New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo restrictions in RSA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got an e-mail from Anne @ Hunter Support/Air 2000 in RSA regarding a crackdown by authorities @ JIA on ammo types and exact amounts.

We are using their services to get us out to our charter flight ASAP to get in base camp by dark on June 23rd. The e-mail outlined several recent cases where hunters were given the option to have guns/ammo confiscated or to take a return flight ASAP back home. She cautioned to bring the EXACT amounts of ammo for each gun as submitted on the Temporary Firearms Permit Application.

In one case, two hunters tried to bring in a large quanity of 600 Nitro ammo to trade/barter for trophy fees...they were sent packing.

Another situation, a hunter had 100 rounds on his TFPA, but had 144 in his luggage. They took the extra 44 rounds and gave him the option of hunting with the 100 or go home.

In a third case, 3 or 4 hunters must have been in la-la land when they planned their hunt...they put handguns on their TFPA and each brought a 50AE Desert Eagle semi-auto...their guns and ammo were confiscated immediately and they were given the option to spend there time in RSA as tourists on holiday or to take their guns and go home on the next flight...they went home.

Just thought I would pass this along...I have already confirmed what I had for ammo amounts on my TFPA...she mentioned they count each round and check for headstamps. They compare the headstamps to the firearm markings for caliber.

Things are getting plenty tight...

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last month there was no problem bringing in my Glock 19 (9mm), maybe those handgun hunters should have claimed the Desert Eagles were for personal protection

It DID look like they checked my ammo for quantity and caliber.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think some of this goes back to who you get as an agent when you get where you're going. Sometimes you get the great person who could care less as long as you have a form they can "approve." Sometimes you get the person who, no matter what form, etc. you have, it will take forever and be a hassle. Sometimes you get a person who just wants to do his/her job (not often!).

The bottom line is you can't go wrong with Air2000 for anything. It always helps in any foreign country to have someone on the ground who knows what they're doing - hunting or not.

JMO,

Shannon
gotogirl3

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You cannot hunt with a semi automatic anything in RSA. You can have one for personal protection. There is noplace on the forms you fill out that defines the use for each gun. That, I suspect must have been done verbally while in the SAPs office. If the hunters said they were going to be hunting with the SemiAuto's that would have likely triggered a debate between the hunters and the officer and you can guess who wins that!

I expext that the SAPs officer saw that giant of a semi auto and wondered how it was going to be packed around town for protection, so he asked something about it. After hearing the hunter say he was going to hunt with it, well..........that would have been the end of that!

You will find over time in RSA that the decision of the Saps officer is final. No debate, no judge, no jury. You're quite limited to smiling and saying yes sir or no sir with them. Be nice, polite, and quick with the paperwork and information you need. That will go a very long way towards keeping the line moving and the SAPs folks job easy which translates into a much better mood for them!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
How many rounds are you limited to per rifle?

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ammo is limited by law to a reasonable amount. Not the clearest legal statement Eh! Having gone through this countless times I have always asked the SAPs officer what that means. The 100% consistant answer from each of them has been 200 rounds. Well you will exceed the weight limit of the airlines on ammo before you exceed the legal limit for RSA then.

40 rounds per gun is more then enough for your hunting and it will never raise and eyebrow. Don't bring more then you need and think you can leave it with the PH or outfitter unless he is licensed for the same cartridge. It's not legal to have ammo you don't have a license for.

Just bring the ammo you need there and pack what you don't need back home. The head stamp is getting to be critical now as well. Everything is tightening up!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I cannot say enough good things in support of Air2000. Ann answered all questions before my hunt, the SAP proceedure went without a hitch, and the smiling face that greeted me was worth the $$

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote