New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did not plan on this
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I was not going to go to Africa this year because of economic issues. One of the partners on the chinese side of my venture went bankrupt so have to come up with a lot more money than planned. Ouch. Then I get a phone call from a gentleman who only knows me from the pharmacy where I work my real job.

" Mike, I know you hunt in Africa a lot. I lost my wife this year. I want to go and hunt in Africa before I die. Can I go with you? "

I thought about it for all of 30 seconds and said sure. I guess it is meant to be. The guy is not only a first timer but in pretty bad health. I may have bitten off more than I can handle but will make sure everything is in place. Especially all the appropriate insurance.
What could I say though? I just couldnt refuse a request like that. Besides do I ever really need an excuse to go back again? I have contacted a couple of PH's I know and explained the situation. All are willing to handle this. One of the guys took care of our SCI chapters humanitarian hunts for disabled veterans a couple of years so I have no doubts they can handle a high maintenance hunt like this. My only decisions are where and with who. I used to always tell first timers to go to RSA but now am more inclined to go to Namibia. I am trying to decide if this is the best hunt for this gent. A lot of walking is out so mostly blind hunting maybe even a few shots from the bakkie although it goes against my normal ideals. Also I have to consider what is available that I want to hunt as well. Looking at Oct if I can coordinate everything. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
You are doing the right thing.

Frankly, I think SA would be better for the gentleman going with you.

I know you have been to SA previously so Namibia would probably be more interesting to you.

Thats a hard one.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fly to Germany than to Windhock,break up the travel if at all possible. He will arrive in better shape that way.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike,

My hat goes off to you... I would lean to Natal for the mountains and terrain.. Some of areas will give him not much over 100yd shots...
Also much closer to excellent health care...

The best,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My real response would sound too harsh or realistic, take your choice, so I'll keep quiet, but if you're going to do this, I'd suggest South Africa for the availability of good healthcare and the number of species and the farther South the better for cool temps in October. I hope he's picking up your tab or at least some significant portion of it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will be a special hunt for both of you. What animals/terrain does your friend dream about? That's where I'd start. All the best.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My God, given the chance of doing something like this for a fellow human expecially a fellow hunter should be payment enough. I am sure this will be a great experience for both. I agree with Retreever Natal is a wonderful area to hunt. I did my first safari there and enjoyed every minute of my adventure. You don't have to be in the bush miles from anywhere to have a good time in Africa. I will ba making my third hunt in Natal in Oct before going to the wilds of Zim. and I am sure I will have a great time in each location. Mind set is everything. thumb

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have considered RSA for all the reasons listed above by all. Ihave also considered Namibia for the other reasons. To add to the decision the ph who handled all the disabled vets for us is Namibian. Kobus did a wonderfull job for us including a couple of guys who were double amputees. I am torn between him and 2 others in RSA who also did well. I am just trying to make this the best possible trip for this guy as possible. My own preferences will take a back seat. I figure this will litterally be a once in a lifetime hunt. And yes I am afraid of making a bad choice. Using you guys as a sounding board helps me keep the emotion out of it. Gatogordo pm me if you dont want to say something publucally that might be misconstrued always happy to hear your take on it. Last, no he isnt picking up my tab nor would I expect him to.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having only been to Namibia, once once so far, and after reading about all the horror stories about traveling in and out of Joberg, I'd go w/ Namibia since the airport is sooo much easier.

Of course the main thing is what animals does the old gentlemen want to shoot?

I'd also make sure he "has all his affairs in order" before he leaves. What about Power of Attorney etc for you while he's there. Does he have a Living Will and a DNR? And worst of all, if he dies "on the 'veld", what are his wishes? Though questions, but they need to be answered.

Some one signs all their posts w/their own quote about "dying happy after smelling the smoke of Africa and see the elephants". Maybe this is a lifetime dream and would be continent to die there.

Hope all this isn't too much doom and gloom for everyone, just trying to be realistic.

Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of that is being addressed. Thanks for mentioning it though. All of you guys will help me not forget anything. I am not used to having be reponsible for someone else and it changes the equation a bit.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Go and ask your friend, what would you like to hunt and how far can you shoot comfortably...
Then make a choice...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He dosnt care what he hunts. I find that to be the best attitude and allow him to take what comes. He has been mmostly a shotgun and slug deerhunter in recent years so I would like to keep shots between 100 to 200 yards. Obviously closer is better. We talked about back up shots from the ph and myself and he has no problem with that if it prevents a lost animal. Since I figure he will be mostly blind hunting regardless of where we go I think it should be ok and no problem anyway. Still always something to consider. I need to get him to the range a couple times not only for some practice but to adequately judge his ability.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggest that since he is primarily a shotgun hunter, determine what rifle he will use and have him shoot it as much as possible prior to leaving.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will do that as well. I am considering using the ph;s rifles so will have to see what is available. Then he can practice with mine in whatever cal. to get some range time. I decided that it dosnt make sense to haul guns on a trip like this. Les hasslles showing up like a tourist. I figure he will either use a 7 x 57 or a 30.06. No sense taking anything larger for a hunt like this unless something changes. also just to clarify something said earlier the gent is not a friend per say but more of an aquantinance. My guys I regularly hunt with all know ech others routines and capabilities so well they needs to be little communication.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Natal sounds like a good place to take your buddy. He could hunt the thick riverine areas for nyala, red duiker, bushbuck, bushpig, suni, common duiker and possibly blue duiker, etc. plus there should be good numbers of impala, warthog, kudu, and reedbuck. Plenty of targets for someone with limited mobility.

Plus, if you're interested I hunted with one of only two white Zulu speaking M.D.s near Hluhluwe, just in case you're concerned about health.

Regardless of where you choose, you're doing the right thing!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike.

Have you thought about hunting in the Waterberg in Limpopo, one of the many excellent outfitters near Warmbaths or Nysltroom will be able to accomodate such a hunt. Plus the best hospitals in SA are in Johannesburg plus if the pawpaw hits the fan you are close to Johannesburg, not even 200 km.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd vote for natal too - if he's really into birdhunting don't forget a scattergun, there's great bird hunts there. regardless this being the first trip wherever you decide it will blow his mind.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you say he's been a bird hunter, make sure there's wingshooting wherever ya'll decide to go.

We killed quite a few animals, all after lunch, and the PH asked if we minded going in early as the staff would be up most of the night taking care of what we already killed. We didn't mind at all...had a snack, walked down to a pan near the lodge and blasted away!
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well as usuall the outpouring of knowledge and opportunity from AR has been great. In addition to the posts I have several pms offering me hunts at extremely good rates. I know and or have hunted with all of these folks who made offers at one time or another so there is no doubt of character so I would not hesitate to hunt with any of them. The deals are extremely good as well, much better than the norm. In fact there were 3 offers in particular I would have jumped at had I not already given my word to Kobus Hornibal of Thirstland Safaris. Kobus was certainly not the cheapest on his rates but not too far out of line and when in country we have the use of his plane for whatever we want. The couple thousand more with him is well paid back in that regard. It also offers us great opportunity to hunt different areas depending on what is available where. Do some extra hunting with the bushman then perhaps zip over to the skeleton coast for a day or two. Still the other offers are tempting as well. I drigress though. The hunt is on and I am taking Mr Wolf to Africa. I figure 14 days will be about all he can handle his first time. But I want there to be plenty of time to do anything he wants. plus it is enough time for me to perhaps take a leopard and or a cheeta. Yes I know I cant bring the cheeta home to the states, neither a black faced impala either but both are on my want list.Im sure my list will change many times depending on what is left on quota so my list is very fluid. The gent I am taking with me will do pretty much a first timers package wwith a few add ons im sure.
Called Gracy travel today and tickets will be finalized Mon either delta or united to frankfort then air Namibia on in to windhoek. short of major catstrophe looks like its a go. I must admit Larrys enthusiasm is infectious. Even if I cant go backto my first hunt in africa I can experience some of it throuh him and even I am getting excited about this. Larry must call me 3 times a week with questions. He is like a little kid the night before Christmas, all geeked up. It is worth it to see this alone.It is like I can see it all through his eyes and am enlived by it. What I thought would be the tedious parts are even giving me pleasure in knowing he will have a great time. My thanks to all and please keep the suggestions coming.
Mike

Happiness is a warm gun