Find
Notify
Tools

.416's in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted
I am wondering about something & I know someone on this forum will know. If someone is using a .416 Rem or Rigby both loaded to 2400 fps in Africa does the Rem run a significantly higher pressure? Or is the pressure when loaded to this velocity a major concern in the Rem? I was thinking if someone developes their loads in someplace like where I live in Wyoming & then goes to Africa that the increase in pressure might be a concern.

[ 11-30-2003, 06:45: Message edited by: WyoJoe ]

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Regardless of where the ammo is loaded or shot, the Remington will develope significantly higher pressure than the Rigby for any given velocity. This is simply due to it's smaller powder capacity. That said, the Remington will still be well within safe pressure levels if loaded to 2400fps.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I load the 416 with 350 grain A Frames at 2620 FPS. Never experienced any signs of pressure when the temperature was 90�� (Tanzania)

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I believe that 2,400 fps represents a threshold for 35% of the .416 Remington rifles out there, especially so, when using monolithics. While many will safely give this velocity, nearly as many will give 2,350 fps at the same pressure. I can get up to 100 fps more with jacketed bullets with my rifle, than with monos. Due to the above, care should be taken to identify where your .416 falls in this. Better to run at 2,350-70 or so, than to insist upon getting 2,400.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run everything out of my 416 Rem at under 2400 FPS, there is nothing really magical about that figure and 2350 FPS will give the exact same results as far as I can tell...and if I had to run them at 2100 I would still be perfectly satisfied considering the wonderful SD of the 416 in any form......

I shot a number of buffalo with my 404 loaded down to 2100 FPS to see how the original guns handled big game and to see why the 404 had such a great reputation, and I found out, it simply kill the Buffalo like a big bore should....I then shot some more with the same bullets at 2653 FPS in my 404 and got the same results or so it appeared so I settled on 2400 and let it go at that...If one needs more then velocity is not the route to take on Buff, go to a 45 or 50 caliber, only that cross section is going to make a decernable difference, but even then don't expect anything dramatic, it ain't going to happen....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
There are many temperture stable powders that you can use that once a safe load is established you will be fine hot or cold. As Nick mentioned the monolithics are so long for caliber that they eat up powder space and a lower velocity with the Remington can be expected with the same pressure as a soft like the Swift A-Frame.
Take care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard the rumors of the 416 Rem. building pressure in the heat of Africa...To those who spread such ca-ca, I suggest they use the gun before spreading....I have used it since its birth and yet to have any signs of high pressure when loaded properly...

82 grs. of RL-15 is max with a 400 gr. bullet and it never gave me any trouble and Africa is not hotter than Arizona or Texas....I shot that load for years until one day I shot 78 and got under an inch groups and only about 75 FPS less velocity, so I shoot that now.

But I suspect some guys can get pressure with about anything they shoot, I know many who push it to the hilt, they can't help it, its in there genes and they have pressure problems with all the calibers they shoot....

Bottom line the 416 is no different than a 270, 338, and a host of others that no one brings up..

I suspect it's is a rumor spread by little bitty frighten little 416 Rigby users!! [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote