Find
Notify
Tools

Steel jacketed Hornady 416 solids
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I have approx. 80 of the older 400 grain with mild steel jacket, solids. I may use my 416 rem on an upcoming Buff hunt and I plan on using either the Swift 400 or the Nosler partition 400 for the soft points and since my rifle shoots them well and I have them, the Hornady solids. I have not read much positive about the reformulated Hornady solids, but I recall that the old style were good performers. Anyone with experience care to comment?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I have shot some of the hornadys, and I have recovered several. On many of the ones I retrieved the jacket had completely seperated from the core. A good bullet I would suggest is the woodleigh.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Use them, they're fine.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Lee,

With the advent of premium bullest most Ph's are recommending the first shot a soft like the swift or your partition and the rest are solids...I would not worry about having the old version...
Have a great hunt..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I just used them on a buff hunt this past June. Although my first two shots were Swift A Frames, the "fisnisher" was a old style Hornady solid that blew through both shoulders and out him down. I hoard my supply! Now the soft points are another story. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I am still not sure what big bore I will use, I am working on possibly acquiring a double 470. If that falls through, I have a 458 lott on a pre-64 M-70 and the 416 on an FN. The advantage for the 416 is that it is trim and light, will finish out around 8.5 lbs to the Lotts 10.5.
Decisions, decisions!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the old Hornady solids for year in 375 and 416 Rem, shot a lot of Buffalo with them, in fact that is all I used for many of those years and never had a problem...The late Geo. Hoffman used nothing else for the most part..

You couldn't go wrong on buffalo with a 416 full of old Hornady solids, don't know about the new encapsilated Hornadys.

However, if they will feed, the new flat nose solids from Bridger, Northfork, and GS Customs are about the only solids I use today as they are simply much more effective than the old round nose solids....

That said, the Northfork cup point is king of the buffalo bullets, it eliminate the need for a soft or a solid, They cover both bases and cover it well, at least on Buffalo.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 416 Hornady solids loaded in my Ruger 77/Rigby on buff a number of years ago without problems. I also used the 400 grain Hornady softs on plainsgame.

My PH used the same gun/cartridge for backup. Since ammo was difficult and expensive to obtain in Zimbabwe, I left all my ammo with him at the end of the hunt.

I saw him at the SCI convention a couple of years later. He wanted to confirm exactly what kind of bullets were in the ammo. He used all the ammo and wanted to get more just like it. He said both the softs and solids were very acurrate and performed well on game. He was stunned when I told him both the softs and solids were handloaded Hornadys.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote