Find
Notify
Tools

elephant ivory knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
Anyone knows where to buy a small piece of legal ele ivory to a knife project ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Cut a piece of your own. Smiler

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
hilbily tanken slog mig

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Try Booze Chaltin. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Anton: Get on Ebay. Look up Mammoth Ivory. I think it is legal to sell in many forms.....including 'blanks' that knife handles could be made of.
Walrus, Elephant, and the like are illegal, but foxssilized mammoth ivory is not......I think. Let me know what you find out!
Or buy somekind of legalized scrimshawed ivory thingy.....like a legalized scrimshawed ivory tusk and have at it. It will cost a small fortune - just according how much you want an ivory handled knife.

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
You should be able to get a "pick up" piece of suitable size from one of your PH's.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Carlton Evans, the knife maker, might have pieces for sale. He's doing a new knife for me with scrimshawed elephant ivory. Contact him through his website. He's located in Texas. I'd personally stay away from bringing any elephant ivory into the states from one of your PH's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anton,

Why don't you go for Hippo ivory instead? It is far more resilient due to the tighter grain which IMO is also a prettier design due to the "marbling" of the grain; elephant ivory is wider grained and easier/softer to carve - no CITES required for Hippo.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Can you get warthog or any pig ivory of the right size? I understand that this will not darken and stays white for ever.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11234 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Anton,

Why don't you go for Hippo ivory instead? It is far more resilient due to the tighter grain which IMO is also a prettier design due to the "marbling" of the grain; elephant ivory is wider grained and easier/softer to carve - no CITES required for Hippo.

I think I had to get a CITES permit for Hippo ivory once? I also considered it for a knife handle but was worried that it might be too brittle and increase the chance of it spiting or cracking .
Any input on this?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I built a few knives on fossilized mammoth ivory. You can get it in several colors.

The piece I bought was of nice contrast and made a nice match for the spalted birch I used with it.

If I can find a photo I'll upload it.

I don't have a forge so I don't consider myself to be a knife maker. More of an assembler.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Top knife has Mammoth Ivory;

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fujotupu:
Anton,
? I also considered it for a knife handle but was worried that it might be too brittle and increase the chance of it spiting or cracking .
Any input on this?

Heard that also about hippo ivory