Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise on loads for the .375H&H..
 Login/Join

posted
I have a friend who has some unfenced land that adjoins the Kruger Park in RSA and when out and about either in a vehicle or on foot, he carries an open sight .375H&H for protection..

He is not a hunter nor a shooter as such, but treats the .375H&H simply as a "tool" to be used as a last possible resort..

The primary danager in the area would be from Ele, buffalo and lion, in no particular order..maybe hippo as well as his lodge is right on the river...

I don't see him changing or replacing the rifle (it belonged to his late father) so what would be the best factory load for his application?

My gut instinct is some sort of solid, but would that be a problem in a confrontation with lion or buff?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i would buy a box of remington safarie grade 300 grain a frames and some barnes solids

try www.superiourammo.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
700Nitro,

I suspect to keep things simple, he would prefer just one load...As I say, he is not a rifle nut and the rifle would be fired in anger very infrequently indeed...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Well, since he isn't hunting, just using it for self-defense. If elephant and hippo are in the equation, then I would think solids would be required.

Federal loads the Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid in factory ammo. He would want to make certain they feed in his .375, as they are a flat nosed bullet and made not feed properly in his rifle.

Hornady loads a round nose solid in their Heavy Mag series. I have no experience with them.

Since he is in RSA, maybe our RSA Members can tell us what loaded ammuniton is available in RSA.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote