Find
Notify
Tools

Makris' gloves
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
Watching an episode of Wild Skies reminded me of a question I've had for a while - what are the advantages & disadvantages of hunting Africa with leather gloves? Makris' gloves have the fingers cut out. I noticed on another show that he's converted Johan Calitz to these.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antlers,

Gloves are really nice when you find yourself crawling through cactus, thorns etc. It's also very cool! Mark Sullivan wears them.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Antlers,

Gloves are really nice when you find yourself crawling through cactus, thorns etc. It's also very cool! Mark Sullivan wears them.

Mark

That was funny!!! Thanks!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I believe he has/had some skin cancer issues, so he tries to remain as covered as posible. If you got in a situation where you were shooting a lot having gloves wouldn't hurt for grabbing the barrel.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Antlers,

Mark

Mark, you will understand that I don't go anywhere around here without leather gloves - devil's club. I just wonder about using them in the kind of temps I hear about over there.

Oh, and the MS comment was funny. But I will admit I did not know that.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear them when hunting Africa as I found the backs of my hands blistered bad while holding onto the crash bar in the back of the safari car for hours a day. Makes warding off thorns much easier and the same for crawling along trying to sneak up on game.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sun and thorns. Just a light pair of goatskins. Besides, the front swivel stud on the double sometimes bites my left hand pretty hard, and the leather glove helps. I like the idea of fingerless leathers for hot weather.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry,

I made them let me ride inside with the PH!! dancing

I wear deerskin gloves a lot especially riding the HD. Cut the fingers off at the first knuckle.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
I alway carry a pair, but don't put them on unless I'm about to hurt myself with the task at hand. Kind'a like a condom, I suppose. Just don't cut that off at the first knuckle ... Big Grin

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear a pair of ropers: it's no hotter than Texas, or, St. Thomas

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear the Cabelas deerskin gloves. I am not very cool to look at, but the gloves are great for my soft hands.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark

yuck jumping

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

Mark

yuck jumping

When making safari related decisions including clothing choices just ask yourself WWMSD = What Would Mark Sullivan Do? dancing

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Antlers,

Mark

................. jumping jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like Tony's gloves are work gloves with the finger cut off.

I use the same, but keep the fingers on them. Heat is not an issue to me as I would rather have a good grip than a sweaty slippery grip. I wore the full leathers for 15 days in Cameroon (in March no less) without complaint. I tried a lighter Bob Allen shooting glove this past summer and was not pleased with them. I'll return to leather next time.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well hell, if'n mark sullivan wears them we all better get a paid dancing rotflmo

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote