Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first SA Safari
 Login/Join

posted
I will be traveling to South africa on my first safari on June 16-27, 2005. My primary objective is plains game animals. I will be taking my 300 WSM with 180 grain TB bullets. Am I going to be ok with this rifle and ammo?
Also, any suggestions on a good hunting jacket for the cool weather? How about boots?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 7 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You are going to have a ball! Your rifle/ammo combo will be fine. Comfortable, lt. wt. hunting boots are perfect, even good off-road running shoes work. I like the micro-fleece rain jackets from Cabela's,just in case you get some rain too. Have fun, you WILL be planning your 2nd trip on the plane home. nut

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
orlando,
Sounds like a good caliber and bullet choice. take a good warm, quiet, jacket carharts are nice for it's thorn resistance, take a good knit cap, warm gloves, and maybe a scarf or balaclava, it's chilly in the AM. make sure you wear your most comfotable boots, you may not do as much walking as you expect but new boots are a bad idea, you might even consider tennis shoes, but thorns through the soles can be quite nasty. good luck.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I am already planing my next trip to either Zimbabwe or Namibia next year.
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
You are going to have a ball! Your rifle/ammo combo will be fine. Comfortable, lt. wt. hunting boots are perfect, even good off-road running shoes work. I like the micro-fleece rain jackets from Cabela's,just in case you get some rain too. Have fun, you WILL be planning your 2nd trip on the plane home. nut

Posts: 7 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bird hunting (upland style) boots are what I use. Lightweight and made for walking.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you are going, but it can be colder than a witch's tit. I always take a down jacket even into the Zambezi valley. And insulated pants and gloves would be a good idea.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Orlando,

I went to RSA last June for my first safari. I agree with Will in that it depends on where you go. I was north of Durban near Hluhluwe and didn't even think about needing a jacket. At most in the mornings, I needed a long sleeved shirt. By 2 hours after sunrise, I was ready to shuck that thing. However, a light weight hunting jacket would be a wise addition while packing.

I would also suggest the biggest can of bug spray with as much DEET as they pack in one. The ticks were outrageous to say the least.

Good luck!

graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Orlando

U are going to have a ball, depending on were you will be hunting, June is one of the colder months in SA very dry aswell. So jacket definately, as for boot's try this website
www.gordonfootwear.co.za depending on your time in the country try obtain a pair they are great I have just purchased a pair of his high boots magic!!!

Hunt well.

"op-die-knoppe!"

Posts: 51 | Location: midrand South Africa | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You might consider a sweater that is a good hunting color and a wind/waterproof shell type jacket. That way you can use layers as the weather dictates.
You will have a ball.
Make sure you post a hunting report.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Orlando,
You lucky dog you! You'll have a blast!

As stated above, you'll need heavy for the buggy ride and light weight for the rest of the day. I hunted in walking shoes.

When I hunted with Claude Kleynhans several years ago he hunted in a gym shirt/shorts, a cartridge belt and hi tech open toed flip flops.

Get a good shirt like the ones that ones LONG-GRASS OUTFITTERS sells. They are out of San Antonio, forum members and great folks.

A brimed hat, & sunscreen. Get out and walk, now! Carry something with you.

Go get your customs forms and take your rifle, camera, watch, scope, binos, over to the customs office on the 610 E loop and get that taken care of so that it's not a last minute problem. Be sure to walk in and tell them you'd like to bring a rifle in.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
<kram>
posted
Orlando,
The weather will be like winter in Houston.What you wear to hunt in Texas will most likly work.
I found that flat sole boots are the most quiet and great for walking and stalking. You dont need insultated or waterproof boots.Also bring some camp shoes or slippers for the evening around the fire.
I always end up in shorts and a tee shirt or short sleeve so layering is the way to go.Most mornings I start out with sweatpants on for in the truck.I like shorts because the thorns are quiet on bare legs. If you opt for shorts get or make some gaiters to keep seeds and burs off your socks and out of your boots.
You really do not need but 3 days worth of clothes as laundry is done daily.I bring an Army field jacket,fleece pull over,B.D.U. shirt,two pairs of shorts,two pairs long pants,sweat pants,four changes of underwear,two long and two short sleeved shirts.A wool cap,baseball cap,gloves and 5 pairs of socks.
I always bring my own pillow and a roll of toliet paper.Everything fits into my Pelican case.
Your gun is a little fast in velocity so avoid shooting in brush.My first trip I took my .308 and now have a .416 that goes with the .308.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are in for the time of your life, congrats. My PH was more interested in marksmanship over my choice of caliber for my plains game hunt. You have a favorite of the 4 PH's I talked to. Always take a coat, gloves, and a warm hat, you'll never go wrong.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a great time. Bring hat,headscarf,gloves and a fleece.

For plains game anything in 30 cal is fine. just practice to shoot straight at 150-200m and you'll have a great time.

oh yes i find wet wipes, hard candy and a small digital camera excellent stuff to have in a day bag.

happy hunting.
guy.

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote