Notify
Tools

Nickel Plated 458WM Brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Gents,

I don't post here much, but I do read this forum quite a bit. Anyhow, I saw a post on the Alaska Hunting Forum where somebody up here was looking for nickel plated brass for a 458 Win Mag.

Now I know there a various opinions on the virtues, or lack of virtues, when it comes to nickel plated brass. But, given the hunting conditions here in S.E. Alaska I can see the advantage this type of brass can have over normal 'brass' brass.

I did a Yahoo search, checking out places like Huntingtons, etc. yet could not find any nickel plated brass. Do you folks know of any sources for this stuff?

Thanks!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
remington makes it i have some nickle 375 h&h brass my buddy has 300 nickle 458 rem brass

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I like about nickle brass is I can load solids in nickle and softs in brass and they are colored coded, handy on Buffalo.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Quote:

What I like about nickle brass is I can load solids in nickle and softs in brass and they are colored coded, handy on Buffalo.

Ray, sometimes your ideas are so good that you scare me!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Ray, that is a good idea, for sure! In Alaska I use nothing else in my 375 H&H. Nickel plated brass is the most weather resistant brass made. It is also the slickest extracting brass in hot climates. I just wish I could get it for some of the NE rounds for double rifles,other than 470NE. I'm waiting for Federal to start loading 9.3X74R with nickel plated brass, and both soft, and solids!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, for letting me know it's out there. Still I've done the search again and came up emtpy.

Perhaps it's only available in loaded ammo?

I was hoping to neck it down for my 416 Taylor, so I certainly don't need 458WM ammo.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can get it in unloaded brass but only 1000+ at a time its better just to buy a few boxes of factory fire them off then keep the brass or ask friends that have the caliber that do not reload to give you there brass.

i and 3 friends of mine went in one 1000 peices of nickle plated 375 h&h brass so i have had a bit of exp getting it
call remington and see what they say i got my brass 2 years ago.

so things might have changed its defintly worth checking out.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, try www.blue-star-inc.com

I know they had 338 Win nickle brass but I dunno if a guy could neck nickle brass up to 416.

Anyways, I think they have some connections at the Remington Ammo plant in Lonoke AR. If anyone knows about it they do.

Good luck, Joe

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote