New
Find
Notify
Tools

First African Hunt...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, I haven't posted here in a long time, but I'm seriously thinking about my first African hunt now. I'm pretty sure I want to hunt Namibia, but I haven't narrowed it down to what outfitter I want to use or anything like this. My concern is this, I've never done a far away hunting trip before, should I hold off on Africa and do a trip to Canada or something before to go thru the red tape once, so I'm a little more prepared? I know I could make mistakes on a Canadian hunt, too, but it's a lot closer to home and it seems like there should be less hassle for an American to get into Canada than Africa, but correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't know anything about it. Anyway, if you guys could help me out with any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I don't see any reason to go somewhere else first to get your feet wet (pardon the pun). There are several booking agents that post here that can arrange an African hunt. I would advise using one of them to help answer your questions and plan your hunt. Also get in contact with a travel agent that does a lot of African travel like
Gracey Travel and enjoy. You will not regret going, the only regret would be not going.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin,

As Blacktailer has suggested there is no reason to go somewhere before Africa. Going to Canada is certainly not going to prepare you for an African safari. Also as he said an agent can help you with everything you need to know concerning your safari. Our company will assist you from the time you commit to the safari until your trophies arrive in the States. We'll prompt you on everything you need to know. Your first safari and the arrangements can be an intimidating undertaking and we can help with all of it. Feel free to contact me anytime. The dialoque is free.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to africa. You won't regret it Wink

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Indeed, go to Africa first. I also suggest you choose South Africa for your first safari and concentrate on taking its many species that are indigenous no place else.

For your next few safaris (there WILL be more than one), hunt Namibia for desert game, then move on to the less-developed countries.

If you start out with Zimbabwe (as I did), Botswana, Mozambique or elsewhere, hunting behind wire in South Africa will not seem as exciting when you do go there for its unique species (which you WILL).

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
By all means, go to Africa on your first foreign hunting trip -- and, you'll likely go back for your 2nd trip as well.

I'd choose South Africa for a 1st hunt, chasing plainsgame somewhere on the Eastern Cape. That way, the trip will be as easy as it gets plus almost gauranteeing that you'll see and have the opportunity to take more game than you've ever seen in one place before.

If memory serves, I took something over 20 plainsgame animals with a handgun on my 1st trip, all of them Gold Medal animals and 2/3's of them Top Ten, and finished up with a Cape Buffalo. With that kind of a start, Africa will always be first on my list of potential hunting destinations and I've returned several times since then.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ number next for Africa!
PM sent too.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Yep, if you want to go to Africa then go there! Namibia is a fine choice, it was my first destination as well.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
you got to do it....

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the posts and PMs, everyone. I appreciate it all, and I'm already starting to sort things out. I am kind of wondering, though, and I'm sure this is already a can of worms that's been opened here, but I don't think I want to do a ranch hunt in SA. I know a lot of places are like that in Namibia, too, but I'm hoping to get around that, I want to really experience Africa. I'm not saying those ranch hunts are guaranteed or canned hunts, it's just not what I want for my first African safari. I would like to go to ZIM for my first safari, but I think financially Namibia makes more sense for me right now. Thanks again for all the help so far, I'm sure I'll be bothering you all some more before I post my report on the safari! Big Grin

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Namibia has a number of communal conservancies where you could probably do a tented camp and have a non-ranch experience. That is what I did on my first trip.

Zimbabwe has a lot of different types of hunts and more dangerous game. I like hunting in a dangerous game area regardless of my particular quarry. I have not looked at the cost breakdown though.

Wherever you go, the most important thing is selecting a good PH/Safari Company who shares your goals for the hunt and who has access to a hunting area that makes it possible. Check references and do your homework.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you want a out of the world hunt try Uganda Big Grin Big Grin I love it there would not trade it for anything Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
JustinL01, Go to Africa !!!! There are many people on this forum that can guide you on the journey and reduce if not elimate the hassles. I have been to Canada 3 times hunting and can honestly say that it was less hassle going to Africa.(Other than the 16 - 18 hour flight) Have fun planning your trip and ask lots of questions.

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Don't be afraid of SA for your first hunt. If I had it to do all over again, SA would have been the place I headed.
There are some excellent places - especially Natal. If you give me some idea of what you are looking at hunting I can provide you with some prices - great deals going on right now.

Cheers,
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I waited until I was in my early 40's before I hunted Africa. Then of course I went back again. However, I'm glad that I hunted much of North America before I hunted Africa. I believe that Noth America big-game hunting is tougher, and I'm glad that I took those trips when I was younger. Also, since I have taken alot of North American big-game I don't have alot of interest in hunting Africa's plains game ( I did at one time). When I hunted Africa in the past it was for dangerous game, and when I go again I'm sure that it will again be for one of the big five.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first international hunt was in Botswana. Don't think twice. The toughest part, and it isn't that tough, is clearing your guns in Johannesburg. Hire a meet & greet and they will walk you through it.
You are doing the most important thing already, deciding what type of experience that you want. I read "really experience Africa" as a tented hunt in the bush where you aren't going to run in to locals every time you go around a turn. Being able to define the experience that you are looking for will go a long way towards making that first experience a great one.
Go for it.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aubrey Kent posts here is a great guy for clearing at jo'berg. took me about five mins in and out

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pennsyltucky
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard, "Greater Krueger" in Limpopo ZA is, more or less, no-fence. You could consider an outfitter w/ access in that area. My first trip was to ZA and to me anything above 10,000 HA is essentially fenceless when considering the ranges of most available species. Of course, as a trout angler, I do appreciate the concept of put and take, even in big "waters."

Posts: 93 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
If there are no tsetse flies or malaria then it ain't Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you hunt South Africa, think about renting a car and self-driving through Kruger for a week afterwards. I think a lot of guys hunt SA or Namibia, fly in and out, and never even see one of the big five.

The idea of touring Kruger wouldn't be much of an adventure for a lot of guys here, but for an American who's never been in the bush, it can be a bit of fun, even if it is a national park.

Think about it. You'll be on your own, maybe 20 miles from camp at times, no one else around - lion, elephant, rhino, buff. And they're just as dangerous (so stay in your car). Do the walks with a guide.

And back at camp in the evening you'll meet some great people.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I'll be taking my youngest brother to SA next year for his first safari to a large area close to Kruger. I have planned a 2 day trip photo tour of Kruger BEFORE the hunt. Reasons are to let him see the animals before he hunts them and to give us 2-3 days to recover from jet lag and let luggage catch up if needed.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin-
I have made one African safari and started in Namibia in 2009 at a large game ranch. It was just as expensive as I'll spend next year to go to Zim using an agent and you'll get a much 'wilder' experience in Zim. I am sure there are some great outfitters in Namibia but it also has its share of knuckleheads who you find out once you're there that it's their way or the highway. I got decent trophies but ended up being lied to on a couple of key parameters so shop very carefully. As a result, I am using Mokore Safaris next year and using Mark Young as an agent to get the type of experience that I really want. Best of luck. Despite a somewhat rocky start to Africa, I am hooked, like most of the people on this site, and will go back as many times as I can reasonably afford. One bright spot is that I beat the average and had my shoulder mounts and zebra rug hanging on the wall only one year after leaving Africa, which rarely happens.

Posts: 64 | Location: alaska | Registered: 02 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd choose South Africa for a 1st hunt, chasing plainsgame somewhere on the Eastern Cape.

....well there you have it. Just go through a reputable agent or Hunting outfitter.
referance important.
good luck
Dave

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Zambia for my first hunt with my two sons and we went on a cape Buffalo/PG hunt and that was the first time I ever hunted outside of canada. We had a great time.
I would reccommend that you go with a friend or hunting partner.
Sharing the adventure with someone you know makes it that much more enjoyable plus when you get back home you can talk and relive the hunting trip
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, just go to Africa! My son and I went in 2008 to RSA, and had a ball! That said, we are about to drop the hammer on a hunt in ZIM, depending on quota, for 2011 or 2012.

If you want to go to Zim, but not sure about hunting DG, you might look into hunting the Save, I'm told its wild africa, with lots of plains game.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote