New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips and packing list
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I did a search for this tips and packing list, but came up blank. any tips on what to bring to Africa, Tanzinea 7 day buffalo hunt with wike as observer. All help appreciated, this is my first African trip
George

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Tanzania has a couple of special requrements.

1. Both you and your wife will need yellow fever vaccinations. There are only certain clinics and doctors that administer yellow fever vaccinations CDC Yellow Fever Clinics.

Often it is cheaper to get your travel vaccinations (including yellow fever) at city or county health clinics.

2. You need a to get entry visas from the Tanzaniain Embassy before you arrive. This requires sending your passports to them along with the application forms and payment, well in advance of your trip.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Charles.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
My pleasure, but the thanks really go to Terry as he made the list.

Thanks again Terry!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
You are welcome.

Another thing, be sure and check the expiration on your passports. They must be good for at least 6 months after your return date. Also, check to see if you have at least 4 blank visa pages in your passports.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Before someone says, "I don't think you need proof of yellow fever vaccination to enter Tanzania."

Let me say, technically, yellow fever vaccination is not required for entry into Tanzania when you are arriving from the US (since the US is not a yellow fever endemic country).

However, yellow fever is endemic to Tanzania (but generally only seen in the far northwest of the country). So your chance of getting yellow fever while in Tanzania is very slim.

But, because Tanzania is classified as a yellow fever endemic country, then you may be required to show proof of vaccination when entering other countries. Whether anyone ever asks for this, I'm not sure. I entered South Africa directly from Tanzania and South African Customs never asked to see my proof of vaccination.

Since you will need other vaccinations, best to go ahead and get the yellow fever shot anyway. It's good for ten years.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I sat next to a guy on the way to Singapore once. He mentioned that he had been to Tanzania recently (he may have lived there as an expat if I recall). When I asked him if they had checked his vacination record after we cleared pasport control, he said that they had. Better to be safe than sorry. Besides I'll bet Yellow Fever is not something that anyone would want.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote