THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Winchester 375 H&H "Full Metal Case"

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 375 H&H "Full Metal Case"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I presume this is FMJ ammo..can't find anything on Winchester website so presumbaly it's discontinued. I have located a cache of 1000 boxes of this stuff at a good price...but is it any good in the field??

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've got some too but have never used it on any game. It's a round nose jacketed bullet. Probably a good choice on smaller stuff where you don't want the devastating effect of an expanding bullet on the skin, like an opportunity on a Steenbok when you're carrying your .373 H&H. However, these bullets bend on the big, thick stuff so you probably would want a better constructed bullet on DG.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some recovered from a Hippo skull/neck that are very bent.I have also used a few on Buffalo and never had a problem but i believe that there are definitely much better DG solids out there. Winks suggestion about what to use it on is spot on

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That stuff had a very poor reputation with most folks in the know...I have used it for plaingame, and of course it worked on those light animals but even then I have seen it bend.

If its cheap enough it might be sellable to collectors and it might make good practice ammo.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 boxes for $90.00 in February of this year to feed the rifle I got in January. It shot well with no malfunctions and groups about 2†at 100yds. Shot a pecan tree at 20yds with full penetration of about 14 inches. Bullet was not recovered. I now have 60 pieces of brass.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a cape buffalo with them this past year, no bullets made a pass thru. When they were recovered they were all prenty bent and only made decent penetration.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
Should make for good plinking if the price is right.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote