Find
Notify
Tools

More CZ questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen and -women,

I've been reading through the CZ conversion/upgrade threads, and an article in a German magazine about the factory issue CZ550. I'm busy trying to find an excuse to buy one, and I'm thinking if I land this new job, that might just be the perfect excuse

The German magazine was pretty strong-opinioned about the uselessness of the straight stock in combination with open sights. You'd have to really tilt your head to line up the sights...what are your experiences with that?

How about those folding leaf sights? Somewhere I read about the fact that the first leaf is too high, resulting in shooting very high at e.g. 50 yards.

What about the set trigger...I have one on my Sauer 9.3x62, never use it, and the pull of the unset trigger is heavy-ish but clean. How does the CZ feel in that respect?

I'd like to have a barrel band put on, but I guess that is a pretty simple adjustment.

Anybody know of a source for this rifle in Canada?

In the mean time I'll day dream about caliber... I'd probably have the most use for a .375, but I already have a 9.3x62...I love the aura surronding the .416, but dread the price of fodder, and somehow I think it would be fun to have a real boomer like the 458 Lott...but I'll work that out on my own.

Thanks,

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Frans,

You will have to decide whether you want a CZ with an American straight stock (not the stock your German magazine is taking about as the American version comes with no iron sights) or one of the European stocks.

The CZ has a number of slightly different European stocks but I think that magazine was talking about the "Standard" which is still not as straight as the American. Then you have the "Hog backed" stock on the delux versions.

I bought the American in 9.3x62 a little while ago and I love it. That particular stock and recoil pad seem to manage the recoil really well; far better than the Hog back stock on my Sako. Others here like the Hog backed stock, so the best advice to try and find someone with a rifl;e and shoot it first.

The trigger on mine is "ok" but I will get it stoned/adjusted when I get a chance. For the moment I use the set trigger for load development and bench work, so I can live with an "average" normal trigger...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too dislike the American classic stock for use of iron sights. I have two CZ's with the LUX, Bavarian stock. One is .416 and the other is a .375. I glass bedded both stocks as I do with all my rifles prior to firing them. No stock splitting. The triggers are easily adjusted. As for the stocks, for a large caliber rifle, it's nice to consider you just may have to use iron sights, so the stock should allow you to use, both scope and iron sights and the LUX stock design allows that. Right now I hunting for a 9.3X62 LUX as CZ has stopped their importation into the US in that stock design.

In the States, we have little to no dangerous game, so little need for iron sight, hence the high stock combs have become popular for scope only use. Just my opinion.

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote