Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would AR Use
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Folks! I will be heading over to Africa this summer and have a question. Got a M70 375H&H that will be used for plains game, big and small.

What bullet is recommended? Partition, NF, or Aframes? Which weight would be best? I was leaning towards the 270 as i can push it a little faster.

got my eyes set on zebra, wildebeast, hartabeast, and oryx.

Posts: 1 | Location: CO | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of those 3. Personally I like the 300gr class of bullet, but the 270gr is great shakes for the game you mentioned.

The Barnes is also a great bullet.

Oh, welcome to the forum!

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flip a coin. All are good bullets and for plains game you should have good results with any of them. I have always had good luck with the NP in my .300 Win, and I actually used the 180 Accubonds on PG with good results out of my .300 Win when I was over there.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had wonderful performance with the 300 gr TSX at 2600 fps from a Win M70 SS Classic this fall. Beautiful mushrooms even at point blank range.

They are all good bullets though!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Pick the bullet your rifle shoots the most accurately and doesn't have any feeding problems. All are good bullets.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes, Barnes and if that doesn't suit Barnes!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Chigger,

I would go with the 270 grain weight in the any of the bulelts you mention plus the Barnes TSX. Pick the one you/your rifle likes best, then practice a lot. Any of those bullets will do the job with flying colors, but you still need to put it in the right spot.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws but would also consider something softer.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Second the welcome to the forum.

Listen to Wink. Try out Nosler partition, Swift A-Frame, and others and see which one gives the best accuracy in your rifle. My view is use 300 grains for everything.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome CB. I used 270 gr Swift A-Frame in my M70 on my plains game hunt i RSA in May. Did an exellent job on six animals from steenbok to wildebeest.
All one shot kills.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the 375 H&H, I would consider using the following:

GS Custom HV: (www.gscustom.co.za)

North Fork: (www.northforkbullet.com)

Rhino: (www.rhinobullets.co.za)

Swift A-Frame: (www.swiftbullets.com)

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
chigger,

I used TSX 300grers at 2600fps wiht 71grs of RL-15..Shot extremely accurate in my mod 70...But shoot a premium bullet and you will not be let down...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't anyone like the 250gn projectiles for plains game.

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
300 gr X bulletts, i have shot about 20-30 head of game with 270's and they are ok and just short of 200 head of game with 300gr, the 300 is the way to go.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote