New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plains Game at Pistol Range
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is not my intent to debate the usefulness of pistols, I prefer to use a rifle and get close to game before shooting. I feel that this is actually hunting, not standing off at 300 yards and "sending them one".
Is it appropriate to ask the PH to get you inside 100 yards for all game shot?

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Of course, it is appropriate, but it will be exceedingly difficult if not impossible for some species (vaal rhebok, mountain nyala, sitatunga (unless you use a mokoro), Kafue lechwe, et al.).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Troglodyte

A lot of African hunting will be inside 100 yards particularly for the bigger stuff. Most PH's would rather have you close particularly on your first safari. There will be situations where you have a perfectly makeable shot at 150-200 yards and you probalby should take it particularly on non-dangerous game. In the Kalahari for instance shots can be longer still and you will have no choice but to take them or not get your game. On the other hand you are the client and if you want to be within 100 yards on everything make sure you express your desire upon booking your hunt and also make sure the PH is very clear on this. You'll just have to accept the fact you may not get everything you want on your safari.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you are hunting...a long shot may be 50m. Much of the Zambezi Valley, except along the flood plain itself, 50m is a reasonable range.

Even in the Kalahari though I dind't find the need for long shots. I shot a nice 41" gensbok at 63 yards, a springbok at 95, and a blesbok at 30 on a hunt with Dirk de Bot and Hannes Styn (two good men if you ever want to hunt Namibia BTW)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Zimbabwe-Rodesia and Nabibia in 1978 with a muzzleloader and killed general plains game. The only thing that I shot over 100yds were a Gemsbok at 125-150yds and an ostrige at 150-175yds. one man and one hut. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
trog..speaking from experience no ph wants you to wound an animal and risk a client getting ticked off and paying trophy fees for no animals..
I shot my buf at 45 yards and bull ele at 30 feet...I did make a very long shot on a kudu at 400 yards...Ph never asked me to shoot it..He said, " can you hit him?" I was practing on ground hogs in Pennsylvania before my trip and the rest is history and 53incher is on the wall...But you must know your rifle inside and out...and know how to Shoot it...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote