New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI or DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for opions on which club is better, SCI or DSC. Which one provides more information to it's members on African hunting?

Got'er done

Posts: 40 | Location: Middleburg, Fl. | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
SCI is larger itself, and its Convention will draw more outfitters than DSC's does. SCI also runs a hunt report service that members can tap into. SCI publishes record books that show you how many and what size trophies are being entered.

There are active SCI chapters in Florida that might help you too.

There isn't any reason not to use both.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Tell me if I'm wrong, is't DSC a chapter of SCI bewildered

Join SCI and be a chapter member of DSC

As for the convention, I've never been to DSC but I do know SCI in Reno is the best. I do plan to go to DSC convention to see what that's all about

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The Dallas Safari Club started as a chapter of SCI. It broke away and was formed when a few of the members were tired of sending their dues into SCI national and not having a say so as to where the $ went.

They said, we are a big chapter, lets form our own club and have 100% controll over the $.

They did and now they are the second largest Safari Club in the US second only to SCI.

They are both good oranizations, DSC is much more personal. I can pick up the phone and call them and they know who I am and are much easier to deal with than SCI.

SCI is a lot bigger and they have their advantages as well. Bigger convention, more exposure if you choose to advertise with them.

I would venture a guess that 99% of the DSC members are SCI members as well. Just a guess.

There is a DFW chapter of SCI, it is not very big because of the driving force of the DSC. DSC has no affiliation with SCI.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
Tell me if I'm wrong, is't DSC a chapter of SCI bewildered

Join SCI and be a chapter member of DSC

As for the convention, I've never been to DSC but I do know SCI in Reno is the best. I do plan to go to DSC convention to see what that's all about

In this case you are wrong. SCI and DSC are two completely differently organizations. Many years ago there was some political infighting and DSC was formed. Most of the memebers had been SCI members at that time. Now many members are both SCI and DSC members but they are two distinct organizations. Both organizations are are good. DSC is more regional than SCI and is mainly limited to Texas as far as events although it has members from all over. SCI on the other hand has chapters in most every state and within driving distance of your local. Like any large organizations both have their problems at times, but they are both top notch organizations. No reason not to belong to both. If you need help finding a local SCI chapter someone here will know where the closest one is. DSC is obviously in Dallas.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been a life member of both for about a year now. I get info from both, its like getting two different looks at things. I have never gotten duplication of info from either, just two times the good info. I would recommend joining both...........JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
See that, you learn something new every day! I wasn't aware that DSC was on it's own, thank you for enlighting me on this! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Just to further the confusion, I think there is also a totally seperate Houston Safari Club.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cable 68...you are right...there is a Houston Safari Club and it too broke away from the national org. at the same time DSC broke away. Houston just never grew to the power house that DSC did but they are a good group.
Now...there is now a local chapt of Safari Club International in both the Dallas and Houston areas but as someone else pointed out...they are no where near as large a group as DSC and HSC.
There were many other SCI chapts. that broke out years ago when all the "unhappyness" took place but the majority of them re-joined the International...us hard headed Texans just went our way and do our thing as usual.
I too, like many of you, a member of both conservation groups (but if push comes to shove...I am DSC thru and thru!)

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I have been a member of SCI for a few years now and damn if I can figure out how to get hunt reports from them besides the few that they list in their magazine. Anyone know where on the web this can be had? I do have a membership # and password. Thanks.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
T.A.

Welcome to the Forum and would welcome you into the Houston Safari Club. As noted above, we are not as large as the DSC, but it is a good group and we have a great convention every year in The Woodlands.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G L Krause
Go to for SCI hunt reports

http://www.safariclub.org/static/index.cfm?contentID=144

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9447 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
T.A.: I'm just up the road from you in Orange Park and I am also a member of the n.W. Florida Chapeter of SCI, which is rather large. If you'd like, sned me a PM or email and we can talk on the phone or just visit! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7147 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Maybe this should be a poll (I don't know how to do that), but why does one join either? I have to admit that after joining the Navy and getting a tour or two of northern South Viet Nam I'm not much of a "joiner" any more. Just curious.

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by almostacowboy:
Maybe this should be a poll (I don't know how to do that), but why does one join either? I have to admit that after joining the Navy and getting a tour or two of northern South Viet Nam I'm not much of a "joiner" any more. Just curious.

Dave

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Just going hunting and talking on Boards does nothing to guarantee our hunting heritage, in Africa or anywhere else in the world.

Grey Thornton once asked "What did you do today to preserve hunting?" A very good question.

The world revolves around politics and you must add your voice to the choir to be heard.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI all the way.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Cable 68...you are right...there is a Houston Safari Club and it too broke away from the national org. at the same time DSC broke away. Houston just never grew to the power house that DSC did but they are a good group.
Now...there is now a local chapt of Safari Club International in both the Dallas and Houston areas but as someone else pointed out...they are no where near as large a group as DSC and HSC.
There were many other SCI chapts. that broke out years ago when all the "unhappyness" took place but the majority of them re-joined the International...us hard headed Texans just went our way and do our thing as usual.
I too, like many of you, a member of both conservation groups (but if push comes to shove...I am DSC thru and thru!)

Houston Safari Club
http://www.houstonsafariclub.org/

Dallas Safari Club
http://www.biggame.org/

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
One plus that the SCI show has is that the density of:

black leather pants, leoprard print tops, silicon, and the age disparity between men and women is the highest on the planet

the SCI look...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10124 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
One plus that the SCI show has is that the density of:

black leather pants, leoprard print tops, silicon, and the age disparity between men and women is the highest on the planet

And I wouldn't want it any other way. Wink Last year I had trouble getting past the lobby.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Join them both and decide for yourself.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

you make that sound like less than a highlight.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Not at all...I am a big fan of leopard print and leather.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10124 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
quote:
Originally posted by almostacowboy:

Dave

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Just going hunting and talking on Boards does nothing to guarantee our hunting heritage, in Africa or anywhere else in the world.

Grey Thornton once asked "What did you do today to preserve hunting?" A very good question.

The world revolves around politics and you must add your voice to the choir to be heard.

Here, here.

Guys that hunt or own a gun and don't pay up via the NRA, SCI, and/or others as appropriate are just ... well, you know.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19348 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee, I have been to Reno and Dallas and the both have their share of leopard print , leather pants and silicon and it didn't bother me one bit! Big Grin dancing

Heading back to Dallas next week for another viewing. clap beer

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've been a member of SCI almost since it's inception, and have never been to one of the SCI conventions, and I don't think that will change. For what I would spend to attend the SCI, I could go on a nice bear hunt in Canada. I have never missed a DSC convention, and I can attend eveything they have at the DSC for all four days, and attend the DRSS get together/hunt down at 4K ranch at Brady after for less that the gate fee at SCI.

Both have thier place, and both do good for hunters world wide, but IMO, SCI is a little too much about the snob factor for my taste!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote