THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best pocket field guide for South Africans animals

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best pocket field guide for South Africans animals
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted
I'm looking for a small pocket size field guide over the most common hunting animals in South Africa. Suggestions!!

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The books are pocket size, contact

Alan Bunn
P.O. Box 532
Ellijay, GA. 30540
TX:706-276-2608
FAX:706-276-2606
E-MAIL:apb@elljay.com

Posts: 9488 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are pocket sized, I just received mine last week.
Great book!

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, Kathi. I'm e-mailing Alan now.

Regards,
Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Tomjac,
if it is not specifically a shot placement guide you are looking for, then have a look at Burger Cillie's "The pocket photoguide to Mammals of Southern Africa"
It is a great little book which we isuue to our hunting association members. It has a picture of the crittur, a small range map, spoor, id tips and general information on habitat,food, mass, vocalisation, breeding cycles, trophy parameters (RW and SCI) etc

I know they have them on www.leisurebooks.com do a search under Burger Cillie. Cost is a bout R75 (=/- $12)

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Quote:

African Hunter's Shot Placement Guide gets my vote.

I like this one too.
Yet better, in my opinion is the "Pocket-Guide to Southern African Mammals", by Burger Cillie..
It contains more information on habitat etc, and covers all the Southern African countries..
BTW, Tomjac, I`ll fill in a hunting report with photos from Namibia, on Sluttstykke, if you`re interested.
Anders

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BTW, Tomjac, I`ll fill in a hunting report with photos from Namibia, on Sluttstykke, if you`re interested.
Anders

Please do so; I'm more than interested in that. I will make room on the main page as well if you want me to.

Have you been there already, or are you soon leaving? I'm leaving for South Africa (Easter Cape) this November and returning to Namibia next April.

BTW, I put in an order for all the above mentions guides.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
That sounds good! I`ll send you a pm regarding the report.
I`ve been in Africa twice. South Africa 2001 and Namibia this July.. The last hunt was great! Hunted with Boet Nel via Sparta.. Good hunting and good trophies!
Anders

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote