New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clearing warthog skulls -- URGENT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here been able to clear a cleaned, but not taxidermist-prepared, warthog skull past USDA?

I am having a hard time getting a straight answer from them about whether it can be done. They're having a hard time getting past the fact it's just as clean but not on a plaque.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I would suggest employing the services of a custom's broker.

Contact Don Truly at Coppersmith in Dallas, TX.

(972) 262-0539

They have offices around the country and Don is certainly up to date on how to get things like this done. They will charge you a fee, but will also save you the grief.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ons had to have them checked out by a Vet stateside. Good reason to leave them Africaside!

They got sent to the Vet and then you picked them up from there. More money. I assume it is still the same.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes but its been about 20 years ago. I had a skull that was preped by a guy in durban that wasn't recognized by usda. they let me bring it in through a broker and get delivered to a taxidermist that was on their list. He couldn't open the crate until they sent 2 guys to his place to supervise. then they took the skull and threw it into a tank of solution and had him burn the crate. i don't know if that whole process is OK yet or not

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote