New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Weights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Animal weights ,I have read Eland can go 2000Lbs. and buffalo only 1000lbs . Elephant adult perhaps 10000lbs .I know it is not easy to use a cattle scale in the bush,so what is the best method? Rhino and hippo 6000-8000 lbs. What are your thoughts on theses weights , are they correct or not? Thanks Rug

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I'm only repeating what various P.H.s have told me in the past, but they've said that an old Blue Bull Eland will go 2000 pounds, and a Cape Buffalo Bull will go @ 1500 to 1800 pounds, with the odd monster pushing 2000.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think geographic area has a lot to do with animal body sizes. I personally know that elephant in Botswana where I hunted were much larger than elephants in the Zambesi valley. The buffalo on Mount Galai in Tanzania were much bigger than buffalo in the Luangwa valley. Hippos in my limited experience have seemed to be about the same size regadless of location. When eland get to big old herd bulls they all look to me like they could be 1500 pounds. Its pretty hard to tell with out weighing animals. I do find it hard to believe that a wild buffalo or eland could attain a solid ton on the hoof. This is just my observation.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I shot an Eland in 98 or 99 near Bietbridge in Zimbabwe and we weighed it at the ranch house before we skinned it as the scales were on the hoist. It weighed 1820lbs. These were ranch scales and not in any way certified. Only animal I've weighed or seen weighed.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys this helps in choosing which to try for next time. Mark I see what you refer to about the size and areas. I hope to get to Taz. someday, Alf thanks for the chart.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have read and heard from PH`s:
Elandbull: 2000 Ibs
Buff-bull max 900 kg (2000 ibs)
Elephant vary a lot in bodyweight . The bodyweight are bigger in Botswana/Caprivi/Matetsi areas (Matetsi elephants often come from Botswana especially in Sept/Oct. when there is a lack of water in Botswana and plenty in the Matetsi..). They told me that really big bulls will weigh 6-7 tonnes (13-15000 Ibs) - incl. one I shot in Matetsi in 2002..
On the other hand is elephant body weigths somewhat smaller than that in Zembezi Valley and in Tanzania.

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I was told that the Cape Eland is about 600-700kg but the livingstone can go to over 1200kg... I make that just over 2500lb?

Is there that much difference in size between the species?

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote