Find
Notify
Tools

Semi-Auto in Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Just sitting here watching American Safari (Benelli sponsored) on OLN and there is a short segment where the hunter takes a gemsbok with a new Benelli semi-auto rifle. Are there other nations that allow the use of a semi-autos or is Namibia the only one? Also, if you are just passing through a country that doesn't allow the use of semi-autos for hunting and you have an overnight lay-over, can you still use/take the semi-auto even though this country is not your final destination?

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graybird

Namibia does not allow auto loading rifles.They must have had conections.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter about whether a country allows semi-autos. Because, it is illegal to temporarily export a semi-auto or full auto rifle from the US, unless you have an export license. [Semi-auto sporting shotguns are allowed].

A US citizen is allowed to temporarily export, without a license, up to three nonautomatic firearms ["nonautomatic" means any firearm which is not a semi-auto or full auto firearm]. Provided those firearms are with the US citizen's baggage and the firearms are for the US citizen's personal exclusive use. There can no transfer of ownership of those firearms while the firearms are out of the US.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe these "auto's" came direct from the factory in Europe, and the restrictions don't apply?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
However they did it I saw the same show and it was definately a semi-auto that they guy was using.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact of one hunter in Namibia using a Browning BAR on his trip in 2003. The pictures I have seen really show the rifle well. I sure wouldn't chance it anymore, tho.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
That segment was filmed with PH's Hartmut Freyer and Ernst Scholz. Hartmut will be at my house in a couple days and I will ask him for the details. He previously told me he found the rifles (semi-autos) quite accurate but also quite noisy when opening/closing the actions.

UPDATE: Per Hartmut semi-auto rifles can be brought into Namibia with no problems.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote