THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What African animal is the most difficlt to hunt?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What African animal is the most difficlt to hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
I quite well know that there will never really be agreement on this, but what animal is the most difficult o hunt?

By 'hunt' I mean: Start out from base on foot with the intention of shooting just the one trophy you want, no artificial help. Just you finding, evaluation and shooting the trophy.

A trophy baboon, a really big old boy with long teeth? A trophy vervet monkey monkey, a big old boy with blue b....? A eally big kudu?

My vote is 50:50 between a queen impala and a bushpig.

A queen impala, i.e. a non-breeding female that is bigger, fatter and nicer tasting than the others. They are very scarce, only very seldom does a group have one, is very difficult to identify and you have to see the group well for a long time to be sure that there is or is not a queen amongst the lot, and then you have to get a clear shot at her from amongst the group. And she is always with a herd of many eyes to spot you.

A bushpig to be hunted on foot without dogs, lights or any other help is also quite a task. My all-time favorite animal to hunt!

But let's hear what the other hunters on this group regards as the most difficult to hunt. Not the cost due to scarcity, nor the logistics of getting up in the mountains or jungle, just the difficulty of setting out in the morning and what follows.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Serval without dogs?

Posts: 76 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
i honestly must say i think kudu.
a trophy kudu bull...they are so alert and dissappear like nothing. and you can chase one forever

anticipation of fear is worse than fear itself

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for either the serval or caracal without dogs.

Jerry Meyers Expeditions
254 Fourth of July Cr.
North Fork, ID 83466
(208) 865-2449
hunts4u@centurytel.net

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you hunt long enough, you will think one animal or another is almost impossible to shoot.

This seems to change from year to year, and area to area.

What might appear to be a very difficult animal one year, might be one of the easiest the next.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67403 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Vaal rhebuck, they are extremely wary, have exceptional eyesight, and paranoid beyond belief. Coupled to that, they live in fairly open terrain, so approch is difficult, and then you have to climb serios size mountains to get to where they live.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushpig, with dogs..............it nearly killed me chasing those howling bastards Big Grin

And I'll second Karl's vote on Vaal Rhebok.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
bongo and sitatunga, no doubt
even worse : giant forest hog

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Eland, they can walk forever.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
By 'hunt' I mean: Start out from base on foot with the intention of shooting "bagging" just the one trophy you want, no artificial help. Just you finding, evaluation and shooting bagging the trophy.

The human female. Big Grin

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisHP:

They aren't as hard to find, as they are to get rid of, and you pay trophy fee both ways!

jumping jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daytime leopard while tracking on foot should be challenging.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is, we do it with the clients in the Kalahari. It is a real thrill when you jump them and hear them roar. The trackers leave the track immediately!!

Jerry Meyers Expeditions
254 Fourth of July Cr.
North Fork, ID 83466
(208) 865-2449
hunts4u@centurytel.net

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
By 'hunt' I mean: Start out from base on foot with the intention of shooting "bagging" just the one trophy you want, no artificial help. Just you finding, evaluation and shooting bagging the trophy.

DennisHP,

Canned hunts for them, work well and once you've "killed", you don't have to put up with their bullshit cheers clap

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant - virtually impossible on my budget! rotflmo

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Right on the money MacD37.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Mac and Dennis...the story of my life. boohoo

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
The most difficult PG is the one you want but fail to get.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Eland, they can walk forever.

And to make matters worse, an Eland's definition of "walk" and my definition of "walk" are two VERY different things. Big Grin

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I understand the question, it isn't limited to PG. I'd have to agree that the most challenging to hunt on foot, without any artificial help is elephant. Antelope only, eland for the reasons mentioned above. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Poachers...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Second on the vaal rhebok. MUFASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
The one you haven't been able to take regardless of picking the best areas, best time of the season and hunting with the most talented PH. A really outstanding lion though might be at the top of the sheer difficulty list.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
By far the most difficult African animal to hunt is the notorious budgetbeast (not to be confused with the harte or wilde). Very hard to bring down the first time and often needs multiple follow ups to get it to drop. Clearly some (the most lucky) on this board take it down hard with the first go, but others have a harder time due to the very astute and sharp eyed lookout that often rides on the back... the wifebird. Not to be confused with the common harpy... though it is from the same family.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Poachers...

Mike

Big Grin thumb

One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Good one Macd37!

My hardest won trophy was a Burchell's Zebra with a bow.

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

They aren't as hard to find, as they are to get rid of, and you pay trophy fee both ways!

jumping jumping jumping

Especially for those of you that have to pay Alimony the trophy fee is never ending.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote