New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Cape Buffalo Attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just heard that a prominent wildlife artist, Simon Combs was killed by a cape buffalo. Apparently his wife witnessed this. This hits home for me very deeply. Please lets us all pray for strength courage and hope for Mrs. Combs. I have no other detail on what happened or where but rather heard it from a reliable source. When Niki was gored earlier this year the members of this site posted many words that were of great value to me and Im sure Mrs. Combs needs all the support possible.

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
How sad, many thoughts and prayers on the way.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I just heard that a prominent wildlife artist, Simon Combs was killed by a cape buffalo. Apparently his wife witnessed this. This hits home for me very deeply.

You and Niki have a lot to be thankful for this year! I hope she is doing well.

Our prayers will be with Mrs. Combs.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Keith,

Glad to see you back with us.

I hope Niki has made a full recovery from her ordeal, please give her our best wishes.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Mrs. Combs.

This year seems to have produced more than the usual buffalo attacks. This sure kepts us on our toes this year each time we followed a buffalo we have shot that had gone into thick grass.

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Keith,

I do hope Niki has recovered or very well on the way to a complete recovery. And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I can only image the tragic situation Mrs. Combs is suffering through with this incident and her loss. I do hope that she can withstand the grief and pray for her comfort in her time of need.

Posts: 19361 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our small prayers for all.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith,
Good to hear from you and give Niki and the family my best..I will say a prayer for the combs family..

It's always a wake up call when I hear someone make statements that hunting dangerous game is not dangerous when, as you know so well, it can and does happen every year and more than once or twice as a rule. It is always blamed on human error and that may well be as that is a human falacy, but I know of many instances wherein it just happened, fate simply takes a hand...

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our Prayers are with the Combs family.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

fate simply takes a hand...

Bingo

We do not get to decide IF we die...
We do get to decide HOW we live.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family as well as yours.

How is your wifes' recovery going?

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers to the Combs family..

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Keith, thanks for letting us know about this tragic loss.

Holly and I would like to send a sympathy card to Mrs. Combs. Could you either post her address on the Forum or email it to us privately?

We are so pleased to hear that Niki is back in the mountains guiding with you again. Did the surprise hunt you planned for her in Texas take place?

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found 2 articles about his death.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004581092,00.html

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3891543

One of his many images, "The Guardian":

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
To ALL:

Thanks for all your kind words. Niki's progress has been to me, nothing short of miraculous. She is at 90% recovery and we expect 100% by this summer. She guided several clients this fall for deer and antelope walked a pretty fair amount in mountainous terrain and it was very beneficial to the damaged muscles in her thigh. Bones have healed up well so all things considered we are very blessed as we enter Christmas season and have much to be grateful for.

I only wish that my friend Bob Fontana could have come out as well as Niki. One quote I'll never forget that was read at Bob's funeral which fit him well "Every man dies....But not every man lives...............

Niki is an extremely tough and determined woman and she is ready to do battle again with buffalo though next time I'd say she will not be doing any guessing with the PH as to just where the vitals are in thick brush. But who, at some point in thier hunting career, hasn't taken a questionable shot? My advice to all is DO NOT shoot if your not sure. The risk is not worth it.

We have some stories coming out that will tell the story soon in SCI and Sports Afield so hopefully this will share our experience with others and what we learned from it.

Mark and Holly,

Niki and I go for Aoudad in Texas before SCI convention. This is no easy hunt so it should be good for her leg and for my desire for sheep hunting and for my goal of a world slam for sheep. Merry Christmas to all of you.

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About two decades ago I picked up an art book at a used book store in Utrecht, The Netherlands. I was by an artist/author unknown to me, but the pictures in that book showed the craftsmanship and eye for detail that the artist obviously possessed. I read the artist's life story that accompanied the beautiful pictures many a time, and the book is still on my "coffee table" in my office. As an aspiring wildlife artist, his work was The Holy Grail to me.

I was dumbstruck when I stumbled onto Simon Combes, the artist in question, at SCI in Reno last year. I spoke with him for about 15 minutes. He seemed a very friendly, soft spoken man. Meeting him was one of the highlights of the show.

I'm sure he will be missed by many. My thoughts are with his wife and others that were near to him.

F.

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hurrah for Niki!!
And my prayers for Mrs. Combs

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote