New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with this antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Ph the other day said that I should take an animal called Grice bok or grays buck I did'nt understand what it was . Said it was from South Africa lower part easten Cape I believe.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Cape grysbok or grysbuck is a small antelope living in the thicker bush of the southern Eastern Cape.
Unfortunately about the only way to bag one is to spotlight it, which is quite legal and the only antelope for which this is condoned. Makes a very pretty mount.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
STEINBOK/STEENBOK

Raphiceros campestris
RW Minimum..RW Record..RW Measurement... SCI Minimum.. SCI Record..SCI Measurement Method
.......4 1/2"...............71/2"................ 7....................... 8".................. 13"................ 1

Thanks for that Steve,

I guess the 5 1/8" - 5" Steenbok that I shot in Namibia in 2008 is a toad!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
No mate, it's a steinbok..... albeit a fuckin' big one! thumb jumping

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Blazer93,
Look in the Photo Album Section. There is a Grysbok thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
blaser93

Any grysbok is a great trophy. If you can take one in daylight you've done something. It took me about 10 year to get the Sharpe's variety found in alot of southern Africa even though I've hunted where they were quite common. I can only imagine the Cape species as being equally as difficult. Good luck!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Cape grysbok. Like Mark said, any grysbok is a real trophy and, in my experience, they are a well earned trophy. Here's a Sharpes Grysbok that I took a few years ago in Zimbabwe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ph was in town last we and we had a sit down . I am going after the small cats some with dogs and the small antelope. Red ,Blue,Diker , steen bok , Klipspringer ,
now Grysbok if I am lucky. there is alot of others . Plus 2 pigs , that will give me pigs of the world for SCI. thanks for the finding of the pictures I leave in August.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
blaser93, so you are one of those record book types, you should be ashamed of yourself! Big Grin
Seriously I am sure you will have a great time, I would go to Natal for the Red. I need my Suni to have the (what I call) tiny 10 of southern Africa. Red, Blue and Grey Duikers, Steenbok, Orbi, Cape and Sharpes Grysboks, Klipspringer Damaraland Dik-Dik abd the elusive Suni. The Sharpes taken in Zim and the Dik-Dik in Namabia.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know I score for SCI but , I have never entered any of my Animals. The Only animal that I have enter was my Mountain Goat into Boone and Crocket. This is for me that says I did it
I could enter them but I just don't.
I also was looking into suni and Orbi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you wnt your Suni in RSA it is Natal, but you can get them in Moz., but very expensive if only looking for Suni.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote