New
Find
Notify
Tools

After The Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, you just got back after a fantastic hunting safari in Africa.

You had a wonderful time. You, the PH, and his crew hunted hard, and you got respectful trophies for every animal you wanted.

Now comes the greatest challenge - waiting. Your PH has dropped your trophies off to have them "shipped and dipped". You may have elected to get them mounted in Africa, or shipped to your favorite Taxidermist.

In either case, you are in for a long wait. How long?

In my case, it took 10 months and almost $3000.00 USD to get a single buff skull and cape shipped to Jonas Bros in Denver.

Rather of a surprise on my end. It had been 12 years since my last safari, and things moved much faster and much cheaper back then.

For less than $1000.00 I had a buff skull, cape, and two pair of elephant tusks shipped from the same location (Bulawayo) to Jonas back in 2003. It took about 4 months.

Why the big delay and price increase?

Well, part of the delay (and price increase) is due to increased bureaucratic delays, both in Africa and the USA for exporting and importing the trophies.

Some of it might be due to increased volume, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

In my case, the shipment spent over a month in the USA, first on a USDA hold in Houston, and then on a Customs hold in Denver.

The clearing charges were way up over $750.00.

It seems that the safari business is still booming though.

Yesterday I went to Jonas to personally inspect my shipment. There must have been 30 or more buff skulls and capes awaiting mounting. (One was a 40" buff with a really nice boss - my dream buff).

There were also large piles of plains game awaiting to be mounting.

Jonas tries to ensure every mount is ready within 6 months, but the Admin lady told me, that there was a big backlog and delay in getting the hides tanned (which they outsource).

So I expect it will be at least 7 or 8 more months before my shoulder mount is ready.

So it will be almost two years between the time I killed my buffalo and I have the finished mount in my den.

Anyone going on Safari should be mentally (and fiscally) prepared for the long wait and expense.

I guess that is just the way it goes now.

I sincerely wish, the rest of the Safari industry was as efficient and cost-effective as the Safari Outfitters and PHs.

Perhaps it is time, to just hunt the animals and no longer bring back any trophies. Then you should be able to squeeze in another Safari or two, where you get a much better value for your money IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

Well, part of the delay (and price increase) is due to increased bureaucratic delays, both in Africa and the USA for exporting and importing the trophies.

Some of it might be due to increased volume, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

In my case, the shipment spent over a month in the USA, first on a USDA hold in Houston, and then on a Customs hold in Denver.

BH63

I have never experienced anything like this (except for my last New Zealand hunt). Did you use a clearing agent?

I just received my crate from last year's Safari. It left RSA, cleared through Atlanta, and was out of LAX and delivered in California only 4 days from when it left Africa. I was very impressed with the speed of the whole process. I also used Coppersmith as a clearing agent, so maybe this helped.

My father got his trophies in 3 days (Joberg to San Francisco) last year using Delta and Coppersmith.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno but 20+ years ago it took me 18 months to get one shipment in. i've had stuff lost, misplaced substituted etc. so there's nothing much new here - except the $$$$

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another reason to go hunting at least once every year. That way you will always have at least one shipment every year to look forward to. I have used Safari Specialty Importers several times, and have always been happy with their efficiency and their pricing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps it is time, to just hunt the animals and no longer bring back any trophies. Then you should be able to squeeze in another Safari or two, where you get a much better value for your money IMO.

That is why I have gone to non-trophy, non-exportable hunts. I don't bring anything back but memories, plus the hunts are a quarter of the price of trophy hunts. For the price of two mounts, you can hire someone to video the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Fuck taxidermy, ship back skulls or just forget the whole process.

You do a big once in a lifetime 30 day Tanzania or Ethiopia safari, yes I can see doing taxidermy on the lot.

A trip that you are going to make 10 times. Save the taxidermy and go 20 times.

My brother in law is a taxidermist, and he's getting to be a lot better, to the point that I'd give him a top end elk head or damn near any north american non-predatory animal.

Still, the cost of taxidermy does nothing to add to the experience. It is just a huge cost, that you will end up regretting if the quality sucks.

I can go shoot 6-10 trophy animals in Africa for $7000 door to door from here in Europe. Maybe add another $1000-1800 depending on where you live for anywhere else int he world.

Taxidermy cost for shoulder mounts will be about:

Kudu $1200
Oryx $850
zebra rug $1000 flat skin
Baboon rug head mounted $850
spring bok shoulder $600
impala shoulder $600
red hartbeest $700

Plus the $2000-3500 you spent to get it to your taxidermist.

Or discount everything 20-40% and pay $3500-5500 to ship it to your house. If you are using a South African or Namibia based taxi.

Or ship a box of skulls back and clean them up yourself and hang them on the wall.

Maybe 850-$1800 to get that box of skulls home, and another 150-300 in cleaning them up and putting them on some nice wood plaques.

Doesn't take much to spend another $7500 out the door to stuff and put it on the wall if not more.

I am not against taxidermist, for a leopard or a lion they are a necessary evil.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ever ship anything else back home, I will have it sent to me (not the Taxidermist). Hopefully I can avoid the $753.16 clearing charges on my last shipment (see Clearing Charges Thread).

I love all my shoulder mounts (deer, elk, buffaloes) and my bear rug and ellie ivory. and I don't mind paying $1800.00 for a buff shoulder mount, but it does stick in my craw to have to pay $3 grand just to ship a crate weighing about 125 lbs or so from Bulawayo to Denver.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I ever ship anything else back home, I will have it sent to me (not the Taxidermist). Hopefully I can avoid the $753.16 clearing charges on my last shipment

I have a crate inbound to DFW from Zim (left about 6 hours ago)to arrive 8/3 containing a buffalo skull, hyena skull and hide and weighs 49 kg.I'll be clearing the crate myself, total freight, including truck freight from Bulawayo to Joburg, less than $1400.00. Not too bad.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I too have reached the point where I am no longer looking at trophies beyond the what I already have.

Excepting maybe a Gemsbok or Sable, I already have two walls in my dining room laid out with the trophies I want. The memories are great and I am reminded consistently of what a great adventure the two safari's I've been on have been.

IF and WHEN I go again, It's going to be a lot of pictures and maybe a skull or two. I'd much rather hunt more and take pictures.

Of course, it's easy to say that now that I have a couple walls filled.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
If I ever ship anything else back home, I will have it sent to me (not the Taxidermist). Hopefully I can avoid the $753.16 clearing charges on my last shipment

I have a crate inbound to DFW from Zim (left about 6 hours ago)to arrive 8/3 containing a buffalo skull, hyena skull and hide and weighs 49 kg.I'll be clearing the crate myself, total freight, including truck freight from Bulawayo to Joburg, less than $1400.00. Not too bad.

You got a better deal than me. It cost me a tad under $2k to get the buff skull/hide shipped from Bulawayo to Denver. It cost $1k just for shipping and dipping from Bulawayo to Jo'burg, and another $1k from Jo'burg to Denver.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You got a better deal than me. It cost me a tad under $2k to get the buff skull/hide shipped from Bulawayo to Denver. It cost $1k just for shipping and dipping from Bulawayo to Jo'burg, and another $1k from Jo'burg to Denver.

Maybe your buffalo was bigger than mine?

Difference is the Bulawayo to Joburg...mine was only about $375.00 and over $200.00 of that was "fees". Joburg to US about the same. Maybe the difference in carriers, mine went Bulawayo to Joburg via truck.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^

Interesting I paid $507.00 to one company for dipping and packing. I was then billed another $487.00 from another company for transit by truck to Jo'burg.

I then was hit up for $907.01 by yet a third company for final air transport to Denver.

I am curious what company did you use for shipping and dipping?

Thanks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used TCI, Trophy Consultants International.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
That's the outfit I used for the dipping and packing, but then I was handed off to Maple Freight, for the shipment to Jo'burg, and then Spherical Freight for the final hop to the USA.

I would not be surprised if you wind up getting another invoice.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Its gotten out of hand and not only africa. Had a red deer skull and mouflon sent from spain last winter and it cost me more than the hunt! For real. Ive completely stopped any trophy shipping on my africa hunts and hire a cameraman instead. Memories on film and no shipping fees!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i dunno but 20+ years ago it took me 18 months to get one shipment in. i've had stuff lost, misplaced substituted etc. so there's nothing much new here - except the $$$$

I have paid for a shipment from Namibia and never received it. No one knows what happened to it.

Same thing in Europe.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Ouch!

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me taxidermy is a total waste of money.

Has minimal resale value and the financial hoops to get stuff on the wall is a major irritation to me.

I have a lion I will eventually mount. I have stuff lying in Botswana from 2013 that I will combine with stuff from this year. Try to get most of it done there.

I just got a axis euro mounted and some pillows made from the hide. I would never pay what I did to ever buy something like that in the open market. Why then did I mount it - stupid decision on my part.

I will mount fish trophies (always sell them to restaurants in florida) or buy fish art - metal/wood.

I think buying good metal, stone or wood animal art is a much better investment than taxidermy.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I took advantage of the last two years allowed by the IRS to donate mounts. Got rid of them all. Now, it is European mounts or just skulls or just antlers/horns. A few skins for rugs or throws. It's less expensive, much quicker turnaround, takes up less room, and, for me personally, with no family to leave anything to, why bother? My goal is to spend and make memories until I die, accumulate as little as possible, and hopefully my blood pressure and bank balance will hit zero on the same day.
Cal
PS. Besides, I've seen very few taxidermy mounts that are really outstanding works of art. Most of the cats I've seen at Dallas and SCI look Oriental wiht a stupid expression--almost a constipated look.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own I guess, but I really enjoy looking at my mounts. The mule deer - killed the first year I moved to Colorado (1980), The bull elk (called him in to about 10 feet with a cow call). The bear skin rug (cooked up a bunch of bacon for dinner and the next morning the dang thing was almost in my sleeping bag). The two buff mounts (the excitement of my first buff, and the charge by the second). And my elephant tusks (looking like they came off of a circus elephant).

To me they are not an investment, but tangible reminders of the hunts. When I get too old to get around any more, hopefully, I can still look at them and marvel at those times of my life.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly the above is why I've never brought anything home from Africa. I realized with the prices involved I can pay for another trip which is frankly more important to me.

With the advance of digital photography I have found that photos capture the memories of the hunt better than mounts for me.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good morning BuffHunter63,

Please can you PM us directly.We will then investigate your case,
Many thanks

Posts: 31 | Location: zimbabwe | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^PM sent.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BuffHunter63,

Richard Ledrum of The African Hunting Gazette. Has a new department in his organization for shipping trophies.

http://www.ahgshipping.com

I don't know anything about their service but I know Richard. I think that they are honest.

Brian Gallup. brian@fastcutcnc.com

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just want to clarify one point. I have absolutely no problem with the service provided by TCI (or Spherical Freight for that matter).

I found their employees pleasant and professional and was always kept informed of the status of my shipment.

As to the time involved, much of that was beyond their control (i.e. awaiting Zim Govt paperwork, USDA, and US Customs holds, etc).

As to the cost of shipping my trophy (a single buffalo skull and cape), here are the exact costs as invoiced (and paid) to/by me.

TCI $507.00
Maple Freight $487.00
Spherical Freight $907.01

The total was $1901.01.

Add in a $50.00 wire transfer fee (for Spherical)
and I am up to $1951.01.

Once the shipment arrived in Denver, it spent another month and a half on a Customs hold.

After it was cleared I went to Jonas Bros and personally checked the skull. It arrived in good condition (the cape was there also, but I didn't expect it).

I was billed $753.16 by Jonas Bros. for "freight and clearance".

I am now in $2704.17. To me that is a lot of money just to get a single buff skull and cape from Bulawayo to my taxidermist in Denver.

Why and how it cost so much is not the point of the thread, just to let hunters know what to expect (or at least what I experienced).

Based upon information posted by others, next time I will have the skull and cape shipped to me (not Jonas Bros.). Hopefully, that will save me $5 or $6 hundred dollars.

As to using TCI, Maple, and Spherical, I will look to other alternatives (to include just having a video of the hunt).

As I stated I have no problem with their service (TCI, etc), but there comes a point when shipping a buff skull and cape is just not worth it anymore (at least to me).

Cheers,

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
BuffHunter63,

Richard Ledrum of The African Hunting Gazette. Has a new department in his organization for shipping trophies.

http://www.ahgshipping.com

I don't know anything about their service but I know Richard. I think that they are honest.

Brian Gallup. brian@fastcutcnc.com

Thanks, I will certainly look into this prior to my next trip to Africa (hopefully, next year).

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BuffHunter63,
I got a reply fron the the AHG trophy shippers. They seem to be professional/organized so far.
See below.

Good day Brian,

I trust you are well.
Thank you for your enquiry. Well received and much appreciated.
For any questions regarding the shipping of your consignment please contact me directly. To get the ball rolling with shipping costs, please provide me with the below information. Thanking you in advance.

1.) The name of the taxidermist who will be completing your trophies. We will use this information for working out the distance for the crating and collection.
2.) The packing list of all the items you have had processed through your taxidermy. We will use this information in order to estimate the dimensions and weight of the crate / box that will be shipped.
3.) Your residential address in order for us to give you our all in service. We will use this information to request the clearance and delivery charges from our agents in the US. We can then get the charges for the delivery to your door.

Thank you again for your request.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Please feel free to contact me should you require any further information.
Have a great day further.

Rhys Fouché
Branch Manager
AHG Shipping
http://www.ahgshipping.com/
Tel: +27 (0) 011 552-8272/8249
Fax: +27 (0) 011 552-8264

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Those time frames and costs are about par for the course, these days, give or take a few months or a few hundred bucks. Add a lot more of both for some countries, such as Mozambique.

Still, IMHO, it's well worth it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Let me know how everything turns. As I stated before, I do love my buffalo shoulder mounts, but perhaps 3 is enough for me.

Good Hunting,

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi BuffHunter63. Actually i was just sharing the contact info to be helpful. I have one buff shoulder mount. That's enough for me. I don't think that I will get any more mounts of any kind.
I may get some buffalo hides to upolster furniture, from a hunt next year. If I do that I will post how their service worked out.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
"Par for the Course these days"....only if we let it!! I have been on my soap box before on this subject...and again...the Safari PH's and Outfitters are KILLING THEIR OWN BUSINESSES, by allowing all of these UNNECESSARY interlopers between them and delivery to client!!
Used to be the PH Outfitter did the prep, dip and pack and delivery to the Airlines....BL issued and usually your taxidermist picked it up at your designated airport....part of his fees....NOPE not any more...it is filled with Hands Out folks who work together to collect fees from DEEP POCKETS HUNTERS>>>and it starts with PH/Outfitters allowing taxidermists or dip and pack outfits get in, and also NOT delivering to them..freight paid. Dip and Peck and Documentation Fees..then Truck (more) freight (or Air) to Airport...then the Freight Forwarder gets involved....puts more fizzle dust on prepared trophies....more Docs, then they Book the Air to Clients Port of Entry...Fees charged again, AND they also get Commissions from Airline...Insurance Paid before Airline accepts, then Airline Airfreight Fees...which used to be 2-3 bucks/KG orpound....HA, no more, these are high value cargo that are delicate....so now $10-15/lb and in most cases 45KG minimum....then the Freight Forwarder "hands off" the B/l's to the Import Broker...not necessary for most shipments, you can do it yourself like Karl mentions...another $250-700 in Clearance fees...then the Airline hands it over to a Freight company...because your taxidermist is too busy to pick up any longer...

I have helped many stranded friends get their ransomed trophies as well as my own...and I have threatened to abandon the trophies too...this gets attention...and I am serious!!

If you look very carefully at your PH/Outfitters advertising these days, you will again see some are providing dip/pack and Doc as part of the package...

Yes, there have become some issues with sensitive animals,pigs and primates, re documentation and fumigation, as well as being a "known shipper" with the airlines these days due to terrorism....BUT it is still possible to get a reasonable deal if you get started with your PH/Outfitter and lay down some expectations and commitments ahead of time. Ensure ONLY the required documentation is done by qualified folks, and your PH/Outfitter is dealing with a quality consolidator or Forwarder....then DON'T let them hand off your docs...Have them Marked or Stamped...NO BROKERS....and you are notified by airline...then you go to airport, clear with USF&W...with appointment, generally nice people and helpful, get your customs stamp...go back to air freight and have them load your vehicle...and you drive to taxidermist>>>
WAKE UP...it is not rocket science...but is a real wake up call ONCE BURNED!!

Well, that's my stump...and I have said it again!! Richard Lendrum and I have had numerous conversations on this subject over last 5 years...and now he should be prepared to expedite in a very professional and properly priced package!!

I was being jerked around in Namibia a few years ago on two tiny 10 trophies....total weight 12 lbs...over $900 was quoted and I hit the roof!! Finally they were "consolidated" in a multi shipper ocean container for sea freight...FORTY Bucks....and I was furious when a well known Broker in New jersey tried to charge $270 to clear...got it down to $150 including UPS ground to my home on West Coast....!!

DONT be a VICTIM...stand up and be heard...it affects all of us if we let it happen....AND MENTION it OVER AND OVER when you are visiting PH/Outfitters at Conventions...they will wake up!!

Seriously, Sea Freight is a good priced option if you use a good consolidator and he has good connections to clear in...that is required on a multi shipper container....and use contracted freight rates to clients taxidermist or home...yes, probably 25% of Air...but it must be a quality handler...or hides will get damp and moldy enroute ....

We need to control our own destiny...NOT JUST LET IT HAPPEN!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470Eddy, That is useful info. Thanks.