THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    416 Rigby Velocity difference solids/softs

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby Velocity difference solids/softs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
Just got back from the range where I chronographed a load I plan on using for PAC ele this year in Zim. I loaded some inexpensive Hornady softs for practice and some Barnes banded solids that I plan on using for the ele. Here's the load and the results:

Ruger Safari Magnum Rifle
416 Rigby - Federal Brass
Fed. 215 Primer
105 Grs. H4831
400 Gr. Hornady Interlock soft Avg. Vel. 2439
400 Gr. Barnes banded solid Avg. Vel. 2295

I was hoping for 2400 fps which was achieved with the Hornady softs, but the Barnes solids were on average 144 fps slower. Anyone else experience similar results. Both loads shoot very close to the same POI with the Barnes shooting very good (all shots touching) groups at 100 yds.

I could increase the powder charge for the solids to get it up to 2400 fps but recoil is already pretty stiff.

What do you more experience ele hunters think - up the charge for 2400 fps with the solids or leave well enough alone? This will be my second ele but the first with this gun and caliber.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2322 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently, I tested Nosler AB, Barnes TSX and Barnes Banded Solids in a 9.3x62. All the bullets weighed 250 grs and were loaded with the same RL15 charge in Lapua cases and shot from a 22" barrel.

Muzzle velocities were (if memory serves):
Nosler AB: 2600 fps
Barnes TSX: 2500 fps
Barnes Banded Solids: 2400 fps (approx - forget the exact vel.).

So in my tests, the Banded Solids also produced the lowest velocity. One might guess that there is a connection between chamber pressure and observed velocity....

Sighted about 2" high with the Barnes TSX, the Banded Solids were just about on at 110 yds (100m), so I decided to stay with the same powder charge for the two bullets.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my Rigby the solids shot slower but more to the point, not to the same point of impact. Another thing to consider besides speed.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote