New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sat Phones
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have friends that are preparing to leave for Africa in a couple of weeks.

They have decided that they want to purchase a Satellite phone to be used in Africa and anywhere else that they may travel.

So far it seems that the Iridium system offers the best/most coverage, am I correct?

Can anyone suggest service providers that we should talk to regarding service and phones?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Trent
Bakersfield, Ca.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Please see this thread
Satellite phone

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
Here is listing of over 20 sites that sell / rent sat phones.

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Business_to_B...ss/Satellite_Phones/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information... I will pass it along...

GPT

one of us
posted Hide Post
We had two Iridiums and bought two Thurayas.
Sold one of the Iridiums (good ridance) and the other one is down waiting on ???. Meanwhile the Thurayas just keep on working. The next one be will be another Thuraya.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I used a Thuraya last month in TZ and an Irridium two years ago in Zim. I don't know if the technology has changed over that time, but the Thuraya was far superior. The Irridium dropped calls routinely while it rarely happened with the phone this year.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thuraya is expanding their coverage south, which is great news, as their phones not in the same class as Iridium.

For the past two years, several of us have been using Thuraya on our travells, and I cannot re-call anyone being unhappy with them.

That has not been the case with Iridium - which we have useds previously. Sometime trying to make a 2 minute call home take an hour of busy lines and dropped calls.

We got rid of all our Iridium phones, and replaced all of them with Thuraya's.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67389 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
WE have used the [ Nera Mini M ] inmarsat for over 5 years now with full approval ///

We essentially use it as a (fixed base unit) at the Dendro Park ranch in Zambia, but it is fully transportable, but not as small or compact as some of the other (hand helds) BUT still it has proved itself to be particularily USEFUL for our specific deep bush requirements.

The coverage area is proberbly up with or better than any other in the world.

Nera Worldphone - pdf document

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that since the war started that the Irridium phones are terrible. My guess is that since the US Govt bought their network for $50 mil for unlimited usage a few years back that they needed more bandwidth since the war started at the expence of the consumers.

On a side note Outfitter Satelite Robbed me after I did about $6,000 in biz with them(I use the phone alot on trips). So do biz else where, what started out to be good people get real bad after a while. I just want my $1500 back.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Eric my friend,

Good to see you back with us again.

This time next week we are all going to be with Roy and Alan, chasing buffalo in a very wet are.

He told me a couple of days ago they had so much rain in Mahenge, we might need air boats to move around!

Which is great, as it means Walter will have to stay in camp!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67389 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Saeed & Party

Have a wonderful time in Tanzania with the Vincents and others ///

All the best to yourself and family

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote