New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luangwa Valley Timing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could anyone help with the following: What would one expect in terms of hunting conditions in the Luangwa valley in the May/ June time frame? Specfically, have any of you hunted then and what was the availibility of buff ans hippo. Any other info regarding general conditions would be helpful.Thanks.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grass wiil be very tall hindering buffalo hunting that early in the season. The river will have more flow and therefore the hippos will be more dispersed. Sept. should be ideal for both species as they will both be much more concentrated in and near the main river.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the Luangwa in June, July, and August, and I prefere the last week of July, into August! Grass is usually burned off by then, and the mopani forests are thinned of under brush. There is not a huge amount of water other than the river, any time of year durring the hunting season. The river is fairly low by late june, so hippo are easily found. The temprature is vry nice for hunting in late July, and August, being cold at night, and with a high of about 80 degrees in the heat of the day. The Luangwa is one of my favorite places in Africa to hunt. Enjoy! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There will be only one good day, the afternoon of June 16th. But it comes with no guarantees and no refunds. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a particular solunar (or other) period on the 16th that would be better than the rest of the day?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there in the first of June & that is to early. To much water in the bush and to much tall green grass. August would be my choice. by then the grass is down and the waterholes dried up, which congregates the game at the river. By the way if you have any intentions of ever shooting hippo, you're going to the right place. There are giants there. Mine was 30"

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crane, I hunted there this past Sept 18-24. Lot of buff and hippo were there and good visibility in the brush. It was hot 90's but not humid. I would go again at this time of year.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Donato,
What are the distances you can expect to shoot buffalo at that time of year? Is it possible/common for under 60 yards shots or is it long distance?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT Donato,What are the distances you can expect to shoot buffalo at that time of year? Is it possible/common for under 60 yards shots or is it long distance?
Scott - I was there Sept 04 (Lower Lupande), and shot two buffalo. On my hunt, it was possible to get close to the herds, and I shot one bull under 50-yards while crossing a dry river bed.

But the bachelor groups which drink at the river at night and/or cross from the park this time of the year, head to the hills come morning. In these areas the cover is slim, and the bulls are switched on. After 6-days of tracking small groups, the closest we could get for a clean shot was about 150 yards. They were good, when they would lie down there would be eyes in all directions. Your results might vary.

In 05 I think Donato hunted in a different part of the concession, and his experience may be totally different, as is common in buffalo hunting…one needs to be ready for anything, or decline a shot depending on the rifle/scope setup. I had a similar experience in the Selous, shot one buf at 30-yards and the other at 200.

Crane - As others have said, I was told by my PH that early in the season the grass is tall and bush thick, and stalking buffalo difficult. But I bet it is a very pretty time of the year. The operators I had spoken to were opening camps in April and started hunting May 1st, but I am sure this varies. Are you looking at a particular concession?

Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Donato,
What are the distances you can expect to shoot buffalo at that time of year? Is it possible/common for under 60 yards shots or is it long distance?

SBT I shot my buff at about 80 yd and then again at 40 yd. I had the chance to shoot a nice buff at 40 yd but couldn't get on him fast enough. There is a very good chance to kill one under 60 yd at this time of year.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill- I WAS thinking about Late May/Early/June. But it seems that all who have responded think that is a bit early. No I did not have a particular area in mind. I am archery hunting and was told that the earlier time would offer some advantages in terms of stalking.That earlier time frame works well with my business. Would it be accurate to assume that the buffalo are not so dependant on the park as much early in the season? Thanks all for your help. Bob Butler.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Bob - I would suggest talking w/a few of the outfitters who hunt in the area (Johnny du Plooy, Peter Chipman, Leopard Ridge, etc). Like any concession that boarders a river at least that I have been to (Luangwa, Zambezi, Kwando, etc), the buffalo prefer to drink from waterholes earlier in the season. But of course most PH's know where the waterholes are (which might be the ticket if using a blind), it is just that the game will be more disbursed throughout the concession. At end of the year when the water dries up, they frequent the river more, so it is easier to pick up spoor assuming they cross a dirt track, if one is on a tracking hunt. In the case of the Luangwa Valley, the Park boundary does play a roll too, and animals will move in/out. The Luangwa becomes shallow ~Aug on, and I was told towards the end of the year there is more movement out of the Park as the animals search for greener pastures. Again, chat w/the PH's who hunt the areas you are interested in, they will know best reg the resident buffalo and the movement in/out of the Park. But I wouldn't rule-out April-June until then, especially as a bow hunter. Are you planning to hunt hippo w/the bow, hoping to catch them on dry land? Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

A friend of mine got the contract for the hippo cull in Luangwa and they shot about 200 plus this year, one of which was a45 incher!!! and a another couple of monsters

Just thought I will let you drool over that a bit

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And just to let you know that there are culling packages avalable for next year again

7 days 5 hippo

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Kwan

Who is your friend?? I meet a hunter that had something similar when I was in RSA in august!

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill- Yes hippo on land and stalking buffalo are my primary interests.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill and Donato!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote