New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Story
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just heard from a friend hunting in South Africa and the property owner suggested she hunt Buffalo at night with a red light. She did so against her better judgment and shot on the PH's "command" and drew blood and purchased the Buffalo. They looked for one day and gave up said no use. As I understand this was on a ranch with high fences. Why quit?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Totally unacceptable behaviour.
Please publish the outfitters / PH's details .

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually......when you do something against your better judgenment it bites you i the ass!

On the other hand.......why quit looking.....shame on the outfitter.

Out the guy.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable please let us have company name

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day the client is responsible for the shot - no matter how idiotic the coaching may be. The PH is responsible for everything that happens after the shot.

As the client, I would tell the PH to go fetch and don't come back until your buff is on the ground. Have a nice day.

wave

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I heard about it yesterday and as I understand it, the hunt took place in the Eastern Cape and section 29 (B & E) of the EC Game ordinance HERE (page 5) forbids the practice of hunting with lights.

Quite what inspired the outfitter to allow, let alone suggest the practice beggars belief. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Clients need to remember it is their hunt, and if a PH/Guide/Land Owner, whoever, suggests doing something that makes the client uncomfortable the client simply needs to refuse to do it.

Stopping the search for a wounded animal, regardless of species on a high fenced property makes no sense.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Clients need to remember it is their hunt, and if a PH/Guide/Land Owner, whoever, suggests doing something that makes the client uncomfortable the client simply needs to refuse to do it.

Stopping the search for a wounded animal, regardless of species on a high fenced property makes no sense.

It makes plenty of sense if you are an unscrupulous bastard and know that you can sell a lightly wounded buffalo twice.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Nice scam. Sell the same buffalo several times, and in SA that's likely a considerable amount of money. Sounds dangerous though, I would expect the bull to get fairly grouchy after being wounded a few times. The consequences of a charge can be serious after all.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve the land owner not only allowed it but suggested the night hunt. I believe this is the first African hunt this lady has been on. I think it was a group of 5 or 6 ladies. I told her after the fact ( a lesson I learned yrs ago) you must decide when to take the shot not the PH or operator. I will ask about revealing the outfits identity.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ed

Ja, I also understood it was the outfitter that suggested it....... someone need to tie the fidiot to a tree for leopard bait if he did!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You were asked 2X already....who is this outfitter??

Without a name this is a pointless thread

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sucks! Really doesn't help hunters...

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:

Hold your horses bwana...... Ed has already said he'll ask permission to name the outfitter and I'm sure he will as soon as he receives that permission.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
At night, with a red light,wounding a buff, not cleaning up a mess on fenced property? Was not there an earlier post asking why folks were getting killed hunting dangerous game? cuckoo

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bad situation...

Before she puts the outfitters name on public she should try to discuss the issue with the outfitter. Maybe they can still work something out!?
As far as I know this is illegal and the outfitter should have never allowed (or suggest it).

After all she took the shot and should not have done that.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And we talk about having to put up with the loony bunny hungers?

We have heard so often how little the South African Professional Hunters Association does, let us see what they do this idiot!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
And we talk about having to put up with the loony bunny hungers?

We have heard so often how little the South African Professional Hunters Association does, let us see what they do this idiot!

PHASA have no legal powers and the only thing they can do is suspend or remove membership and even that doesn't stop him operating....... and if he's not a member, they can't do anything at all.

However, the hunter can report the PH & Outfitter to the game dept who can then suspend or remove their licences to operate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just heard from the party and she has ask me not to reveal any names. I just brought this to the board wondering why an operator on a limited property would not spend a few days looking for this Buffalo, hell they even saw it on trail camera and knew it wasn't hurt that bad. Either follow up or no charge to the hunter.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
It is my assumption this is the same incident.

http://www.africahunting.com/t...falo-at-night.16392/

quote:
Yes, someone just sent me that info. But another reputable PH also stated this: " If the property in question is currently adequately enclosed for buffalo and registered as such with the department of enviromental affairs it would be deemed lawful to conduct such hunt at night with a artificial light." What is considered "adequately enclosed"? I am being informed by my PH, Louie Bodill of Starr & Bodill that Louw Pieterse informed him that the buff has now magically disappeared and moved on to another farm. It was Louw that was the PH on the buff hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since she has posted the details on another site I will confirm these are one and the same. I thought (which can be dangerous) there were no free ranging buffalo available for hunting in RSA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are so many details missing from this story that is looks like Swiss cheese.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Since she has posted the details on another site I will confirm these are one and the same. I thought (which can be dangerous) there were no free ranging buffalo available for hunting in RSA.

Of course there's free-range buff hunting in RSA, but when the mention of "farms" is included - it then sounds as though free-range hunting was not the case here?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed Aaron. There are certainly free range buff in the RSA.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Awful. But there seems to be blame enough to go around.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:

Hold your horses bwana...... Ed has already said he'll ask permission to name the outfitter and I'm sure he will as soon as he receives that permission.

You're right...Sorry bout that!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
If the animal has "moved onto another farm" it would suggest that the land wasn't "adequately enclosed", thereby making the activity of hunting at night with artificial light illegal in this case. Or have I missed something?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
It is my assumption this is the same incident.

http://www.africahunting.com/t...falo-at-night.16392/

quote:
Yes, someone just sent me that info. But another reputable PH also stated this: " If the property in question is currently adequately enclosed for buffalo and registered as such with the department of enviromental affairs it would be deemed lawful to conduct such hunt at night with a artificial light." What is considered "adequately enclosed"? I am being informed by my PH, Louie Bodill of Starr & Bodill that Louw Pieterse informed him that the buff has now magically disappeared and moved on to another farm. It was Louw that was the PH on the buff hunt.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Any property/reserve in RSA that contains DG is required to be adequately fenced to contain them and as I read the EC game act section 29 (B & E) of the EC Game ordinance HERE (page 5) forbids the practice of hunting with lights or during the hours between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise but that said, I haven't read the rest of the act and there could be other allowances etc....... and quite honestly, it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie under the circumstances.

However, quite what the outfitter & PH were thinking when they decided it was a good idea to let a (presumably) novice buffalo hunter lamp a buffalo (esp with a frontal chest shot) simply beggars belief!

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
…………….. I am being informed by my PH, Louie Bodill of Starr & Bodill that Louw Pieterse informed him that the buff has now magically disappeared and moved on to another farm. It was Louw that was the PH on the buff hunt.

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who was the illusionist that moved the animal? Too big for Penn & Teller.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Who was the illusionist that moved the animal? Too big for Penn & Teller.

Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
However, quite what the outfitter & PH were thinking when they decided it was a good idea to let a (presumably) novice buffalo hunter lamp a buffalo (esp with a frontal chest shot) simply beggars belief!

+1

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote