THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Getting Trophies Home To Canada - Permits, etc.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Trophies Home To Canada - Permits, etc.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys.

I finally heard from Vaughan Fulton regarding my trophies and he has hooked me up with International Air Cargo Services out of Windhoek, Namibia. They are to be the ones shipping my trophies. They consist of the following:

Oryx Skull, Pr. Horns, Cape, Backskin

Hartmann Zebra (Cites) Fullskin

Springbok Skull, Pr. Horns, Cape and Backskin

For these three animals air freight to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada is $700 US Dollars. Is that about right?

Also, I asked about the horns, as they were listed separately and I was concerned they might be removed from the skulls, and this is what I was told by Pam from IACS:

"No, the horns are not broken off they were taken off the bobe horns."

I have no idea what "taken off the bobe" means, but I don't think they can be entered if split, and I was planning on making European mounts first and then shoulder mounts later so they must be in tact. I have a Springbok that is better than 16.5" on both sides.

Also, with regards to import permits, does anyone know where to start with the feds in Canada to get the permits? Pam from IACS says she cannot get a VET certificate without one.

Thanks for the help guys.

President & CEO
Enter360 Media Group Inc.
http://www.enter360.com
Tactical Marketing for the Shooting Sports Industry

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sheldon,

I paid about $600 USD to get my trophies from JNB in 2002. $700 from Windhoek sounds reasonable to me.

As far as your skulls/horns go, well, they HAVE to be separated. The horns have to be "popped" off of the cores in order for all of the non-bone material to be boiled off and for them to be "sanitized". If your skulls show up with any meat/connective tissue etc on them, they will be siezed. Separating them from the skulls is normal and should not in affect them negatively in any way.

I am not sure what the last part of your message means. In my experience you do not need to get an import permit. They send you your trophies cleaned and dipped, the Vet service in Namibia will sign off on the export, they get shipped. Once they get to Canada you can essentially clear them through Customs yourself. AG Canada vet services will want to inspect them, but as long as they are clean and the paperwork is in order, its about a 5 minute thing. The most important thing is to make sure the shipper puts a small value on them! If not, customs may try to charge you duty on the price of the animals (ie your hunt and trophy fees!!!!). If your shipper states a value equivalent to the dipping and packing fee, your duty charges will be minimal.

If you want, feel free to contact me offline.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Canuck.

Could this be because thge animals were killed North of Vet fence near Etosha??

IACS says I absolutely need the import permit. I'll email Pam and ask her to confirm that again for me.

Thanks!

President & CEO

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'll double check with a friend that was in Namibia this summer too. I'll post whatever I find out tomorrow.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheldon and Canuk I sure am listening closly because Pam has told me exactly the same thing. I have e-mailed Cites but as yet have not had a response-4 days.

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is some thing that is because of hunting north of the Vet fence, and causes enough trouble, y'all might want to reconsider that in the future when making plans to hunt in Namibia.

President & CEO

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Sheldon Charron:
If this is some thing that is because of hunting north of the Vet fence, and causes enough trouble, y'all might want to reconsider that in the future when making plans to hunt in Namibia.

Sheldon, try contacting Namibia's Professional Hunters Association, and see what they have to say.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sheldon Charron:

Hunting north of the vet fence delays the release of the trophies but that is all. Since the fence was created thousand of hunters have hunted and successfully received their trophies.

Mike

Posts: 1853 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Sheldon,

A fellow forum member was kind enough to draw my attention to your post and forwarded it to me and this is what I came up with.

I called our State Vet office in Windhoek to clarify this for you.
Firstly you are required to apply for the import form (trophies/animal products) at your local State Vet department. After completing your details the import form is then faxed through to the shipping agent.
At the back of this form is a section that has to be filled out by the VET of the country from which the trophies are to be shipped. Our State Vet then issues the export permit and clearance. This I was told is a requirement of Canada.

State Veterinary Services of Namibia
State Vet + 264 61 276580

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have found the answer. I contacted the Canadian Food Inspection agency and then asked for the District Vetranarian. The fellow I spoke to was very helpful and promised to research what I needed and get back to me. The CFIA is listed in the blue pages of your phone book . Hope this helps and I will post more as I find out more. Cheers.

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Thanks guys.

The provincial NRO doesn't know much about this, so I think it must be federal. I'll also do some research and get back to the board. Does anyone know if this same requirement is necessary on hunts south of the Vet fence?? I wonder if someone is confusing US with Canada, since we do not have states, but have Provinces instead. I'll try and get a copy of the form to scan and send up the board once I find it.

Thanks guys.

President & CEO

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheldon,

Here is a link to the CFIA and all the forms you should need: Canadian Food Inspection Agency

This is a federal responsibility, so you need to contact your local office of the Dept. of Agriculture - in the blue pages, as samwise says. The CFIA has vets across the country who are responsible for this sort of thing.

If you have any problems, PM me. I have some contacts in CFIA, and can try to get a name for you in your area.

However, if you check your blue pages and the website, you should have no problems.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo !

Nothing is ever easy it seems.. I'm not sure if I have ever had a shipment in from Africa without some kind of aggravation .. Aaarrrgghhh !! i.e. 1978 - we have seized your leopard skin and skull. Leopards are endangered so we are going to destroy it ! 1981 - we have seized your (spotted) hyena skull 'cause they are endangered ... Phone call from the Eastern United States in the early '80's .. we have pulled your shipment off the airplane to have them dipped. (again) It doesn't matter that you are waiting in Canada for them. Plane landed here first.. You can't bring an elephant into Canada. Different year .. same confusion all the time it seems .. Stuff like this has happened to me at least 7 times, Sheldon. And each time I got the proper (or even had it at the time) documentation and it all worked out fine .. Canuck is correct in that you pay the 7% duty on the dipping and packing. Not on the hunt, no matter what an ill informed agent might try to say. It has happened to a friend.. I brought my last shipment from Namibia about this time in 2003 .. it went O.K I didn't bother to bring anything from my last safari. My partner is just going to bring his trophies back as luggage the following year. Save the $700 .. or whatever .. Are you still interested in coming to my hunting camp in Northern Namibia this July or August ??? I haven't heard from you since before your moose hunt .. Did you have joy ? Richard Powell

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote