New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maasialand ? for Big Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the recent concession shake-up, who would you book a hunt with if you were looking for a big buff. Say, 42 or wider.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Rungwa or Luke Samaras Safaris in Masailand or SSG Safaris at Malapati in Zimbabwe.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Rungwa Safaris has Lokisale and Lobo I believe. That might not be bad as would perhaps one of the Maswa blocks. Perhaps fuji, Mich, or one of the other TZ people will chime in.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Samaras has lost his SGC area which has been sub-leased by Adam Clemence.
So where South and East of Tarangire are concerned, chances of 42+ are quite realistic and if you are lucky, 45+ is not uncommon either. Wink

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Out of my price range but you might also want to look at the Timbavati, or Klaserie in South Africa...they pull some monsters out of there too...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Very impressed with Adam Clements. Would arrange through him in a heart beat.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Provided, however, that the closure of hunting in January, February, and March takes away some of the best time to hunt these buffalo. We were to hunt Lokisale with Harpreet next Feb/March but cancelled due our chosen time slot not being available.

One of my hunting buddies shot a 45 and a true 50 in Lokisale some years back. He was there in December and the rains arrived. One day no buffalo, the next day, thousands of buffalo.

My consolation hunt will be in Malapati and I believe I have a chance at two comparable buff there for one half of the cost.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rungwa/Harpreet Brar has Lokisale and Loibor Serrit now. Harpreet does a good job.

I shot a 45,and a pair of 44's out of there in 2011. At the time, Harpreet was running the concession, but I had booked with Adam Clements and hunted with his people. As Will says, the timing of the rains makes a big difference in these areas. I had booked before they allowed January- March hunting in Masailand, so I was there in December, and just missed the Wildebeest migration.

I was told by the PH's that Lobo is probably better for buffalo during the early part of the season, but that it is much harder to hunt and the plains game is not quite as good as Lokisale. Lion were better at Lokisale historically.

There are quite a few local hunters on the adjoining Masai Open Area, but that should not affect you - you do get to hunt there, and that provides some quota availability though.

Adam has the old Samaras block just south (I think) of Lokisale, which would be pretty much the same as Lokisale as far as what is there.

I have also been told that the Maswa block off the Serengeti that Adam has rights to now is excellent as well. I hope to get there as well one of these days.

I have my old hunt report on here somewhere from then, if you want to look at it.

Posts: 10989 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simon Rodger..Safaris De Mozambique takes some dandies every year..look on his facebook page under the same name that is maintained by Simon's son..they just posted some buff pics from the 2012 season.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second on Simon Rodgers. Harpreet must be very busy because he didn't even bother to answer my emails asking about a buffalo hunt booking.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who would answer an email from someone named Pagosawingnut??? :-)

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Harpreet twice. No doubt he has great areas in both Lokislale and Lobo.
For a really big buffalo you may also consider Johan Herman Safaris.
He hunts the Letaba Ranch and Mithimkulu that borders Kruger.
I took a 47" and 48.5" with Johan and can highly recommend his outfit.
Www.johanhermansafaris.com. Check out the bulls that he takes.
Best
Steve

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Only another nutsawingpagos Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Www.johanhermannsafaris.com. Check out the bulls that he takes.

I'll sceond this one totally! I am headed baack next month for another of those monsters and an Elephant.

My Buff last year was 43.5 inches and an old boy.

Johan is a great guy to hunt with.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Really looking at just Masialand at this point as I want to include the northern Tanz. plainsgame to the shopping list.

If Luke still had Simanjiro I wouldn't be looking. Wink

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simanjiro; probably the best place I've ever hunted; and while hopefully not, maybe the best place I ever will.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was refrenced to use Johan Herman at DSC by Johnny Viefer. I met with him and one of his return clients and wife that are going back some time soon. He showed pics of the buff he has already taken and I was very impressed to say the least. Im still looking at either going with him before my may leopard hunt or after my September ele hunt. Im not sure yet but I do feel confident he can hook me up with a big buffalo. I have yet to take a buffalo. Ive tried on a few safaris to take a buffalo but I have yet to find one I am impressed with. Hopefully Johan can show me my buff. He is also have the price of those timbivati buff so I think I will give him a shot before I go to the timbivati.

Posts: 54 | Location: NM USA | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's too bad that Luke is out of Simanjiro after 30 years or so. Hadn't heard that.

Hunted with Luke's outfit there in both 2007 & 2009 with great results. Interesting to hear that Adam is now sub-leasing there because he and his photo guide (who I was with before I hunted with Luke in '07) couldn't say enough bad things about the Samaras' concession back then.

Richard

Posts: 41 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same opinion as lavaca.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan Hermann would be a great option for a huge buff. I killed a 45" and a 44" with him a couple of years ago. I have hunted with him three times and have seen a ton of buff over 40" every time I was there. He's also a great guy. No one should worry about trophy quality of his buffalo.

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Www.johanhermannsafaris.com. Check out the bulls that he takes.

I'll sceond this one totally! I am headed baack next month for another of those monsters and an Elephant.

My Buff last year was 43.5 inches and an old boy.

Johan is a great guy to hunt with.

Could you give us a report when you get back?

Good Luck!

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken big buff at Lobo, Lokisale, and Lukes area hunting with Gerard Miller. Sometimes wet, sometimes dry. As always your PH is going to be a huge factor in your success even in a Buff rich area like masailand in the wet season.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Provided, however, that the closure of hunting in January, February, and March takes away some of the best time to hunt these buffalo. We were to hunt Lokisale with Harpreet next Feb/March but cancelled due our chosen time slot not being available.

One of my hunting buddies shot a 45 and a true 50 in Lokisale some years back. He was there in December and the rains arrived. One day no buffalo, the next day, thousands of buffalo.

My consolation hunt will be in Malapati and I believe I have a chance at two comparable buff there for one half of the cost.

Will when you going to Malapati? I am going next year

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

Will when you going to Malapati? I am going next year

End of October.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Probably anybody that would answer an email from somebody named "biebs". Would you prefer I change my name to Big, Mean, Ugly Mutha?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you prefer I change my name to Big, Mean, Ugly Mutha?

Actually that would be a pretty cool NIC---

beer

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by REMN JR:
It's too bad that Luke is out of Simanjiro after 30 years or so. Hadn't heard that.

Hunted with Luke's outfit there in both 2007 & 2009 with great results. Interesting to hear that Adam is now sub-leasing there because he and his photo guide (who I was with before I hunted with Luke in '07) couldn't say enough bad things about the Samaras' concession back then.

Funny how those thing work, my advice is not to hunt with anyone who has bad things to say about his competitors. PH's used to be gentlemen. not a guy out to make a buck

Professional Hunter
GM Danny McCallum Safaris
Executive Officer APHA

Posts: 15 | Location: Arusha, Tanzania | Registered: 30 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did a lot of business with Luke in Masailand. It's truly a shame how this all turned out. These Jan-March hunts are the last hunts they will do there. I have the last hunter of the season booked there. He hunted a 21-day 2 years ago and took a 72lb Elephant and a huge Leopard not to mention huge buff and all th e plainsgame.

Yep, those blocks really suck don't they? Maybe they made a drastic change just recently? Big Grin

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

That's better - you had me wondering Wink

Professional Hunter
GM Danny McCallum Safaris
Executive Officer APHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:

I did a lot of business with Luke in Masailand. It's truly a shame how this all turned out. These Jan-March hunts are the last hunts they will do there. I have the last hunter of the season booked there. He hunted a 21-day 2 years ago and took a 72lb Elephant and a huge Leopard not to mention huge buff and all th e plainsgame.

Yep, those blocks really suck don't they? Maybe they made a drastic change just recently? Big Grin

I'm sure months of good management is responsible for the drastic improvement. Big Grin

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote