Find
Notify
Tools

The Tashinga Inititiative
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted
I recently completed my first safari in Africa. The safari was conducted in the Lower Zambezi Valley. During the safari, my PH and I stopped at the National Park's Mkanga field station to visit with the commanding officer. While my PH visited with the officer, I noticed a plaque (located on their office building) referencing a project currently being funded and managed by The Tashinga Initiative Foundation. The 501(c)3 approved Foundation is a NGO and is funded entirely by donations and is proactively assisting the onsite Park Rangers and their families. The Foundation has provided solar generated water systems, solar generated energy, communication equipment (including handheld radios and repeaters), anti-poaching training, improved accomodations for the onsite rangers and their families, etc. Without the funding provided by the Foundation, the Park Ranger's anti-poaching assignments would be much more difficult and a lot less effective. I strongly encourage everyone to visit the Foundation's website to obtain a much better understanding of their objectives, goals, and accomplishments!

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
The Tashinga Initiative is one of the few positive glimmers in a land besieged by negativity. Well worth supporting - proactive, productive. Behind it all is Lynne Taylor and I know Andries Scholtz has also been involved. I cannot tell you what they are doing now but we can be sure they are doing something, for I have witnessed firsthand what they have done in Matusadona national park. I could not believe it when I passed through there, a couple years back now. It was like chalk and cheese when compared to other parks/safari areas etc. The rangers are motivated, they actually go on patrols, they arrest and shoot poachers, they are on parade, smartly turned out, saluting the warden at 6am... Cajun has covered what the Initiative is doing for the rangers, and I can vouch for what a difference it makes. I spent some time in Matusadona, and came away thinking if only every park was moving in that direction...I am a member of the Tashinga Initiative's Facebook group and have had brief comms with Lynne over the years, so am sure I will be able to get some more details of their activities in recent times/contact details etc..

It's amazing how one comes across this type of operation/person here and there, when wandering about Zim. Inspirational people doing good deeds in a country most have long since given up on. The last of the few. Lynne Taylor and Andries Scholtz, Theresa Warth in the Chiredzi conservancy, the Vardens in Mavuradona...Fine folk all. And, of course, there are the last of the few hunting (not 'hunting') operators, who still strive, against unimaginable odds, to try and do things properly. I salute them all. Hang in there friends. Zim won't be rebuilt in a day, but when we do truly start rebuilding you are needed as foundation.

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I Hope you had a great hunt Cajun, welcome to AR. Smiler Different first post - thoughtful, thanks.

David

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an excellent program, the rangers sound confident and motivated as a result.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Had never heard of either. Good program sounds like

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
David, thanks for sharing your observations with us. As per my recent correspondance with Lynn Taylor, The Tashinga Initiative's founder and director, the immediate need at the Mkanga field station (Chewore area) is for the drilling of a borehole sight (water well) identified through a water survey conducted a year ago. Apparently, all of the solar materials for the water installation have been acquired. Obtaining safe drinking water is a daily battle for the onsite wildlife rangers and their families. Unless the rangers are provided with all of their basic needs such as adequate living accomodations, communications, equipment, etc., they cannot accomplish their task protecting the Zambezi Valley's wildlife from the organized poachers. Maybe other members can share their observations and thoughts as well.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info & pictures on their Facebook page.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cajun, thanks for the update. We had some discussion here regarding the Initiative three years ago, and I had forgotten:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...121002101#1121002101

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Cajun, sorry I didn't see your last response till now...

Ja, basically it's a morale boost for the rangers on the ground. As any of you who have hunted Zim will know, the vast majority of parks rangers earn next to nothing and have next to nothing. Hard to motivate any team with so little, and that's where the Tashinga Initiative has come in. This is not one of those fly by night affairs (like the Jimmy campaign for the Save conservancy, for example), the Tashinga Initiative has been around for a while, has achieved a great deal and continues to achieve. As I said, the difference they are making on the ground is an eye opener.

I have been in touch with Lynne and she is preparing an updated overview for AR members so will post it ASAP.

David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what percentage of Tashinga's budget comes from hunting outfitters?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cajun
I got a chance to spend a little time with Lynn Taylor while I was in the Chewore a week ago. Sounds like mostly donations and a lot of volunteer labor to get things running. Great idea and one hell of a nice lady!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Cajun
I got a chance to spend a little time with Lynn Taylor while I was in the Chewore a week ago. Sounds like mostly donations and a lot of volunteer labor to get things running. Great idea and one hell of a nice lady!

Greetings Pagosawingnut,

I agree with your observations regarding Ms. Lynne and The Tashinga Initiative. The Tashinga Initiative (TTI) is doing a great job of supporting the ongoing conservation efforts within the Lower Zambezi Valley. TTI, through donations and volunteer labor, has improved the
quality of life for the game rangers and their families. Initiatives have included the drilling of boreholes, installation of solar powered lighting, installation of VSAT, planting of vegetable gardens, distribution of books to the rangers' school aged children, furniture for the local schools, etc.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF