Find
Notify
Tools

First African Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
I'm starting to look for a PH for my first Hunt. Buffalo is my primary intrest but would likr to take other species as well. I watched all of Mark Sullivan's viedos and would like to hunt in a simalar style. I have little intrest in flying 4000 miles to shoot a large bovine at 150m with a scoped rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Why do you think everyone but Mark Sullivan shoots buffalo at 150 meters?

Are you planning to hunt with Mark?

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr B,

There is no reason to hunt in a similar style when you can get the real thing! Just send Mr. Sullivan an email and tell him you want to book a safari.

Mark Sullivan's email: mark@nitroexpresssafaris.com

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr B

I see you are a new poster here. Welcome to the forum. If you take advantage of the gold mine of knowledge and experience here, you will learn a great many things about african hunting and human nature.

Good Hunting

Elmo

Note to Dr B

I edited this post because even I myself didn't like the condescending tone of my reply.

Good Luck with your hunt.

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Doc B:

Mark isn't real popular around here.

Welcome aboard, though.

I'm sure you can find a PH who would be more than happy to get you as close as you wanted.

If you stick around, you'll learn a lot here.

Godspeed.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Russ thanks for your reply. I'm just wondering Why is Mark not popular around here. He is one of the PH i'm considering Hunting with.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dr B,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Good for you for wanting a Buff on your first trip to Africa, it's a long way to come and a good idea to make the most of it once you've made that horrendous journey.

.......but don't think that there is only one PH who gets you close to the animals.......plenty do. Last season one of my clients took a Buff at 10 yards and the furthest shot at Buff any of my clients took was about 35 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr B,

If you haven't already seen it, let me suggest another video on hunting Cape Buff.

BODDINGTON ON BUFFALO
(Produced by Safari Classics Productions, 2004)
"This is a film I have wanted to make for many years and it’s finally ready for release. Join me, professional hunter Andrew Dawson of Chifuti Safaris, and producers Tim Danklef and Dave Fulson as we guide you through the most comprehensive film ever produced on the art of hunting my favorite member of Africa’s big five, the Cape buffalo.

Filmed on location in the famed Zambezi valley of Zimbabwe, BODDINGTON ON BUFFALO is a no-nonsense, honest, and exciting production that covers all areas for the viewer interested in the cape buffalo.
"

The video is available here:
http://www.craigboddington.com/

For some previous comments and thoughts about Mark Sullivan, see this thread:
Thoughts on Mark Sullivan

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can assure you Steve (Shakari) gets close, three hours after arriving in the Selous I was well within ten feet from my first Buff and inside thirty feet of a few dozen more in the same heard. We passed on that lot but much closer and I could simply smack him in the butt with my hand to get a good look at the horns.

Yet another reason why I am hunting with Steve again this year Big Grin we both like being up close and in among them after all it is not DG at 100 yards.

James F Nixon III

Posts: 39 | Location: North GA. | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm all for keeping the D in DG myself. Too many are on the anti Sullivan style of hunting DG bandwagon.
IMHO if you want to hunt DG why settle for a PH that won't get you within 25 yds?BB

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BALLBUSTER:
I'm all for keeping the D in DG myself. Too many are on the anti Sullivan style of hunting DG bandwagon.
IMHO if you want to hunt DG why settle for a PH that won't get you within 25 yds?BB

There is a whole world of difference between getting close to a buffalo for the first shot versus having the PH shoot your buffalo while it is "charging".

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I agree completely and only ever shoot if I consider it absolutely necessary.

As Jim says, I love to get real up close and personal with DG but it's not for everybody. A few years I hunted with a client who was a fairly well known TV chef. He took his first Buff after a very exciting stalk and from very close range........but afterwards he told me it was the first and last Buff he'd ever shoot and that he had his doubts about my sanity! Wink

Funny how some people don't enjoy a bit of excitement in their lives Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can assure you Steve (Shakari) gets close, three hours after arriving in the Selous I was well within ten feet from my first Buff and inside thirty feet of a few dozen more in the same heard.

So shakari, is it fair to say that your clients do not need a scope for buffalo hunting? Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd say that's a fairly accurate assessment - although there is the occasional client who still manages to miss.......but mostly from excitement rather than from lack of ability.

The only problem with iron sights is that most hunters don't practice shooting them often enough...........That comment certainly doesn't apply to JN III who is one of the best shots and best hunters I've ever had the pleasure to meet and/or hunt with.