days would you say it takes to see everything. We got the four day pass because we have friends coming at various times thru the week and wanted to be able to go any day we wanted. Also as far as the auctions go how does it work. I don't really want to attend any of the dinners but am curious on what some of these hunts will go for. Is the only way to attend the auctions by paying to go to the dinner events? I would think you might be able to score a hunt at a bargain price at times. Is that not true? Don't plan on bidding on anything this year but was just curious on what they generally go for. Thanks.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what Larry said. The auctions at the banquets bring top dollar for premium hunts, artwork and firearms. The daily auctions are where bargains can be found.

If you are thinking of a South African or Namibian plains game hunt, you will be surprised at the prices some of these hunts bring.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help every one!

It sounds as if I might dare to attend a dinner, just to see what it is like. Might like it and if so I'll plan to attend more some other year I guess.

If there is an AR-gathering some time during the show days I hope to be part of it. See you there!

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, don't go to the dinner unless the entertainment is something you really want to see.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Grumulkin - They do have some pretty impressive entertainment at times. This year there is no body I really want to watch so looks like a pass.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
In my opinion, don't go to the dinner unless the entertainment is something you really want to see.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Two years ago was my first convention and it took all three days that I was there to see it all. Amazing show and a lot of good people. I am sure you will enjoy it and will be planning for the next year on your way home.

Posts: 8 | Location: Washington | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have been to 4 SCIs and 4 DSCs. I like the DSCs better, just because I feel more "at home" with the attendees. At SCI the cheapest thing in the hall is money! Don't get me wrong, it's a great show (and I'm goign again this year as I live very close to Las Vegas)it's just too "over the top" for me to be completely comfortable there. I'm not in the "Gentry" class. I work for a living like most everyone else. The way to decide? Factor all the costs to attend and then choose your poison. Just remember, If you go to Africa once, YOU WILL go again. Don't kid yourself into thinking it's a "once in a lifetime trip". I know too many that have said that and wound up eating their words. Me included (5 times now)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to be my first convention too and I am looking forward to it but still a bit apprehensive about how things work. Maybe the newbies can meet up and compare notes.

Jon

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon - great ideaa. Maybe start a thread here and other "newbies" as you say will chime in and ask some direct questions. Give it a try and see what develops. Another way would be to send PM's to some here who have obviously been to SCI and could help you out.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
This is going to be my first convention too and I am looking forward to it but still a bit apprehensive about how things work. Maybe the newbies can meet up and compare notes.

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Pomazi:

The actual RMEF show is at the Las Vegas Convention Center, not the Riviera. Members meetings etc. will be at the Riviera.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are all newbies this year at Las Vegas... even the organisers and exhibitors seem to be wondering how it is all going to work!!

Sure will be interesting!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another rookie here. You will recognize me as the guy sprinting between safari outfitter booths because I only have one day to spend there!

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jon - great ideaa. Maybe start a thread here and other "newbies" as you say will chime in and ask some direct questions. Give it a try and see what develops. Another way would be to send PM's to some here who have obviously been to SCI and could help you out.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Any first timers to SCI (such as myself) can feel free to PM me if you want to meet up. My wife is coming with me from Denver to Vegas but isn't going to the convention.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote